Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,718,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I go that way pretty frequently; I'll give it a try. What's wrong with the cheese steaks? Also; does he do grinders? I am always looking for a great grinder! I would hate to have to run to Waterbury for my next hoagie: https://nardellis.com/.
I've nothing against cheese steaks or heros (grinders), they're on the menu along with some wings and such. He's an Italian restaurant. Hurts my soul that people would order something that isn't, especially in light of how amazing his food is.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I've nothing against cheese steaks or heros (grinders), they're on the menu along with some wings and such. He's an Italian restaurant. Hurts my soul that people would order something that isn't, especially in light of how amazing his food is.
If you click on that link I gave; that is also an 'Italian' restaurant that is known for some of the best 'grinders'! Every once in a while, when I was driving, they would put me up in a motel close to Nardellis - they were a real treat!

Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 PM

151 posts, read 146,119 times
I think Scranton being such a depressed city really hurts the perception of the area. It is just in a constant rut almost like nothing has changed in 20 years. In fact, outside the U of S development the city hasn't built anything at all. Maybe the Hilton but that doesnt do anything for the city. I just dont see any future for the city.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 9,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
I think Scranton being such a depressed city really hurts the perception of the area. It is just in a constant rut almost like nothing has changed in 20 years. In fact, outside the U of S development the city hasn't built anything at all.
You are on the nose. I was talking to someone on Reddit's nepa forum who is living in California for a couple of years but comes back to Scranton to visit his parents occassionally. He said when he gets to Scranton he feels as if he's gone 20 years back in time. This area is not very modern, but I get the feeling most people don't want things to change.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 PM

151 posts, read 146,119 times
Sir,

It's jurassic they dont welcome change and it is just a real defeated mentality. The downtown is hurting nowhere to really go not much to do.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:06 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,755,886 times
Quote:
Four Seasons is about two or two and a half miles away from us. I have never been in there! There is one ice cream place that was closer: 'Eats and Sweets'; but they are now closed. I believe the place you are referring to is Gables in Tannersville: Gabel's Ice Cream. They are also closed; but only for the season. The place that closed permanently always advertised their cheese stakes and I always said I wanted to try one. Of course I was saying that for the last 30 or 40 years until they closed. I guess I really did not want to try too hard!

There was one ice cream place over by Penn Hills on Route 191 that was famous for their ice cream. But they have new owners and I don't think it is the same.
Yes Gabels was the place. My son got his first dog bite there. But it is a cool place

Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 PM

1,929 posts, read 3,115,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Yes Gabels was the place. My son got his first dog bite there. But it is a cool place
Gabels is long gone....owner died a long time ago....

Old 02-22-2018, 08:58 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Gabels is long gone....owner died a long time ago....

I have not stopped there in a long time; but I thought it was still open (new owner maybe)? Eats and Sweets closed about two years ago; you don't have that one mixed up with Gabels?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:56 AM

1,929 posts, read 3,115,421 times
Quote:
I have not stopped there in a long time; but I thought it was still open (new owner maybe)? Eats and Sweets closed about two years ago; you don't have that one mixed up with Gabels?
You are correct but Gabels does have a new owner just not the same Gabels as before....Eats & Sweets I didn't know about but not surprised....tucked away in a corner like they were it was easy to pass on by....it's main attraction was the skeleton helicopter they had there that kids would obviously see and cause their parents to stop.....

Old 02-23-2018, 09:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times
Here is a list of restaurants in and around WB:

Le Manhattan Bistro
Katana
Circles
Cork
Bart and Urby's
Benny's Brewing
Breaker Brewing
Frog Pond
Margarita Azul
La Tolteca
Canteen 900
Bistro on the Ave.
Goldsteins
Tipsy Turtle
Pizza Loven
Sabatini's (there is also Sabatini's Bottle Shop right next door if you are into craft beers...they have hundreds of them!)

Further away, we like Ale Mary's in Scranton, Tomato Bar in Pittston and Lookout House in Conyngham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania