Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM

8,072 posts, read 7,436,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Almost all places take credit card now. There are a few that you mentioned, Manning's Ragnacci's that need to get into the 21st century. Their product is so good that they don't really have to, but eventually they will have to. Millennials don't like using cash.
We went to a fancy restaurant in lower Manhattan last Saturday. When I got the check it said they "only accept credit cards" which was fine because the bill was more than I'd planned on. But it struck me as odd that they (apparently; I didn't ask) would refuse cash. I've been to places that don't take credit cards, but this is the first one that would only take credit cards.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:57 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
But it struck me as odd that they (apparently; I didn't ask) would refuse cash. I've been to places that don't take credit cards, but this is the first one that would only take credit cards.
I'd be wary of a place that only accepts credit cards as a form of payment...I'm guessing you checked that they didn't charge anything extra on your bill and hopefully they didn't write your CC numbers down for themselves....

Old 01-05-2018, 06:44 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
There are a few restaurants on Oahu, Honolulu specifically, that do not accept cash or check, CCs only.

I am assuming that the merchant's CC fee is more than likely absorbed unofficially into your bill without notice or fanfare..

As the old saying goes, 'there is no such thing as a free lunch.'

Last edited by mr.magoo; 01-05-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Most folks I know still carry 'nough cash to pay for an ice cream cone....even a few gallons a milk. Fresh from the farm n all at Mannings.

Most folks in NEPA kinda like the pizza from at least a coupl'a of the coupl'a or t'ree hunnert pizza places in the valley.

The gas tax thing is new n kinda stinks a bit but it doesn't make a big difference over other states for most folk 'roun' here. Other housin' costs and taxes offset that by a mile compared to nearby places. That's why more n more folks are movin' here. Most stay...

Most folks 'roun here seem ta have found a few good restaurants tuh enjoy. They eat pretty good it looks like...'specially Italian. Most seemta take plastic cards n all butt a few don't. Sometimes they are in financial truble n sometimes they don't like the hassle or t raise their prices n all. Heck sumbuddy 'll take 'em t court soon I betcha.

Wetha' is here kinda poopy in Jan'ary and Feb'ary... but many folks here like winter sports, local sports, or TV. Th'ar much better here than in the Carolinas. 'n' people with money just leave fer a while anaway.

Most local folks think the shoppin's pretty good enough...or use the web. Lots'a nice gun shops n all.

Traffic's pretty good except for 80 an 81 when those folks from NY, NJ, CT, MA 'n' such places are passin' through... or all the trucks on their way too n from dere too. Still a heckalot better than those places I jus' mentioned.

Huntin' and fishin' are pretty good if'n ya like that sorta stuff. Heck my 11 acres has bear n deer n bobcats n lots a trees.

Yep, good payin' jobs are uncommon 'roun here. There are some. This is a problem. If ya got one n don't like it here betya others are jealous n hope ya leave real soon now.

My daddy once sed no place is perfect...well 'cept maybe South Carolina n all. Funny tho' my friends down there are still cuttin all the big trees down 'roun the beautiful big house they built there. Hurricane n all ya know. But it blew all the mosquitoes away for a few months. The pumps pretty well cleared out the basement n all. (Reminds me of my frien's in Kissimmee who got hit twice. They moved to Chrystal Lake coupla years ago...it just got hit but this hit wasn't as bad. House mostly stayed together n all. (But they don't like the armadillos and the heat, an' sed one more 'cane an' they're goin' t Montana...but the shoppin' not so good there they say)).

Friends in Maine love the two month summer at their 8 acres on the lake...but they don't like the 8 month winter or mud season so travel a lot the rest of the year. Sometimes to Jersey shore, sometimes to Boston, sometimes to FL...even to PA. Lots'a drivin'. Too much trough MA and CT they say. Terrible traffic n all. They can't figger out where they want to retire to. They like PA taxes butt not death tax. Anyway, the pizza in Maine and Florida stinks they say...wonder how it is in Carolina n all. (Betcha NEPA perogies n holupkies are better than in them places...butt then I don' know good food I guess.)

Uh...nephew in LA is kinda watchin' the fires these days. He keeps his bags packed in case...funny he like NEPA pizza. His sista lives in a nice little studio in Manhattan...only cost 'bout 500k. Good thing she has a big job n all. Lots of nice restaurants but they are pretty pricey to eat at every day. She comes home to LI/NY most weekends. Their parents plan to retire to here from LI/NY soon...taxes, traffic n all.

My cuzzins in Nj and IN ... well I am gettin' tarred a typin'..maybe will continue 'nother day.

Lots'a folks think NEPA is OK...not perfect. We're stayin' fer now.

Last edited by jimazee; 01-05-2018 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
We went to a fancy restaurant in lower Manhattan last Saturday. When I got the check it said they "only accept credit cards" which was fine because the bill was more than I'd planned on. But it struck me as odd that they (apparently; I didn't ask) would refuse cash. I've been to places that don't take credit cards, but this is the first one that would only take credit cards.
Huh. I've never been to one of those. I, too, have been to places which don't accept cards.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 PM

8,072 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I'd be wary of a place that only accepts credit cards as a form of payment...I'm guessing you checked that they didn't charge anything extra on your bill and hopefully they didn't write your CC numbers down for themselves....
Well, it was too late to be "wary of the place" by the time I got the bill! It all added up; $177.xx for 4 people plus two shared desserts (no booze was consumed). The food was excellent, the service attentive, and the atmosphere relaxing. BTW if you ever hit the Whitney now that it's down in the Village, I can recommend Santina for Coastal Italian fare, but bring a credit card!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
I wouldn't live anywhere else after moving here, I love the mountains and any direction you drive out of the valley it is just beautiful. Jobs are not hard to come by if all you had elsewhere was an entry level job that you'll find that here for almost the same money. Yes, if you have advanced skills or training the jobs are more scarce but from the people I've known along the way most are just looking for anything. The ones that aren't happy aren't being careful with their housing choices, I wouldn't want to live right in the heart of the valley either. It's a mess there, traffic is terrible and the roads aren't constructed thoughtfully. It's easy to get caught just trying to make it to 81, if they had planned better expressways in the Scranton area it wouldn't be so bad. The same goes for the Tannersville area, it gets way too congested around 611 and the 81 curve near Stroudsburg is always a mess. All in all though, if you find yourself a place just off the beaten path you can still work and shop in the valley on days off and enjoy life in the woods.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Quote:
I can recommend Santina for Coastal Italian fare, but bring a credit card!
You got me there with Santinas!! Love Italian food!! Especially if done right. Will have to check it out sometime once the wife and I are forever done with dialysis and she has the kidney transplant. After all she's been through she deserves a treat!!

Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere else after moving here, I love the mountains and any direction you drive out of the valley it is just beautiful. Jobs are not hard to come by if all you had elsewhere was an entry level job that you'll find that here for almost the same money. .
Roger That.

I was born there, So were my parents and Grandparents.
My Dad realized that he had a growing family, he took advantage of the GI Bill got his degree and decided ( Jobwise) 'that NJ was the place you wanna be,
so he loaded up the truck and we moved to Zoo Jersey'

apologies to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song

We moved out of NEPA but we kids returned every summer vacation from school, and Thanksgiving and Christmas to be 'back home'

We left in the mid -1950s and I have returned EVERY year like a Homing Pigeon since.
was ther this past Veteran's Day weekend to put Flags on my Dad and my Uncles graves.

Something magical happens when I drive through the Lehigh Valley Tunnel, my heart races a bit, I have to beep my horn in the tunnel like my Dad always did.
I feel myself getting younger with each passing mile as I head for Rt.115.

Besides it's obvious financial warts, it is a lovely and scenic place, There is something magical/ mystical about the Valley...no denying it.

I have been fortunate to have traveled widely, like the proverbial horsesh*t I've spread myself around quite a bit.

There is not any place that I don't/ didn't like that I've lived or visited, every place has it's good points..sometimes you have to look a bit harder to find them, but they are there...but NEPA will always be my real home.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Roger That.

I was born there, So were my parents and Grandparents.
My Dad realized that he had a growing family, he took advantage of the GI Bill got his degree and decided ( Jobwise) 'that NJ was the place you wanna be,
so he loaded up the truck and we moved to Zoo Jersey'

apologies to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song

We moved out of NEPA but we kids returned every summer vacation from school, and Thanksgiving and Christmas to be 'back home'

We left in the mid -1950s and I have returned EVERY year like a Homing Pigeon since.
was ther this past Veteran's Day weekend to put Flags on my Dad and my Uncles graves.

Something magical happens when I drive through the Lehigh Valley Tunnel, my heart races a bit, I have to beep my horn in the tunnel like my Dad always did.
I feel myself getting younger with each passing mile as I head for Rt.115.

Besides it's obvious financial warts, it is a lovely and scenic place, There is something magical/ mystical about the Valley...no denying it.

I have been fortunate to have traveled widely, like the proverbial horsesh*t I've spread myself around quite a bit.

There is not any place that I don't/ didn't like that I've lived or visited, every place has it's good points..sometimes you have to look a bit harder to find them, but they are there...but NEPA will always be my real home.
Agreed, I don't get tired of the beauty that NEPA holds. I love taking drives in all directions all year round, even now in the winter I enjoy my daily drive down in the Drums area. I just soak it in and enjoy it, when the weather is warm I roll down the windows and cruise in the breeze and smell the floral fauna. The people that are unhappy are living in old areas on tight streets and never going out of that setting to explore the mountains. That's the beauty of what this area is holding all the way down in Lehigh Valley, north of Wayne County. West of Marie Antoinette and east of Effort it's just gorgeous country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania