Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,299,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
CHS89 we'll agree to disagree, but I will answer your question as I have already.
The city and or the committee are responsible for the happenings because they have done nothing to stop it. They are the ones in control of the parade and the downtown right.
But how have they promoted the drinking as you've posted? The request for one single specific example has been danced around since I called you on it. We'll agree to disagree, there's nothing new there. But before you slink away like a coward, back this up like I've challenged you to. If you can't, or won't, then you've proven my point that you exaggerate or just flat out lie to support your argument. When your credibility is questioned, you're just going to walk away?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
CHS89 we'll agree to disagree, but I will answer your question as I have already.
The city and or the committee are responsible for the happenings because they have done nothing to stop it. They are the ones in control of the parade and the downtown right?

A bartender knowly allows someone to drive drunk on any random night and someone gets killed, the bartender can be held responsible for not stopping the driver.

Its the same thing here they do nothing to stop it, there for they are responsible for what happens.

Paul the funny thing is thru all of your cheerleading and pom pom flashing, you manage to criticize people that speak out, so what if they do. You love to sit there in moms house and say that those people that do actually live here in the city can't speak out? You've been a good boy lately with your pointy little critical finger on those that are out there living life and working their asses off to get by and make ends meet while you really have no idea. Its easy for you seating in Pittston at moms place to criticize those that pay taxes(wage included) and say they shouldn't complain. Do you honestly think that when you do move here that the city is going to be problem free?

What the hell are you going to do when your Judy Garland fantasy of the world and what it should look like doesn't work out the way you planned?

No matter how many movies that are fimed here or politicians stumping here(LIKE THEY HAVE FOREVER) Scranton is going to always be Scranton. Buildings and plans will come and go with the admins and the funding. The hard part is allowing it to happen without going bankrupt, but hey the office was here in 2007. How much $$$ do you think that it brought in? Enough to cover the $84,500,000 budget or $35,000,000 bond issue in 2007 alone? Do you think that while our nations mortage industry is taking a nose dive along with the city's population and its housing market that we are having happy times? Maybe a tree in your yard will make that tax increase less painful.

Regardless of what you might think, residents flowing into our area from NJ/NYC is not necessarily a good thing. If there are no jobs to support those that are not retired or commuting they will inevitably fall on the backs of the tax payers. Not everyone that moves here is on a pension and retired.

I'll continue to be critical of the folks who speak out at city council meetings until they have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to bring to the podium. I can count the number of people who are lucid and can compose themselves in a respectful manner at the meetings on one hand (yourself being included). What have Fay Franus, Les Spindler, Andy Sbaraglia, Nancy Krake, Bill Jackowitz, etc. done to HELP your city at the podium other than just either unleash personal attacks on city council members, negate the city's quality-of-life, complain, etc.? I've been to countless other municipal meetings where residents approach podiums to offer SOLUTIONS to the very same problems that the council regulars just gripe and kvetch about because it makes them feel better to blame someone else for their problems.

You conveniently always forget to mention that while you belittle and berate me for being a "mama's boy" you yourself admitted in the past that your parents paid for YOUR private high school education, YOUR college education, YOUR living expenses, etc. when you were in your late-teens to early-twenties, so aren't you just being a hypocrite for criticizing me for suckling on the same proverbial parental teat? I have every right to speak out against people whom I perceive to be threats against the city's overall quality-of-life as a future investor, and MOST (not all) of the city council regulars fit that bill for incessantly attacking the city's reputation as a great place to raise a family simply because they have their own pro-union/anti-Doherty agendas or are just bitter because they couldn't cut it in life socioeconomically and choose to instead blame their shortcomings on the city. A perfect case in point would be Ozzie Quinn and Andy Sbaraglia, both of whom continuously include school district taxes in their rants even though most lucid people realize that the school district and city council are two INDEPENDENT taxing bodies!

What's the difference between Scranton and Buffalo? Buffalo has four times the population of Scranton and twice the annual average snow fall, but otherwise they're becoming more and more ominously like twin cities. Do you really want Scranton to erode into a "Buffalo Junior?" Decades of self-deprecation and low self-esteem has eroded Buffalo's image to a nearly irreparable status, and if the "Scranton sucks" crowd continues to gain ground, I fear the possibility of a similar descent occurring. Go to most city sub-forums on City-Data and post "XYZ City Sucks!" and see the vehement responses you'll receive of folks defending their city tooth-and-nail. Post "Scranton Sucks" on here and you'll perhaps see a 75/25 split with the SYMPATHIZERS of the negative influence being in the majority! Why? Has everyone here lost all hope and civic pride, just like Buffalo's residents now have? If you don't believe me, then check out the Upstate NY forum now and see a thread about Utica, NY (two threads as a matter of fact) in which barely even one resident comes to the city's defense. A city that doesn't believe in itself is a HUGE turn-off for newcomers, as I've been saying since mid-2006.

What's even sadder is that Wilkes-Barre has three "cheerleaders" now on this forum, while I continue to be the lone one for Scranton, and Wilkes-Barre is MUCH worse off overall in terms of violent crime and overall neighborhood liveability/attractiveness from my personal experiences being in both cities on a very regular basis. If folks in the Diamond City can see hope for their OWN community, then why can't folks in the Electric City? Why does everything GOOD that happens in your town have to automatically revert back to blaming the mayor/council for something entirely unrelated in an effort to minimize its potential positive impact? What's next? Bashing the medical school? (Oh that's right, they've already bashed that left and right). Bashing the restoration of the 500-block of Lackawanna Avenue? (Yep. That's been bashed too). Bashing an urban forestry initiative aimed at stabilizing a neighborhood's property values? (Duh! Of course trees are bashed!) Bashing Holiday parades? (Yep. Those aren't sacred either). People are also automatically condemning former forum member Moderator cut: name removed for his ambitious plans to upgrade and overhaul Channel 61 WITHOUT even giving the poor guy a fleeting chance because everyone is suspicious of his complicity with "da mayor."

For God's sake, am I the ONLY one that thinks this city HAS hope? Naturally a decaying slum like Pittston will never be a nice place to live ever again, but I see things that Scranton has done RIGHT (believe it or not!) in terms of urban renewal that Pittston and countless other communities will never be able to emulate now because it's too late. If everyone is so miserable living in Scranton, then move to Clarks Summit and complain about the high property taxes or to Pittston Township and then complain about the traffic congestion (as I do). NO place is perfect!

Last edited by Yac; 04-04-2008 at 01:11 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 AM

28 posts, read 78,031 times
Scranton is far from perfect, but i love this city. The majority of Scranton residents would give you the shirt off their back. Scranton sticks together. Where else could you find a city that loads up 50 buses of fans to drive 3 hours to support one of its own (GMAC!). That is what I love about this city!

But what I cant stand is the miserable people that live here that all they do is hate on and bash this city and the fortunate ones that make it big.

I'll be the first one to tell you that the mayor hasn't lived up to the promises he made, and I will definately vote against him if someone capable runs (anyone other than janet). But bashing everything the guy and the rest of the city does is apalling. At least he is trying to do something. Get out if you dont like it here. I guarantee if you moved to any other city this size, you would come crawling back.

Anyone that agrees with the conduct of JP and his followers absolutely sickens me. I swear you people actually are happy when something bad happens to this city. You people are the biggest hypocrites i have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonND View Post
Scranton is far from perfect, but i love this city. The majority of Scranton residents would give you the shirt off their back. Scranton sticks together. Where else could you find a city that loads up 50 buses of fans to drive 3 hours to support one of its own (GMAC!). That is what I love about this city!

But what I cant stand is the miserable people that live here that all they do is hate on and bash this city and the fortunate ones that make it big.

I'll be the first one to tell you that the mayor hasn't lived up to the promises he made, and I will definately vote against him if someone capable runs (anyone other than janet). But bashing everything the guy and the rest of the city does is apalling. At least he is trying to do something. Get out if you dont like it here. I guarantee if you moved to any other city this size, you would come crawling back.

Anyone that agrees with the conduct of JP and his followers absolutely sickens me. I swear you people actually are happy when something bad happens to this city. You people are the biggest hypocrites i have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Rep points for you! I agree that the "Legion of Doom"/Pro-Pilchesky fan club is an enigma to me. On the one hand they claim to love the city, but on the other hand they cheer whenever anything BAD happens to Scranton so they can capitalize upon it to further their own personal political agendas. It's truly quite disturbing. I was admittedly one of the short-sighted fools that fell hook, line, and sinker for Doherty back in 2001 when I was merely 15 or so, but now I'm likewise a critic of MOST (not all mind you) of his policies (I DO like his South Side urban forestry initiative). His concentration on improving the downtown's image was a logical one---I can't name one city that has successfully revitalized itself WITHOUT improving its core first. However, he couldn't live within a budget. We need a CPA, financial advisor, etc. as mayor instead of a career politician.

One thing I've learned about Scranton's political machine is that it is ugly and just turns uglier and bloodier by the year. In 2006 if you were to mention the name "Piccolino," people would smile and regard them as being "heroes" for "fightin' da good fight against da mayor." After the November 2007 election those very same people turned 180-degrees on that family because their son decided he wanted to run for city council. If people are that fickle to go from worshipping to bastardizing a family over something so trivial, then are we honestly surprised that the intelligent, articulate, educated folks in this city want NOTHING to do with running for political office to make things better? I myself have a LOT of ideas to make Scranton a wonderful place to raise a family, but I've exposed my relatives to verbal backlash simply through this MESSAGE BOARD; I can only cringe to think of how much harassment they'd face if I were a public official, which is why I've rescinded my once ambitious goal to make a bid for city council. I suspect Dan is likewise refraining from running for council (a seat he'd likely win) because he doesn't want to put his own family into such an unsavory situation.

I knew Joe Pilchesky was a nut job when he defended his "Constitutional right" to hurl around an anti-black slur a few months after he banned me for calling him out on making an anti-gay comment against me (apparently his "beacon of free speech" only applies if you AGREE with his ideologies---sound familiar to the oft-criticized Times-Tribune at all?) Just because you CAN say something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. What was even sadder is that only one or two of his cronies questioned his usage of the word n**ger, indicating that Scranton is either more racist than I ever thought possible or he has brainwashed his followers so cleverly that they're willing to toss aside such a SERIOUS sleight of judgment on his behalf for the "greater good of da people."

If Janet Evans becomes Scranton's next mayor, I'm moving to Wilkes-Barre.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-09-2008 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 AM

28 posts, read 78,031 times
SWB,

Yeah, it looks like we're on the same page. I have to move away for a couple years due to my employment. But I definatley plan on moving back in a couple years. However, I'm dead serious when I say, that I will live in no city where Janet Evans is mayor.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonND View Post
SWB,

Yeah, it looks like we're on the same page. I have to move away for a couple years due to my employment. But I definatley plan on moving back in a couple years. However, I'm dead serious when I say, that I will live in no city where Janet Evans is mayor.
My question is: When Janet Evans becomes mayor, will the site be renamed "Evans Deceit?"

Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,059,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
But how have they promoted the drinking as you've posted? The request for one single specific example has been danced around since I called you on it.
We'll agree to disagree, there's nothing new there. But before you slink away like a coward, back this up like I've challenged you to. If you can't, or won't, then you've proven my point that you exaggerate or just flat out lie to support your argument. When your credibility is questioned, you're just going to walk away?
As far as walking away, I'm sorry that I did not get up first thing this morning to read your posts. I usually take my son out to breakfast on sunday's so sorry.

What specific example are you talking about? I never said that the city and the committee do the promoting I said that they are promoted alongside one another.

EVERY BAR IN THE CITY PROMOTES EARLY OPENINGS AND DRINK SPECIALS TO COINCIDE WITH THE PARADE. IF THERE WAS NO PARADE THEN THERE WOULD BE NO EARLY OPENINGS AND DRINK SPECIALS.

My wifes uncle is on the committee and he has flat out told me that regardless of what some of them want, the money talks.

You can think what you want but the fact is that this is the ONLY parade that has problems and they are a direct result of the city allowing this drunkfest to go.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You conveniently always forget to mention that while you belittle and berate me for being a "mama's boy" you yourself admitted in the past that your parents paid for YOUR private high school education, YOUR college education, YOUR living expenses, etc. when you were in your late-teens to early-twenties, so aren't you just being a hypocrite for criticizing me for suckling on the same proverbial parental teat?
The difference is when I was your age I knew my place. I knew that I had NO right to tell adults that are hard working and family supporting how they should live. I understood that I had no standing in that world. Your over inflated ego and sheltered view of the world have no place telling adults who are out there doing everything they can to get by what they should and should not do. When I was your age(16 years ago) I was out living my life and experiencing the world and enjoying it not hanging around some web form telling adults what to do. You need to learn your place in the world. Until you have at least moved out on your own and supported a family, you have no right what so ever to tell me or any other adult what they should and should not be doing. I have said it before when you look back at your little childish rants here in 10 years your going to want to punch yourself in the face. You love to lead people to believe that your some grown up but in reality your just a kid living at home and going to college that has no REAL WORLD experience to back up anything. Facts from the net do not make you anything more then a kid with a computer.

Quote:
People are also automatically condemning former forum member Moderator cut: name removed for his ambitious plans to upgrade and overhaul Channel 61 WITHOUT even giving the poor guy a fleeting chance because everyone is suspicious of his complicity with "da mayor."
Moderator cut: name removed is a political hack and he did whatever he needed to do to get his wife out of that mess in NP and get her into politics here in the city. You want to talk about CH 61, ok.

What do you think you know about his deal?

Do you know that the channel has managed to run on its own with a small donation from the city and county up to this point problem free?

Did you know thatModerator cut: name removedhas NO EQUIPMENT AT ALL to do what he wants?

Did you know that he is requesting over a $1,000,000 from his buddy "Da Mayor" to do it.

He came in with this plan to redo the channel and had no funding or equipment at all but eh got the contract? I wonder why? Could he have made a deal with the mayor to help control council?
He also interviewed Bill Courtright and several speakers(I declined) and used their interviews for his promo dvd that he submitted to the city without anyone's permission. Mr. Courtright is not happy nor are the others.

Moderator cut: name removed has nothing that he needs to do what he wants and he is looking for the taxpayers to foot the bill, so I'm sorry if he doesn't get my vote. He is playing politics and his wife will be on the scene in the next year once the dust settles in NP. He turned out to be a huge disappointment to me and I regret that I introduced him to anyone from Ch. 61 or the city.

Last edited by Yac; 04-04-2008 at 01:12 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,299,688 times
Quote:
What specific example are you talking about? I never said that the city and the committee do the promoting I said that they are promoted alongside one another.
But not by the same entities, that's my point. It's like when you see a Ford billboard next to a Mercy Hospital billboard. One really has nothing to do with the other. If you're going to be upset, then blame the bars for jumping on the parade coattails instead of trying to spin out of another one of your blatant misrepresentations. Stop putting the blame on the city or parade committee for what you percieve are shortcomings. They are two entirely different events. Blame the businesses for the promotions.

Are you ever going to show me where I said the no one drinks and that nothing happens, or do I have to keep calling you a liar?

Quote:
You can think what you want but the fact is that this is the ONLY parade that has problems and they are a direct result of the city allowing this drunkfest to go.
This is not a fact. This is your opinion. They are not the same thing.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM

You can certainly feel free to call me whatever you like. My sarcasm needs no defending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania