Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 PM

910 posts, read 2,980,009 times

Advertisements

We all know how everyone feels about their regular programs but how about their special education? Special needs includes gifted as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:44 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,509,951 times
Pocono, I thought I would jump in here. I think you have raised an excellent intelligent point. As a past educator myself, I did not see "gifted" addressed in the PA schools like "special education". It has always been an interest of mine. I know a couple of teachers in the New Jersey school system that teach gifted children and I do think there is a great need for it in our districts. I found a web site that you might be interested in. Does Wallenpaupack have any programs available for "gifted" students besides the regualar A.P. courses??

NAGC - What is Gifted?

Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,509,951 times
Pocono, Sorry I could not be of help. I might suggest that you call the District office and see what they have to offer in the Western-Wayne S.D. Good luck.
The Hat

Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM

910 posts, read 2,980,009 times
Yes I called the district but my question is a bit tricky. If a child has an IEP for special ed, they can attend whatever school best fits their needs, including neighboring districts. So I'm trying to find out if my son has an IEP for gifted ed does it work the same way that he can go wherever best fits his needs? They've yet to call me back so we'll see. I do know there are gifted programs in the districts here but dont know anyone in them.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM

996 posts, read 3,264,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Pocono, I thought I would jump in here. I think you have raised an excellent intelligent point. As a past educator myself, I did not see "gifted" addressed in the PA schools like "special education". It has always been an interest of mine. I know a couple of teachers in the New Jersey school system that teach gifted children and I do think there is a great need for it in our districts. I found a web site that you might be interested in. Does Wallenpaupack have any programs available for "gifted" students besides the regualar A.P. courses??

NAGC - What is Gifted?
I can answer your question regarding Wallenpaupack. Yes, there is a gifted program that starts in elementary school and goes until graduation. My daughter has been a part of it since second grade. And it is treated somewhat like special education in that there is an IEP every year that must be submitted and a plan of action to provide challenging work for the student in accordance with their interests and abilities. In high school they are allowed to take a half credit course or they can just participate as their schedule allows.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM

470 posts, read 1,702,114 times
Does PA have a program wherein academically advanced students can attend community college at no charge during their junior and senior year? My new home in WA has this program, it's called "Running Start", and I was wondering if this could be a solution to lack of challenge for your son, if it is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania