Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 02:58 PM

65 posts, read 159,149 times

Advertisements

hello. we are currently in nj and looking to get out. for a few reasons, including property taxes and cost of living and just looking for better opportunity family wise.

I want something low crime, good schools and low cost of living. doesnt everybody though??

i really would like to find a home for no more then $150k, which isnt even an option where we are. any pa towns out there have that. we are looking in either PA or NC. (i know drastic difference). Dh is a carpenter so it really needs to depend on his getting a job.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
yes i think in the hamlin/lake ariel region you can definitely find houses for that amount of money. and the handier the hubby the better

Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM

43 posts, read 112,416 times
Hey,

i believe the best places to live are rurel. I live in the rural parts of shickshinny pa. Hunington mills, I have lived in hunlock creek, and the rural part of ricketts glen right at the bottom of the mountain.. People are quiet don't really socialize, its so nice and beautiful, but its 30 min from any town. We have general stores... I am moving becuase i hav to , but i love where i live.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells View Post
hello. we are currently in nj and looking to get out. for a few reasons, including property taxes and cost of living and just looking for better opportunity family wise.

I want something low crime, good schools and low cost of living. doesnt everybody though??

i really would like to find a home for no more then $150k, which isnt even an option where we are. any pa towns out there have that. we are looking in either PA or NC. (i know drastic difference). Dh is a carpenter so it really needs to depend on his getting a job.

thanks.
In and around Scranton, $150,000 will buy you a very nice house. This entire area has low crime....what people consider crime in NE PA would be laughed at in NJ. I live in West Scranton and enjoy living here....never been a crime victim and couldn't be happier with the schools here. Also very convenient to everything....city conveniences within walking distance but a small-town feel. There are no bad schools in Lackawanna County except for maybe Carbondale.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Why not in the Northern Pocono's? There is a town that I like...town : Hawley Subdivision: Fawn lake Forest
Here is why we like it:
1) Great Schools
2) traffic is not bad
3) beautiful scenery
4) Very close to lake Wallenpaupack
5) Everything is within a short driving distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania