Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times

Advertisements

The little verbal battle at the council meeting last night puts another black eye on the city and council. This council and this administration is a joke and Judy Gatelli, Sherry Fanucci, and Bob McGoff are laughingstocks of Scranton. Judy Gatelli has no decorum whatsoever and should not even be a sitting council member. All you can do is laugh at these people. These are our elected officials and it tells a little tale about the sad state of affairs in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,517 times
Fay Franus is a joke. The whole council last night was a joke. Let's not just limit it to McGoff, Gatelli, and Fanucci. Evans stuck her face in where it didn't belong, yet again, and Courtright should have just kept it zipped and siezed the opportunity to show some maturity. All of them were disappointing. I thought they were grown-ups.

Who the f*ck cares who sits where? The body as a whole is useless as it is, no matter who's sitting to the left of the president or voting second or whatever. Franus was just stirring sh*t that had nothing to do with anything. That's all she knows how to do.

Can council get back to real business and leave this schoolyard crap outside? Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing all 5 seats up for election this year, since none of them seem to give a damn anymore.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Fay Franus is a joke. The whole council last night was a joke. Let's not just limit it to McGoff, Gatelli, and Fanucci. Evans stuck her face in where it didn't belong, yet again, and Courtright should have just kept it zipped and siezed the opportunity to show some maturity. All of them were disappointing. I thought they were grown-ups.

Who the f*ck cares who sits where? The body as a whole is useless as it is, no matter who's sitting to the left of the president or voting second or whatever. Franus was just stirring sh*t that had nothing to do with anything. That's all she knows how to do.

Can council get back to real business and leave this schoolyard crap outside? Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing all 5 seats up for election this year, since none of them seem to give a damn anymore.
Agreed. The council as a whole came of worse than the speakers. You're right. Clean house and get rid of all 5. This current council has ceased it's usefulness to the city of Scranton.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The council as a whole came of worse than the speakers.
No small feat, given the "regular" crop of speakers that frequent the meetings.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I had to work second-shift last night and had to miss the council meeting. Can someone please fill me in on as to what I missed?

Judging by these few replies I'm assuming Fay Franus whipped out her sheet of paper and began mindlessly quoting Judy Gatelli from four years ago or something simply to stir up political dirt and to infuriate Judy. I'm also guessing Gatelli fired back, and a bickerfest ensued between the two of them (why do they both hate each other so much, anyways?) Fanucci, being the fine damsel she is, probably came to Judy's defense with a snide remark that she thought was "clever," and McGoff probably tried (in vain of course) to restore order while Evans patted herself on the back with her usual self-serving "I'm the ONLY voice of DA LITTLE PEOPLE like Fay Franus" rants while Courtright kept silent and people snickered from the crowd like they were at a boxing match. Am I even mildly close?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
The mayor is trying to give the parking authority another million from the connell building project for the garage that they just recieved $35,000,000 to build last year. They have to refurbish 3 garages and rebuild one with the $35,000,000 but they should get another million. There are sooo many things in the city that could be done with a million dollars. It really could benefit the residents in a better way then the SPA.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I had to work second-shift last night and had to miss the council meeting. Can someone please fill me in on as to what I missed?

Judging by these few replies I'm assuming Fay Franus whipped out her sheet of paper and began mindlessly quoting Judy Gatelli from four years ago or something simply to stir up political dirt and to infuriate Judy. I'm also guessing Gatelli fired back, and a bickerfest ensued between the two of them (why do they both hate each other so much, anyways?) Fanucci, being the fine damsel she is, probably came to Judy's defense with a snide remark that she thought was "clever," and McGoff probably tried (in vain of course) to restore order while Evans patted herself on the back with her usual self-serving "I'm the ONLY voice of DA LITTLE PEOPLE like Fay Franus" rants while Courtright kept silent and people snickered from the crowd like they were at a boxing match. Am I even mildly close?
Well, in hindsight I just read the article in the Times-Tribune, and I wasn't too far off. I was shocked actually to see that normally complacent and silent Mr. Courtright was actually the one who flew off the handle and provoked the fight. In this sense now all five council members have a history of boorish behavior, and they set a poor example for those approaching the podium when they themselves can't even maintain the slightest sense of decorum. They ought to be ashamed of themselves! Personal vendettas need to be left out of council chambers!

P.S. Why did Janet feel the need to chime in with her two cents only to incite Judy even more? Some "saint" she is when she only sought to add fuel to the fire. I wish I could have seen this!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Well, in hindsight I just read the article in the Times-Tribune, and I wasn't too far off. I was shocked actually to see that normally complacent and silent Mr. Courtright was actually the one who flew off the handle and provoked the fight. In this sense now all five council members have a history of boorish behavior, and they set a poor example for those approaching the podium when they themselves can't even maintain the slightest sense of decorum. They ought to be ashamed of themselves! Personal vendettas need to be left out of council chambers!

P.S. Why did Janet feel the need to chime in with her two cents only to incite Judy even more? Some "saint" she is when she only sought to add fuel to the fire. I wish I could have seen this!
Maybe someone will post it on You Tube. It does make for good entertainment, even though that's not the purpose of city government meetings. But this entire council has made a circus of the meetings.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 AM

It's not just the council members who are to blame for the circus atmosphere of the meetings. Don't oversimplify it. Some of the loons taking the podium are at least as much, if not more, to blame as the councilmen and women. Honeslty, what did (does) it matter who sits where and who votes (voted) when? And why did it take that idiot Franus until the 5th week to bring it up? Some of the speakers are there only to be confrontational, with nothing in their agenda that benefits the city as a whole. Evans needs to shut that pie hole once in a while--not everything needs long winded input from her (she chided someone for cutting into Franus' time, and then proceeded to take up some of Franus' time??), and Courtright should have shown enough dignity to not have slung insults. He was no better than the speakers in that instance. Yes, Gatelli took a cheap shot. But it wasn't the responsibility of any of the others to address it and make themselves look like fools in the process. It should have been let to slide for the time being, and dealt with behind closed doors. McGoff needs to be more assertive and quicker on the gavel. We all know there are speakers who simply play to the camera. The five of them (guilty of it as they may be, as well) know it, too. The First Amendment does not give anyone the right to be an a$$hole.

Council needs to keep (start??) moving forward, and stop insisting on dwelling on the past. Leave personal differences out of it. Really. None of what happened Tuesday benefitted anyone.

Some of the loons taking the podium are just as much to blame as the councilmen and women.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 AM

28 posts, read 78,275 times
The cameras and the LOD have completely taken away all the credibility of City Council. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to that harrasment. These lowlifes who badger council and smear them on websites, scare away REAL candidates for the positions.

Now the whole City of Scranton suffers because of the unqualified council members that got elected. I would not want Gatelli, Fanucci, or Evans near any position of power, period! Courtright is a nice guy, but lets face facts, he's far from being the sharpest tool in the thread.

Remember when we had intelligent, capable, and professional council members. Pocius, Hazzouri, Doherty, Reap, etc. Sadly those days are long gone. No intelligent person would put themselves through that hell. So sadly we are stuck with people like Janet Evans, Judy Gatelli, and Sherry fanucci running our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania