Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unikrn69 View Post
Just so you know the center is operated on donations only the tax payer's money does not go to the center and if it were not for the center being there then the park would still be a haven for drug dealers and prostitutes and the homeless. Maybe if the tax payers of Scranton were to pull together the center could be a beutiful place for the animals. So people should stop knocking the center down and start building it up to where it could be. The director who takes care of those animals has a heart so much so that when one of her animals pass away she has a cerimony for them. Can the people of Scranton say they care that much for thier pets to show that thier life was meaningful? Maybe some can but not the ones who put Margaret down for careing. They have no heart they would rather you kill the animals then to feed and house them.

Firts lets start by saying that the GWC had NOTHING to do with cleaning the park up. Also your commenst about people and their pets is ignorant at best. I would never allow my pets to live in the conditions at the GWC, I would never allow my pets to live in such cramped quarters. MY pets are treated better then most people in the city are being treated.

Maybe Ms. Miller should stop worrying about holding ceremonies for her PETS and get down to running a business and a proper animal sanctuary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Firts lets start by saying that the GWC had NOTHING to do with cleaning the park up.
From a suburbanite's perspective it was actually a large variety of factors that drew me into the park. The reinvigoration of the Genesis Wildlife Center was one of the low "selling points" that attracted me to the park. I was much more impressed by the Davis Trail down to the Nay Aug Gorge waterfall when it first opened to much fanfare. I am a huge fan of Ricketts Glen State Park, but why drive 40 minutes and then hike a few miles to be relaxed by the sounds of falling water when I can just shoot 10-15 minutes up I-81 and get the same satisfaction? A lot of people unfamiliar with the park (or even Scranton in general) have been drawn there due to the impressive number of annual festivals, charity walks, and other special events hosted there. As more and more people were drawn to the park for these events they became aware of the park's benefits (and of course its many challenges), which is why there is now so much more civic involvement in restoring the park to its former grandeur.

You're probably the only person I've met thus far who thinks the park is worse off now than before 2000. Is it a money pit? Most certainly. However, not ALL of that money was "wasted," Dan. Tell that to the low-income children who enjoy Free Swim Days at the park with the awesome water slide. Tell that to the handicapped children who are able to enjoy the new swing set that was built with money raised by city teenagers. Tell that to the many bird-watchers, photographers, and hikers alike who now enjoy the park. Yes, Dan, I agree that the city has many of its priorities confused, but the park really IS a nice place if you'd look at it OVERALL instead of just staring at the ruts in the Davis Trail or the emaciated-looking animals at the wildlife center. Once again you're just fixating on the negatives. You may have no use for this park since you live across town, but stop antagonizing those of us who DO like visiting the park. For what it's worth I always donate generously when I visit the wildlife center, and I also give a nice donation when driving through the park for its annual Christmas lights display. I'm not just someone who takes and takes without giving anything back.

I hate to get under your skin, Dan, but your incessant portrayal of Nay Aug Park as being the "money pit from hell" is just totally unfair. Would you rather it still be sitting there rotting away?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You're probably the only person I've met thus far who thinks the park is worse off now than before 2000. Is it a money pit? Most certainly. However, not ALL of that money was "wasted," Dan. Tell that to the low-income children who enjoy Free Swim Days at the park with the awesome water slide. Tell that to the handicapped children who are able to enjoy the new swing set that was built with money raised by city teenagers.

but the park really IS a nice place if you'd look at it OVERALL instead of just staring at the ruts in the Davis Trail or the emaciated-looking animals at the wildlife center.

Wow Paul you got all that from one line in a post that was a response to the poster indicating that the GWC had a hand in cleaning up the park....

Its so far from the truth, the GWC can't even clean its own cages nevermind the park.

Sure Paul the park LOOKS better but so does a pig with lipstick.......

Priorities backwards? Ya think. We dump $10,000,000 into a park for pure political reasons and then don't do anymore maintenance to it after that.

Free Swim for kids is PAID FOR by the TAXPAYERS ASSOC and it does NOT include the sliding board which is an additional charge by the way. The swimming is not free at Nay Aug at anytime ever unless the Assoc. pays the kids fees for a day, nice right? Sure but you don't hear about that in the times do ya.

Nay Aug is a huge drain, the city business administrator is quoted in the Times saying that the city "cannot afford to even pay its own bills" and we have to refinance a debt loan so we don't default on it and you think its ok that they spent $10,000,000 in ONE PARK...

Of course you do Paul, why wouldn't you...You get to go home to Pittston while the rest of us pay the bills for you to have a good time in Nay Aug.

The GWC should be ashamed of itself for putting those emaciated-looking animals on display and the city should be ashamed of ityself for allowing it to continue because it reflects on the city poorly ....

Kind of funny though considering the conditiuons in the GWC are slowly becoming closer and closer to the conditions in the city.

MY PRIDE IS RESTORED!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Wow Paul you got all that from one line in a post that was a response to the poster indicating that the GWC had a hand in cleaning up the park....

Its so far from the truth, the GWC can't even clean its own cages nevermind the park.

Sure Paul the park LOOKS better but so does a pig with lipstick.......

Priorities backwards? Ya think. We dump $10,000,000 into a park for pure political reasons and then don't do anymore maintenance to it after that.

Free Swim for kids is PAID FOR by the TAXPAYERS ASSOC and it does NOT include the sliding board which is an additional charge by the way. The swimming is not free at Nay Aug at anytime ever unless the Assoc. pays the kids fees for a day, nice right? Sure but you don't hear about that in the times do ya.

Nay Aug is a huge drain, the city business administrator is quoted in the Times saying that the city "cannot afford to even pay its own bills" and we have to refinance a debt loan so we don't default on it and you think its ok that they spent $10,000,000 in ONE PARK...

Of course you do Paul, why wouldn't you...You get to go home to Pittston while the rest of us pay the bills for you to have a good time in Nay Aug.

The GWC should be ashamed of itself for putting those emaciated-looking animals on display and the city should be ashamed of ityself for allowing it to continue because it reflects on the city poorly ....

Kind of funny though considering the conditiuons in the GWC are slowly becoming closer and closer to the conditions in the city.

MY PRIDE IS RESTORED!
I was just at this park a few weeks ago. What animals are emaciated?? I was quite impressed with the way I saw those animals being treated. I was there during feeding time and saw all of the monkeys being fed fresh fruits and veggies, fruit smoothies, and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches! There were several people there caring for them during my visit, the birds were being attended to, their cages were clean. Are we talking about the same place?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
The taxpayers of Scranton have to foot the bills for "Doherty's Dream Park". I would rather have seen the money that went to that silly bridge and tree house go to something more meaningful in the city. Outsiders who come to Scranton and rave how beautiful it is do not have to pay for it. I have lived here for over 6 years and have been to Nay Aug maybe three times. It is not on my mind at all on the list of things to do. So big deal, the park looks better, you can paint a garbage can a pretty color, but it's still a garbage can.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I was just at this park a few weeks ago. What animals are emaciated?? I was quite impressed with the way I saw those animals being treated. I was there during feeding time and saw all of the monkeys being fed fresh fruits and veggies, fruit smoothies, and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches! There were several people there caring for them during my visit, the birds were being attended to, their cages were clean. Are we talking about the same place?
Your the only one that has seen what you claim. I mean no one, not the letter writers to the editor of the Times or posters here, will agree with what you have seen. Even Luna would have to disagree with the conditions at the GWC.............

Check the posts here about the subject and read some of MBS7's posts about the GWC. Its horrid and over crowded and they have the gaul to bring in two more big cats.

Since when are PBJ sandwiches considered healthy for primates? What were they feeding the birds, chicken wings?

Wait maybe the mayor came in to fix it so he can campaign on it, if thats true then it will be a wreck next year after the election..

Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 PM

45 posts, read 132,434 times
Quote:

weluv, i guess you didn't hear it at all, let alone in the Times, because the fee includes the pools AND the slides for $3.00/day. not to mention the rest of the city's 6 pools are free every day. $3.00 for a day at the pool and enjoying the slides isn't a ridiculous price. actually, when you think of it, it's less than a gallon of gas. when you're giving information, you should at least check your facts for accuracy.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
weluv, i guess you didn't hear it at all, let alone in the Times, because the fee includes the pools AND the slides for $3.00/day. not to mention the rest of the city's 6 pools are free every day. $3.00 for a day at the pool and enjoying the slides isn't a ridiculous price. actually, when you think of it, it's less than a gallon of gas. when you're giving information, you should at least check your facts for accuracy.
I just don't understand the big brou-ha-ha over charging admission to use the pools. West Pittston has a very popular public pool, and the last I heard residents of the borough (and non-residents alike now that Pittston's pool is closed permanently) don't mind paying up to use this facility. Wouldn't it make sense to charge a "user fee" so that the majority of an amenity's maintenance can be funded by those who use it? If swimming was made free in city pools, then you'd see even more Legion of Doomers foaming at the mouth at the city council podium complaining about having to pay taxes to fund something that THEY PERSONALLY do not use.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
Quote:
Your the only one that has seen what you claim. I mean no one, not the letter writers to the editor of the Times or posters here, will agree with what you have seen. Even Luna would have to disagree with the conditions at the GWC.............

Check the posts here about the subject and read some of MBS7's posts about the GWC. Its horrid and over crowded and they have the gaul to bring in two more big cats.

Since when are PBJ sandwiches considered healthy for primates? What were they feeding the birds, chicken wings?

Wait maybe the mayor came in to fix it so he can campaign on it, if thats true then it will be a wreck next year after the election..
I don't really care if anyone agrees with what I saw..lol. I know what I saw, tyvm What reason would I have to lie about what I saw? There were piles of fresh fruits and vegetables given to the animals while I was there. I remember thinking "wow, they eat better than I do!" I just didn't experience emaciated or neglected animals there, sorry to disappoint ya.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
Sorry about that........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania