Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

PA is the highest?
Highest state fuel tax, yes. This however is not something easy to pin down. NJ's may be lower but they make up for it with other taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mom had to drive further and further for full service. She never got used to pumping her own gas.
Actually, since the Hess station in Stroudsburg closed a couple of years ago I wouldn't know where to find a full service gas station in Monroe County, if there is one.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's nice but I have the choice of getting it pumped for me or not. The reason gas is lower in NJ is because of taxes. Even with the tax increase you are now up to average and PA has the highest in the nation. . You pay for it with other taxes.
We went over this last year... self service places in Pa. are as scarce as Hens Teeth..and you really pay more for full service if you find one.....Jersey; just one low price for full service.

We can afford to pay a little more too..we are one of the richest States in the Union..
My county (Mercer) the median income is 71,217 USD..for comparison purposes, I believe Luzerne County in Pa. is approx. $23,245.

I'm sure some people would rather pump their own in NJ but we don't have a choice..there are a couple of rural gas stations that I hit early mornings going fishing at the Jersey shore..they could give a rats arse about the rules, and let you pump your own..they don't have to get up from their morning paper and coffee.

Like I said, 'Whatever floats your boat'...
I don't think I will be moving back to Wilkes Barre/Plains area anytime soon..and
I don't think you will be moving to NJ ever, Coalman.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 01-09-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Oops...^ first line, I meant to say FULL service places are as scarce as Hen's teeth..mea culpa

Speaking of that simile 'Scarce as Hens Teeth' it reminds me of the Priest who presided over my parents joint burial ceremony at a Cemetery in Plains, Pa back in 2001...

He was a local ...older guy with a thick 'Old School' area accent.

He was remarking about all the people that left the Valley but wanted to come back to be buried, and their children were always looking for burial plots at the Church cemetery..

I told him my parents had reserved graves in our family plot area since 1961...

He answered;
'Yah, Dey were smart, but dese people dat come lookin' wit'out reservations, find out dat burial spots here are as scarce as a Hound toot'

Old 01-09-2017, 07:12 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
We knew what you meant. Mom finally got a guy at the former full serve place to pump gas for her. Nice guy.

I don't shop gas prices. I'm certainly not going to go to a station which charges 30 cents more than the place down the road, but I'm also not going to drive miles to save 3 cents a gallon.

Things could be worse; we could live in CA.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap...19695776877654

Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Well...All I can say is your Mom must be as charming and likeable as you, Dearest.
I only know you from this site, but rest assured, I would fight Dragons for you..

but I wouldn't pump any gas for you.. Somewhere, lines must be drawn.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Asking to have my car filled by an attendent... When I am capable?

I drive 81 rte, and saw gas price in 20 mile area.. Go from $2.35, to $2.67.
I pulled into the $2.35 place, paid my amount and moved along.

It's not challenging to pump gas .. But I just can't ask another adult to do what I am well and capable of doing.
Wasn't aware of the more taxation...
Did see that turnpike fees are rising again...

Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

It's not challenging to pump gas .. But I just can't ask another adult to do what I am well and capable of doing.
Capable can change from day to day. My friend is an independent contractor. He works the sites, and he also has a bad back. He's all up or all down. On his worst day, his disabled brother drove him to the hospital.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:28 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

By the way; here is an interesting site: USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com. Just put in your zip code and the prices of all gas stations around you will pop up. On the site's national map it looks like the West Coast now has the highest prices; I always thought we did!

I would not mind the higher prices if we ever fixed our roads so they did not have to be re-fixed every year! We are not great at building roads to last!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
..and you really pay more for full service if you find one.....Jersey; just one low price for full service.
You have no idea what the price would be for self service in NJ, whatever the case it would be lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania