Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 PM

65 posts, read 159,062 times

Advertisements

hello. we are considering a move from nj to lewisburg in hopes to lower costs of living?

anyone have any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
You'll definitely lower you cost of living. Lewisburg is a beautiful community with excellent schools. There is shopping, restaurants, and great medical care. In our area, if you're sick and you call the doctor you can get in within hours. I know in some areas you have to wait at least a day or two before you can be seen.

There are cultural opportunities, too, with Bucknell University (and Susquehanna University in nearby Selinsgrove). This is a wonderful area and I'm sure you'd love it after living in NJ.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:03 PM

65 posts, read 159,062 times
wow I just saw this. thanks so much for your help.
after researching, lewisburg seemed great and still not too far from the family here in nj. we just need a change, financially, mentally everything. the bills have drained us. we have 3 kids so def. looking for the family friendly area and fresh start.

looking into the modular home building might be perfect for dh. i was also looking for RV builders.

oh regarding going to the dr's...if my kids are sick it is like a drill to get them in. it drives me nuts. i first have to get through whoever answers the phone and then at point if i dont say my kid has been sick for 3 days with a fever they wont see them. :-(. i feel like i am the mom and if i want to go just let me. ..

Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 PM

There's an RV manufacturer in Elysburg (about a half hour or less from Lewisburg) that builds Fleetwood Products (Pace Arrows, etc.). My husband fixes forklifts and goes in there about once a week (was just there today, in fact) and they seem to hire quite often. There used to be RV manufacturers in Middleburg but I'm thinking they closed.

Ritz-Craft is the big modular housing manufacturer in our area, in Mifflinburg (an easy jaunt from Lewisburg), and there's a new one going into the industrial park in Selinsgrove.

Regarding the doctor, yesterday my husband needed to see the doctor about some sores on his leg. I called the office when they opened at 8:00 a.m., said it wasn't urgent or anything, and he got an appointment at 9:40 a.m. He saw the doctor and was home by 10:45 a.m. From our home near Selinsgrove to our doctor in Lewisburg it's about 20 minutes one way. I've never had to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes past my appointment time, and that's very rare indeed.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM

223 posts, read 795,870 times
I moved from Jersey to NEPA and Lewisburg was one of the towns I seriously looked at before deciding on Montrose. Lewisburg has a good location---their Main Street has coffee shops, movie theatre, and plenty of small town charm. The price of homes dropped from the time I was looking in 2005. You can get a really nice home for under $125,000. Lewisburg is a step up from Bloomsburg and Danville, even though there's a lot to like about them, too.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 14,641 times
The cost of living in Lewisburg is way lower - housing is way cheaper than New Jersey, you can save on fruits and veggies by going to the farmer's market on Wednesday, there's not much pressure for kids to dress fancy or flaunt money. At the same time, you get excellent public schools, good health care, plenty of cultural events, and all the outdoor activities you could want.

People get paid less here, too, though, so don't expect New Jersey wages unless you are a doctor.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,268 times
Default More Lewisburg info please for out of stater!

Also looking at Lewisburg for possible move. Been to Brookpark Farm, Country Cupboard, May's, and Nora's Quilts. Love the Lewisburg area-grew up in Northumberland Cty but wouldn't go back there.

If anyone has the time or knowledge about the specific areas to answer...what are the "it" neighborhoods to buy in right now (any price). Top new developments? Streets not to buy on due to college kids? or flooding? Are the bands and orchestra in the middle and high school good/great/need improvement? Why are 2 elementary schools listed (Kelly and Buffulo Crossroads)-one got a lower rating than the other. Do many families belong to the golf club and is membership expensive? Are enough AP classes in the high school offered-I read it was a good school (in other words is it considered a high achieving school for the area?) Is it a friendly place as far as the mom network and school PTA/HSA or are you an outcast if you move in new to town? As far as the kids, are they accepting/snobby/in-between? No offense intended to anyone!

If anyone can answer a bit or piece that would be much appreciated!!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:52 PM

I can help with some of your questions, jjt. The "in" neighborhoods right now seem to be just off of Stein Lane below the Bucknell Golf Course and the Brookpark Farm subdivision. Houses would probably range from $250,000 on up in these developments. Older, established neighborhoods with nice homes would include Linntown (behind the middle school and along Stein Lane) and between Stein Lane and Route 15 around the Bucknell Golf Course.

Lewisburg schools have a reputation for being a bit on the snobby side, with classes structured toward college prep. Personally I don't think the people from Lewisburg are any snobbier than anywhere else. My kids go to Selinsgrove schools and I think the two districts are very comparable.

To avoid flooding just don't get too close to the river and watch out for small streams, such as the one that runs through the center of town at Hufnagle Park. It's amazing what can happen to a small stream after a day or two of steady rain!

As far as college housing, I think you can usually tell where that is. You'll see evidence of the students during the school year and see "for rent" signs or empty homes during the summer.

Good luck if you do decide to make the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania