Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,314 times

Advertisements

My job is looking to relocate to the Scranton area and need some advice on what towns are nice with a good school system. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgirl08 View Post
My job is looking to relocate to the Scranton area and need some advice on what towns are nice with a good school system. Any suggestions??
I could suggest a myriad of possibilities for you to consider right now, so it would be nice if you could give us just a wee bit more information in order for us to narrow down your options. For example, what type of environment do you want your home to be in (walkable urban neighborhood, suburban housing development, rural with acreage, small town feel, etc.)? What would be a reasonable price range for you to consider? How old is/are your child/children? Where in the Scranton "area" exactly are you being relocated to?

If you could give us a bit more information, we'd all love to help you. Also don't rule out the city proper of Scranton just yet.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,314 times
We would like an area that has stores close by and a house with at least an acre. We are looking for a 4 bedroom house. I have one son that is 3 but are hoping to add to the family. We both work for the same company and as of now I do not know the exact area of Scranton they are looking at. All I know is that our job is looking to buy a building that was built for Corning and they never moved in. Right now we live in Sussex county NJ and are very happy here. I don't want a very busy area but I also do want to be out in the boonies. Would not like to spend more that 300K.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
We would like an area that has stores close by and a house with at least an acre. We are looking for a 4 bedroom house. I have one son that is 3 but are hoping to add to the family. We both work for the same company and as of now I do not know the exact area of Scranton they are looking at. All I know is that our job is looking to buy a building that was built for Corning and they never moved in. Right now we live in Sussex county NJ and are very happy here. I don't want a very busy area but I also do want to be out in the boonies. Would not like to spend more that 300K.
That building that you referenced is about ten minutes north of Scranton and just off I-81. If we're thinking of the same building, then the Clarks Summit and/or Waverly areas would be a good place to consider. The Abington Heights School District here is routinely rated amongst the best in the region in terms of overall state test scores, SAT scores, graduation rates, etc. It is rather expensive---the most affluent part of the region as a matter of fact---but you can still find a nice 4-bedroom home here in the low-$200k range, and if you and your husband are both planning on working for this company, you should hopefully be earning enough to afford a home in the $200,000-$250,000 range. You'll be rather close to Dickson City from the Clarks Summit/Waverly area, and it is in Dickson City where you'll find the 90-store Viewmont Mall (anchored by Macy's, JCPenney, and Sears), Wal-Mart Supercenter, Target, Wegman's Foods, Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot, Borders, etc. Clarks Summit itself has a small downtown with some yuppie businesses like an organic foods market, exotic gift store, kitchen cutlery boutique, yarn studio, etc.

Your best bet might be Scott Township in the Montdale or Chapman Lake areas, which will put you strategically near to your workplace, Scranton, Dickson City, and Clarks Summit via I-81. I believe Scott Township is part of the Lakeland School District, which is less well-acclaimed than Abington Heights, but it's still supposed to be a good public school district.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:21 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times
Quote:
Welcome njgirl08,You should definitely check out Clarks Summit.I recently retired and have a home there.It is not far from Scranton,and is a combination of rural,and city like.You can get a nice home and land for 200k to300k with land,the taxes vary from 2k-4k very good school district,alot of nice friendly people,It is a very safe area to live also.Feel free to ask if you have any questions,everyone here is very helpful,actually the info SWB gave you is very accurate about the area. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 PM

29 posts, read 118,115 times
This is my first post on the forum. I own a residential/commercial appraisal firm in the Greater Scranton area. Hopefully I can give the OP a somewhat subjective opinion here.

I'm in total agreement with what SWB said. Land and homes are a little less expensive in the Lakeland S.D. than the Abington Heights S.D.

Another bonus, the Corning Site is located closer to areas in Lakeland schools, so your commute will be lessened with the proximity of I-81.

If you still want Abington schools, I would instruct whomever is helping you locate a house to specifically look into Newton Township (far from job), Ransom Township (even further), Abington Township (expensive but close), Glenburn Township (somewhat less expensive than Abington Twp.), and North Abington Township (close to I-81 and job; one of least expensive municipalities of Abingtons).

Feel free to pick my brain here, it's free. In the real world it's gonna cost you

Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 PM

29 posts, read 118,115 times
I'm still in disbelief that the Corning Site is finally going to be utilized. That is one of the hidden commercial/industrial gems in NePa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania