Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:11 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepa76 View Post
I didn't say diversity wasn't a myth. The large areas, south side, west side, etc, where the problems are are concentrations of minorities, when a few move in they're quickly followed by more of the same race until entire blocks are switched over, so an all black, or all Hispanic block isn't diverse, it's a concentration.

All of the homes that were converted into low income apartments in my neighborhood are not owned by greedy locals, they're owned by out of state slumlords, mainly residing in NY, NJ, or Delaware. Just was warned by my longtime neighbor today that a member of the bloods gang has just moved in to a low income black rental at the end of my block. Word is he just got paroled from prison. This is coming from her son who works as a corrections officer. So this gang banger is now just a few doors down living directly across the street from a drug dealing shop fronted as a hair cutting shop.

It's not those of us who've lived here all our lives that are dragging the area down, it's the low income trash from NY and NJ, and other countries, that are dragging the area down into ghettos. When you see these properties crumbling and tenants flipping monthly there's nothing actual home owners can do except report them to the city gov. There are currently three houses on my street alone that are now condemned and and slated for tearing down because the landlord's allowed renters to literally destroy the places. I spoke to a city inspector that was checking on the abandoned house across the street from my house a few weeks ago and all three condemned houses are owned by new Yorkers who have not responded to claims sent by the city. That's a drain on the city, not long time residents.

not in my experience---ninety per cent of the drug users,drunks,recent out of prison persons are LOCALS,non ethnic with connections,living in poor housing managed or owned by LOCAL slumlords posing as legitimate businessmen(or managed by the corrupt low income housing managers)----as to gangs---they have been here for over 20 years----why not?? the drugs are well established here and some big shot is profiting from them---not the gang low men who frequently get targeted cause they are black(in my hood--it's the white kids of long time families that are using and dealing) and those families---all i can say is OY!

THE BREAKING BAD SERIES COULD HAVE BEEN FILMED HERE!

the tenants in my neighboorhood and building flip monthly and it is all white of closely related or connected long time locals (working at perpetuating living off the government handouts) i had less issues to deal with when i lived in a diverse neighborhood in another area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:04 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
I wonder if the upstate NY cities might be a better choice for the OP, i.e. Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse. That is, if you can deal with snow coming with the cooler temps.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I wonder if the upstate NY cities might be a better choice for the OP, i.e. Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse. That is, if you can deal with snow coming with the cooler temps.
it may be---have friends near rochester and they love it--it sure does snow though!

suburban philly is nice but very expensive,as is north jersey,but not south jersey area--not sure about taxes on property though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania