Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 AM

115 posts, read 163,253 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected then, my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:08 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
Will you be upset when you can’t sell your house at all because of your successful lobbying on how bad it is and everyone should just stay put?
I am going to jump in from Pike County which is generally the same area. This statement above doesn't make sense to me. You ask an opinion then have an issue when someone gives a different or negative point of view. Their experience is just as real as anyone else's. I am making assumptions here but I don't think the individuals you disagree with are motivated by whether they can sell their house or not at a profit. They are giving their opinion of the area at large and it isn't pretty by any stretch. If you want cheap real estate, as a buyer, this is the place for you. However, don't think that you can sell said property for a profit in 5-10 years. That just isn't in the cards for this area.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 AM

115 posts, read 163,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I am going to jump in from Pike County which is generally the same area. This statement above doesn't make sense to me. You ask an opinion then have an issue when someone gives a different or negative point of view. Their experience is just as real as anyone else's. I am making assumptions here but I don't think the individuals you disagree with are motivated by whether they can sell their house or not at a profit. They are giving their opinion of the area at large and it isn't pretty by any stretch. If you want cheap real estate, as a buyer, this is the place for you. However, don't think that you can sell said property for a profit in 5-10 years. That just isn't in the cards for this area.

Read my previous post….I said I lost.

Read all of my previous posts I believe my tone was there are NEGATIVES and POSITIVES to this and any area, why is that not quoted? Also I didn’t say for a profit, I said at all. Profit isn't always the motivating factor for selling a house, retiree's sometime are interested in warmer climates.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM

8,076 posts, read 7,436,873 times
FYI Aldi in Stroudsburg is advertising for F/T associates starting at $11.25/hr. Aldi is a bag-it-yourself grocery store that sells off brand merchandise, so I guess F/T Associates are cashiers, etc.

I was surprised it was that high, with all the people who claim Wal-mart pays $8.00/hr. Then I found out a friend of my son's worked at Wal-Mart a year ago and she was making over $11.00/hr too.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 685 times
I've been living in middle Smithfield township for more than 12 years.
I agree that taxes has gone up but the area is great.
What I HATE is the weekend vacationers; They are the one that is messing up the place.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyJ View Post
I've been living in middle Smithfield township for more than 12 years.
I agree that taxes has gone up but the area is great.
What I HATE is the weekend vacationers; They are the one that is messing up the place.
that's what the people at the shore say about us NEPA posters

Old 09-13-2016, 02:16 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
@ Jimazee....
not this old Nepa homeboy...moved here when I was 5 yrs. old..

Everyone is welcome at the Jersey Shore..

you might get charged a bit extra for being out of State...for some stuff, like a Beach Badge... or Beach Buggy Pass at Island Beach State Park.

Jersey Natives can spot y'all because of your T- shirt or 'Farmers Tans'

but they also recognize you for your good manners, and you efforts to keep things clean, and spend money to contribute to the local beach economies..

Most locals prefer you Nepa folks over the Mongolian Horde like influx of North Jerseyans that invade every summer..

ymmv.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
that's what the people at the shore say about us NEPA posters
It wasn't me! I know it's not you, either.

Biggest mess I've seen there, at the shore, was two couples from New York with five kids between them. They'd taken over a pizza place, and all of the children were running around screaming. One little boy ran into a booth and knocked himself out.

I remember my mother saying, "I could see the accident before it happened." I think any reasonably intelligent parent can.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:04 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
The people donnashore are happy to see us. They welcome us, and our wallets, with open arms. After all, it's only for three months or so and they can go back to their blinking yellows.

Stroudsburg, on the other hand, sees the tourists for Summer (boating, swimming) and Winter (skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling).

Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
I was kinda kiddin earlier...but

while local businesses welcome the Bennies (or Shoobies) money, they are only a small portion of the full time residents and vacation home owners.

Until you've cleaned bottles, cans, and trash out of your yard in the morning, looked for the blanket or towels missing from the clothesline or porch, or watched families(?) park in front of your house, unload the cooler and chairs, sit on your sidewalk and eat lunch...then leave some of it in the gutter while they stroll up to the beach only to find they must PAY to access it and come back POd at everyone who owns a home there...

well I could go on but you probably get the idea...

Honestly the NEPA and PA crowds are usually civilized multi day or weekly renters who have a place to stay ( reminds me of the chant on the boards as it gets real late at night... "place to stay?...place to stay?") and act much better...

mcgoo was correct...the daytrippers (mostly from NNJ or NYC are the worst...especially at the holidays and busiest weekends in late July and early August.)

...most of the year it's really nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania