Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 PM

23 posts, read 31,526 times

Advertisements

OK, level with me: Is it really the gigantic pain in the butt everyone keeps telling me it is?

Last two years, I flew out of Newark. I'm not a great passenger but my husband is willing to drive me to either airport. For an upcoming trip, I may need to fly into or out of JFK. The thought worries me (being a nervous backseat driver).

Last time I was there was 1984 and I flew there from Avoca. Now everyone tells me never, never take a flight to Avoca and expect to make a connecting flight. Because so many flights out of Avoca get cancelled every day.

Can anyone give me a straight answer on any of this stuff? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Newark is the easiest major airport to drive to from NEPA. Driving to JFK is a pain in the posterior (and the pocketbook). So try try to get a flight out of Newark.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I haven't been there in decades, but I'd probably have a nervous breakdown now.

Can you get a flight there from Philly? Driving to that airport isn't bad. Is there a shuttle from Manhattan? I've taken Martz to NYC quite a few times. That was pretty stress free.

If your only option is being driven there by your brave husband, ask your doctor for some sort of anti-anxiety medication, and sit in the back seat. Take a hat with a brim, sunglasses, and something to do.

I had to do that with my mom when she got older. We'd be driving down the turnpike and she'd scream when someone changed lanes. I almost lost control of the car a couple of times.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
In short, YES — it's really the gigantic pain in the butt that everyone keeps telling you it is!

The practicality of driving to Kennedy Airport depends on when you need to be there.

Other than during morning rush hour, the eastbound trip through New Jersey is usually okay. Waiting to cross the Hudson and the trip beyond is usually difficult.

At 2:00 in the morning, usually not a problem.
At many other times, driving through New York City is a preview of purgatory!

• Bridge/tunnel tolls = $32 round trip.
• Cross Bronx Expressway is frequently the Cross Bronx Park and Pray
• Highways are often jammed and (very) slow-moving
• Driving crosstown through midtown or downtown Manhattan? Are you kidding me?

If you have no options, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! But IMO, it's worth an extra $100 to fly out of Newark-Liberty or Philadelphia instead.

And depending on where you're flying to, try some of the smaller airports. You may get a pleasant surprise with ABE.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^I was going to mention Lehigh Valley. I've flown out of there.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
traffic can be horrible if you come in on the gw bridge . it took 2-1/2 hours last sunday evening to get from the gw to the whitestone bridge . no accidents ,no nothing . just delays at the whirestone and throogs neck bridges which just went cashless . it was the worst trip ever from jersey we have had in 5 years .

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
For me, Stewart (Newburgh) and even White Plains are usually much much easier drives than JFK and Laguardia.. Choice still depends on destination. Newark is usually the easiest "major".

You still haven't said where you want to goto. Many destinations can be reached from the smaller airports which are often easier to travel from too.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
JFK is plain out murder to get to, like every one else is saying try to find another connecting flight to either Newark or Philadelphia. I have used Avoca on several occasions to connect and never had a problem but I could have been lucky and it does cost quite a bit more. Best bet is find another flight at either Newark or Philadelphia and get a ride there.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:05 PM

Oh--sorry about that!

Flying to London. The only reason I'm considering JFK is that there is this odd shortage of planes going from Newark to Gatwick. I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
For me, Stewart (Newburgh) and even White Plains are usually much much easier drives than JFK and Laguardia.. Choice still depends on destination. Newark is usually the easiest "major".

You still haven't said where you want to goto. Many destinations can be reached from the smaller airports which are often easier to travel from too.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:20 PM

Sorry to say--the prices coming up for ABE are ridiculous (I'm using Matrix ITA). Like in the thousands?! Philadelphia is around $500 or $600 more than either JFK or EWR.

I'm guessing a lot of people don't fly out of ABE to Europe--that would explain the huge fares.

Looks like it's gonna be EWR. Which is not terrible--it just means an extra train and bus transfer once I'm in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
In short, YES — it's really the gigantic pain in the butt that everyone keeps telling you it is!

The practicality of driving to Kennedy Airport depends on when you need to be there.

Other than during morning rush hour, the eastbound trip through New Jersey is usually okay. Waiting to cross the Hudson and the trip beyond is usually difficult.

At 2:00 in the morning, usually not a problem.
At many other times, driving through New York City is a preview of purgatory!

• Bridge/tunnel tolls = $32 round trip.
• Cross Bronx Expressway is frequently the Cross Bronx Park and Pray
• Highways are often jammed and (very) slow-moving
• Driving crosstown through midtown or downtown Manhattan? Are you kidding me?

If you have no options, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! But IMO, it's worth an extra $100 to fly out of Newark-Liberty or Philadelphia instead.

And depending on where you're flying to, try some of the smaller airports. You may get a pleasant surprise with ABE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania