Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a house in hemlock and the CS to basement ratio is like 80/20. Then I looked at listings outside of HF, still mostly CS. I asked about CS on the house thread but I thought I should ask people who live there... why are basements not the norm? I'm so surprised by this and the thought of living with a CS is not appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I'm looking for a house in hemlock and the CS to basement ratio is like 80/20. Then I looked at listings outside of HF, still mostly CS. I asked about CS on the house thread but I thought I should ask people who live there... why are basements not the norm? I'm so surprised by this and the thought of living with a CS is not appealing.
In my area we have a high water table. Many of the houses are on slab or have above ground basements. When we were house hunting nearly every house we saw with a basement had clear water issues. The staining on the walls and damaged concrete were dead giveaways along with running sump pumps.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Yeah, the high water table in the Poconos is the main reason.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 AM

I was on the website for a popular home inspector in the area and he has a lot of pictures of bad crawl spaces and like 1-2 bad basements. I'm personally terrified of them.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
The house we live in near Harding has a basement, really high water table. When they built in 1950 they apparently used a lot of drain tiles. There is also drains in the slabs and during wet weather it literally sounds like a creek running under the basement.

That pipe extends about 300 feet out to the road on lower part of the property. Water will pour out of it for days after heavy rain. It works well enough considering it's age but we did have it back up into the basement twice, this was back during Irene and Lee. Fortunately it's very clean water so mold was not a huge issue. We now have a sump pump and extra pump on hand in case it happens again.

The houses in town in the Wyoming Valley will almost all have basements.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:57 AM

The homes have sump pumps and I had a back up mad dog system and dehumidifier in my Indiana home. I would get it for any basement home because it makes me comfortable. The sump pump went out in my other house before we had the back up and I got about a 1/2 inch of water and while it wasn't a tragedy, I had to dump a lot of stuff and do about 20 loads of laundry. I got the back up the next day.
Is there a way I can compare the Pennsylvania water table to the Indiana one to see if they are similar? That would give me a better idea if I'm dealing with a comparable situation.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I was on the website for a popular home inspector in the area and he has a lot of pictures of bad crawl spaces and like 1-2 bad basements. I'm personally terrified of them.
Where I live we have always had a dry basement. However, six miles to our south, my parents had problems with water in their basement. Much of this has to do with the French drainage system or the planning for the placement of the house on the lot and final back fill.

What you should be looking for are homes that have hills that run straight down against the house - where the water has no place to runoff. Of course some houses are on totally flat land and that can be a problem. If there is a hill, on one side of the house, you want to see where the contractor had contoured the land to allow water to drain away from the house.

Of course there is no way for potential buyers to see old, installed, French drains. However you could ask where the French drains exit and observe if water is running out.

But, of course, the home inspection should point out many of these problems. But don't do a home inspection during a draught - pick very wet times of the year. Even the visual drive-by could spot potential problems during heavy rain. You might see lakes or a swamp in the yard - not a good sign.

I hate crawl spaces because I don't like crawling to fix problems. Our first home had a crawl space and we ended up with a broken sewage line. I had an industrial spray disinfectant and was crawling through with a flashlight in one hand and the disinfectant in the other had when I spotted a skunk with it's tail up only three feet from my face! I shot it first with the spray disinfectant and it put down it's tail and ran away! By the time I finished fixing the problem, getting sprayed by the skunk, could have improved my smell! I hate crawl spaces and I am glad we do not have one today!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
:^ you tell a great story Fisheye

Off topic I know, but what is it with you and your encounter with polecats?

I remember the one about you gathering nightcrawlers one evening and a skunk rubbed up against your leg and you almost pet it thinking it was a cat...

That was you right?...

Old 03-06-2017, 06:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
We have a crawl space and a french drain. No water issues.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:09 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times
Also, crawl space with french drain. Always dry, no issues. It's actually tall enough that you can walk hunched over. You're not on your belly, crawling through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania