Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

I have searched for recent threads on the vacation communities with little luck. We are looking for a weekend home in the Pocono Lake vicinity (we don't want the extra drive time to Lake Wallenpaupack). The realtor we met won't comment on the communities, so I need to know which of these we should avoid. It can be due to crime, poor upkeep, or whatever you feel is a problem. We need to feel secure leaving the place empty most of the time. Amenities are nice, but we want a peaceful place to relax. We're leaning towards Arrowhead, so it doesn't have to be overly upscale, we just want a place that is decent. I'd appreciate any positive or negative feedback on the communities below. I'm especially interested if someone tells me to run away from one! Thanks for your help!

Arrowhead
Big Bass
Brier Crest Woods
Hickory Hills
Holiday
Locust Lake
Penn Estates
Pocono County Place
Pocono Farms
Pocono Mountain Lakes
Pocono Ranchland
Stillwater Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
The only community that I recommend is Hemlock Farms, which is gated and secure.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,839 times
Thanks!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 PM

12 posts, read 32,158 times
Run fast away from Saw Creek estates! No longer quiet and peaceful. Killed over 400 deer just because some people wanted to plant non native foliage. And now the short term rental problem has reached epidemic proportions. I totally agree with reviewer Well5. Hemlock Farms is the best. They don't allow short term rentals (under 30 days).

Old 09-10-2017, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 19,127 times
Avoid Saw Creek estates!! This community has gone down hill fast. The Current board and Management is horrible. I have lived here for 9 years and this is the kind of place I wish I could move OUT of. Party homes, Drugs and it looks like a disaster. No one here cares for their property, homes unpainted, lawns not cut, empty houses that look like something out of a haunting, and so much worse. I would avoid Saw Creek with all you have

Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 AM

47 posts, read 100,201 times
How is Penn Estates???

Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoldan70 View Post
How is Penn Estates???
It is a very large development and we have heard of some crime in that development. But when you look at the number of residents; some crime would be expected: https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html.

That said; you would not want to buy directly adjacent or across the street from problems. Do your homework. There are obviously areas where the residents have no problems and other areas you would be better off avoiding. Many of us suggest leasing first so that you don't make a mistake that could cost serious money with a bad purchase. Most of us hope that you would not be buying to commute to the City; it's a long trip and many things can go wrong (plus additional expense).

Good luck!

PS Here is City-Data's information on the development (there are major differences with the link I gave you): //www.city-data.com/city/Penn-E...nsylvania.html

Last edited by fisheye; 01-22-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Do you really want to buy into a community with fees and an HOA board telling you what you can do and what you can't do with your own property???? Especially up here in NEPA where they're so corrupt!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania