Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,977,883 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a house on north washington avenue in the green ridge section. Do you know if this area is in the flood plain or if they got flooding recently? Your help would be appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Smile High and Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I am interested in a house on north washington avenue in the green ridge section. Do you know if this area is in the flood plain or if they got flooding recently? Your help would be appreciated. thanks

North Washington Avenue was not in the part of "Lower Green Ridge" and "The Plot" neighborhoods that were inundated by the Flood of '06 when the Lackawanna River overran its banks. The areas hardest hit by the summer flood were closer to the railroad overpass on Green Ridge Street, not far from the Green Ridge Shopping Center. I can still recall images of employees being taken out of the pharmacy in that area (Rite-Aid or CVS) by boat.

On the bright side, a new massive flood-control project along the Lackawanna River should be complete by next year, protecting these same low-lying areas from future flooding concerns. Unfortunately, that will probably only magnify the flooding intensity downstream in Old Forge and Duryea, but the areas that flood in those towns are generally uninhabited, while the areas of Scranton that flooded were residential.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,977,883 times
thank you for the info. Do you know what kind of neighborhood this is?Sorry to be such a pain

Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,930,444 times
Quote:
thank you for the info. Do you know what kind of neighborhood this is?Sorry to be such a pain
North Washington Ave in Green Ridge is commonly referred to as "Mansion Row," especially near Marywood University. Probably the best architecture in the city is found in that area. Former Governor Robert P. Casey lived on N. Washington Ave in Green Ridge.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
North Washington Ave in Green Ridge is commonly referred to as "Mansion Row," especially near Marywood University. Probably the best architecture in the city is found in that area. Former Governor Robert P. Casey lived on N. Washington Ave in Green Ridge.
His son, current U.S. Senator-elect Robert P. Casey, Jr. lives along North Webster Avenue in the Hill Section with his wife, Terese, and their children. Say what you will about the Casey family, but they certainly have some good taste in historic architecture! Green Ridge and The Hill are my two favorite neighborhoods in the city (No offense to your native West Side, but I just have yet to find any historic-looking residential areas there).

Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Green Ridge, more specifically Mansion Row, is an "old money" type of neighborhood. It's not quite along the lines of a Greenwich, CT or even a Waverly, PA, but it's certainly among the more affluent parts of the city, with an accompanying low crime rate. Mayor Christopher Doherty and City Councilwoman Janet Evans (who are ironically both bitter political adversaries) reside along North Washington Avenue near Mansion Row as well, so you could potentially have both as neighbors to complain to when a random pothole opens up somewhere! LOL! Personally, I think Doherty has a slight edge over Evans in my book, as all Evans can do is bash Doherty without offering how she could have made better decisions if she were in his shoes, but this isn't the right forum for political banter.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-07-2006 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Annexation

Old 12-07-2006, 12:09 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,930,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Green Ridge and The Hill are my two favorite neighborhoods in the city (No offense to your native West Side, but I just have yet to find any historic-looking residential areas there).
Oh I agree...I like West Side, but its not the architectural capital of Scranton by any means....more just middle class small modest houses....and some areas that have gone downhill (around Luzerne and Washburn St). Although there are some pockets of nice big older homes in West Side....Oram and Schlager Streets near Cathedral Cemetery have some beautiful older homes, as well as the stretch of N. Main Ave from Pettibone St (near Turkey Hill and Moletsky's) north to Farr St. near the North Scranton Expressway overpass. unfortuantely some of the houses along Main Ave have been neglected, but you can tell that many of them could be beautiful with a little bit of work.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Oh I agree...I like West Side, but its not the architectural capital of Scranton by any means....more just middle class small modest houses....and some areas that have gone downhill (around Luzerne and Washburn St). Although there are some pockets of nice big older homes in West Side....Oram and Schlager Streets near Cathedral Cemetery have some beautiful older homes, as well as the stretch of N. Main Ave from Pettibone St (near Turkey Hill and Moletsky's) north to Farr St. near the North Scranton Expressway overpass. unfortuantely some of the houses along Main Ave have been neglected, but you can tell that many of them could be beautiful with a little bit of work.
Exactly. I'm an Idealist by nature, and I always try to think of things along the lines of "what can be" instead of "what currently is." This is why I'm so enthusiastic about the city; most city residents look at the potholes, the wage tax, the "Doherty Debt", and the empty Southern Union facility in Center City as making the city a "slum." On the other hand, you have people such as myself who look past those to see the good in the city---the historic architecture, the walkable neighborhoods, the new downtown boutiques and restaurants, the low crime rate for a city of its size, the affordable housing prices, the "everybody knows your name" sort of atmosphere, etc. One problem facing Scranton is that it's a city full of pessimists; whenever I or anybody else posts something positive about the Electric City on a forum such as WNEP's TalkBack online, we're greeted by several others who have the "woe is me" mentality. This city has to stop victimizing itself. Yes, the coal mines are submerged, the dress factories are long gone, and the iron furnaces are now "relics", but the area has also attracted CIGNA Healthcare, Bank of America, MetLife, Cinram, Prudential Financial, Tobyhanna Army Depot, VaxServe, Diversified, Solid Cactus, Pepperjam, and Sanofi-Pasteur in the past generation, providing a more stable economy than what was present from 1960-1990. I've been in contact with the President of Mericle, a large local property development group, and their latest project, "CenterPoint", a brand new commerce park right here in Pittston Township (notice the downed trees along I-81 near the Pittston exit the next time you drive by), is currently courting Wall Street West projects, including one prospective tenant who he declined to name. What does this mean? Scranton also has the potential to curb the "Brain Drain" in the upcoming years---A commute from Scranton to Pittston to work at Pricewaterhouse and net a $50,000 salary would not be too shabby at all!

By the way, I agree that North Main Avenue has some wonderful architecture, as well as Oram Street (I've never been along Schlager Street though). I'm also impressed with the independent, "small-town" feeling that you get when you drive through the main drag of West Scranton along North Main Avenue where new businesses have moved back into those old buildings in recent years (I'm still waiting to see what's going to be built at the intersection of North Main & Lackawanna where those buildings were just torn down).

Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 17,480 times
Question CenterPoint?

Hey Paul. I'm another Pittston kid myself, Hughestown to be exact.

Like you too, I'm a full-fledged idealist and optimist. Watching all of the tremendous development throughout NEPA over the past five or so years, I've found myself quite giddy about the area for a change. We've still got a long way to go, but you can already see the progress being made.

As for this CenterPoint project, what exactly is it? Working and schooling primarily in Wilkes-Barre, I pass by the clearing between I-81 and 476 on a regular basis, finding myself all the more curious each time. Also, does that have anything to do with the clearing just west of I-81 as it passes by Pittston Twp, or is that still being held open for the potential Super Wal-Mart complex?

If this CenterPoint project has something to do with the Wall Street West program as you suggest, then I am thoroughly impressed because I was under the impression that very little of the Wall Street program would reach as far as Pittston. I was led to believe that it would primarily be situated in the immediate Poconos, and maybe a few renegades who want to extend further might end up in one of the existing industrial parks around Wilkes-Barre or Scranton. If it is true about them laying foundation in PT, all I have to say is "Sweet!"

By the way, did you graduate from Pittston Area, and if so, what year?

Also, please keep us all informed to the best of your ability of new developments and projects in "the Valley" if you'd be so kind. I try to keep up, and even when I think that I've got the whole story, you seem to have something more. Much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 17,480 times
Not that this is directly answering your question, but I just want to toss my hat into the ring of those who believe that Scranton is a great little city, and that Northeastern PA (NEPA as we like to call it) is a nice quiet place to live. I spend most of my days somewhere in between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton and have never once felt unsafe, endangered, uncomfortable, or out of place. The people of Scranton and NEPA are simple (myself included) and welcoming. If you move to Scranton and are content with the little things in life, you certainly will not regret your decision. There are no real "big" attractions within the S/W-B area, but that's what vacations are for, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania