Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times

Advertisements

I agree with Dan and MrKrabs. It's a sad state of affairs when less people show up for a parade showcasing our national pride, then to a over-hyped, over-rated drunk-fest in downtown Scranton. You can be proud of your Irish heritage without going to see the same stuff every year and the same drunks under the guise of a parade. Stay home and be with your family, you'll be probably be safer than on the streets.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Thanks for staying home. More parking spots and standing room for the rest of us.

Not me bud, I'll be at the church all day cooking and getting ready for the ham & cabbage dinner.

Go Irish! or should I say GO CHEESY AMERICAN IRISH!!
I'm sure you have a great green shirt with some stupid saying on it already picked out.

Have fun! Remember bars open at 9am this year so you'll have to goto Cockeyed Oscars for kegs and eggs.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm sure you have a great green shirt with some stupid saying on it already picked out.
Actually I'm hoping that I can snag any leftover Dunder-Mifflin St. Patty's Day shirts! They sold out very quickly last year.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Actually I'm hoping that I can snag any leftover Dunder-Mifflin St. Patty's Day shirts! They sold out very quickly last year.
Dan, I was thinking the same thing; but you can order them online at The Office Convention, Scranton, PA and pick them up at the Scranton Times from March 13 through the 15th.

That's what I did. Easy and I'll have it to wear to my first Scranton St. Patty's Day parade!

Cathy

Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM

SWB is Paul.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
my first Scranton St. Patty's Day parade!

Cathy
Liver be warned, apparently.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:40 PM

620 posts, read 2,055,740 times
Quote:
SWB is Paul.
But it's easy to see how she got you two confused.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Go Irish! or should I say GO CHEESY AMERICAN IRISH!!
You really should edit your OP to say
Quote:
"Here we go. This thread is discuss the cons of the Scranton St. Patriocks Day parade."
because clearly you have no interest at all in hearing or saying anything other that that when it comes to the parade if it differs with your opinion of it.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 PM

What? You have your opinion and I have mine. Tell me though, what does the bars opening early and everyone getting drunk have to do with being irish and why does it have to be a part of the parade day?

Its the only parade that the city has problems with and lets face it the majority of your "100,000"( which I think is sooooo inaccurate) come for the booze and the booze alone. If they were here for the parade and a day with their families then why are the rest of the parades ghost towns compared to good ole st. pats. Honestly.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 PM

The bars really have no relation to do with the parade, although you kind of get one with the other. You can't seem to seperate the two, however. Many of the rest of us are grown up enough to do just that, though. To me and the however many tens of thousands of others, the parade is about fun. Believe it or not (and clearly you don't) there are many more people having fun without the alcohol then there are people having fun with it.

It's been said before. You don't like it. We get it. There's not a lot about the town that you do, so it really comes as no suprise. The crowds prove that many more people do enjoy it, and all of your event crapping is just pointless yammering. One would think you'd be used to being in the minority by now, and would have realized long ago that your endless complaining about everything is not doing a damn thing to change anything. But go ahead and keep whining about it. You're coming off more and more like a cranky one trick pony with every post.

As for the other parades, I have no idea why they're not the draw you think they should be. Maybe it's a weather thing? I know that I don't particularly look forward to standing on a sidewalk in the middle of November, to celebrate a season that just seems to get longer and longer and come earlier and earlier every year. I go if it's nice, but more often than not, though, it's just too damn cold for it. In March, the parade is usually one of the first nice weekend days that people can spend outside without fear of frostbite after a long cold winter.

Honestly, stay home. It seriously makes no difference to me and 100,000 others. Your bitter self simply isn't wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania