Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As I'm sitting here freezing my heinie off, yes I think you are insane to leave Florida for any place north. But seriously, this is a nice area to raise children but you should really get a job here BEFORE moving. IMO, the job market here just isn't very good. I know so many people who are well qualified for jobs yet still struggle to find a decent paying job in their field.
I thought that you would have had your CDL by this time and were warm and cozy in a sleeper birth! Are you going to be around for some time? You could give prospective new NEPA residents your take on life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here it is supposed to snow for about four hours if they are correct. I mounted my plow; just incase! Actually; I had to move the plow out to where I can get easy access to it.
yikes!

i can't believe that winter is already here for you people in Nepa..I would tell you to be careful and use caution, but you guys are used to this stuff and know the drill,

The front of my house gers NO sun from the second week of November into the last week of Jan.
So I am usaully putting up the outside Christmas decorations in a cold NW wind and no sun.

We are supposed to get off and on ran starting tonight, running on to Thurs..then a cold snap for next weekend.
Keep warm, my Nepa friends.
Fisheye, what type of vehicle do you mount your plow to?

Old 12-04-2016, 10:24 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It's different from area to area, too. The people who post here live (or have lived) in Wilkes-Barre, Kingston, Scranton, somewhere out in Monroe County.

My brother and his wife lived in Wilkes-Barre for many years, but wanted a big yard, so they moved to Laflin. They love it there. My high school friend lives in the house on South Street in W-B his mom and dad bought many years ago. He works in the trades. The guy I used to date in my 20s got the family house in the township and the small business in Mountain Top.

These people and many more are reasonably happy and comfortable because they have or had jobs. No place looks good if you can't find work or don't earn a living wage.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:52 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
yikes!

i can't believe that winter is already here for you people in Nepa..I would tell you to be careful and use caution, but you guys are used to this stuff and know the drill,

The front of my house gers NO sun from the second week of November into the last week of Jan.
So I am usaully putting up the outside Christmas decorations in a cold NW wind and no sun.

We are supposed to get off and on ran starting tonight, running on to Thurs..then a cold snap for next weekend.
Weather.com says it's 48 degrees there...but feels like 44. The rain is heading in your direction. At least it's not snow. Wouldn't it be great if it started snowing on Christmas Eve and it all melted on the 26th?

Your post prompted me to check for ice melt. I have a large, full bag.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:20 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
yikes!

I have a 2004 2500 Silverado - but a nice 2014 Western contractor grade plow! I also have and 18% grade 300 foot long driveway and then about 200 feet at the top to plow. I used to do it with smaller equipment but I got lazy and the heavy duty truck helps out around the Ponderosa.

Here it is better to be prepared; even when it is not always needed.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 AM

269 posts, read 295,769 times
Unless you have a good job lined up (that won't go away after a few years), I would stay away. My folks are both out of work and having a tough time getting anything.

Allentown and the surrounding area have experienced some revitalization. If you want to be closer to your parents, that might be a good compromise.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 PM

331 posts, read 639,485 times
I don't know if the OP has even visited since posting, but I would echo what others have said about getting a job before moving to the area. Realistically, you're going to have a hard time doing that. As others have said, the job market is pretty grim. I don't know what made you nostalgic for the area, but I'd recommend just visiting and not overdoing it by moving back there.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
I grew up there, spending my first 24 years of my life in "The Valley". I've been gone for over 30 years now but still make regular trips "home" to visit my folks and friends.
I have fond memories of playing on the old colliery yards, hunting & fishing, and the pizza. Ahhhh, the pizza! But I've seen the changes over the years and know that it's not the "old" valley that I grew up in. Yes, Sabatini's Pizza is still there and it gets my business practically every trip "home", as does Kaminsky's for some smoked kielbasi. But, the people have change, as they do everywhere given time.
If I end up there again, it will be because of responsibilities (taking care of the parents as they age). But going "home" will be geographic only; the home I remember has slipped into the past.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
nicely said MikMal...
However I will keep going back every year...I'm only a few hours away..

My parents, Uncles, Grandparents, Great Grandparents are all buried there.

I visit the graves,put flags on the Vets graves, ride by the old houses.etc.

As long as I am physically able, I will continue to return.
Not bragging, but I have been fortunate to have visited many distant places in my life..

'back home' still remains one of my most favorite destinations.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
But going "home" will be geographic only; the home I remember has slipped into the past.
Same as I feel about Brooklyn....I grew up in Bklyn during the 60's & 70's....downtown Bklyn & Sunset Park....but its sad to see how much it has changed since then....many of the ol' timers are gone just like the neighborhood itself....and the way it is now I wouldn't live there if they gave me a place to live for free....I don't miss city living after being out here permanently since 2007.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania