Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

For all of us Pittsburghers considering a move to the NE part of the state, can you tell us about the weather? We heard this winter was harsh from NE locals during our last trip to WB/Scranton. Are there towns that get less snowfall than others? Are cloud banks common during the year? The days have been sunny during our visits which is a huge check on the pro list. We want a region with more sun and less snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 AM

120 posts, read 152,180 times
Have been to Pittsburgh and it is nothing like that. We have allot more sunny days and much less clouds. The winter was not usual this year in allot of places it lasted longer then ever but beautiful since. I would recommend Scranton for least snow for sure

Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
NEPA is unpleasantly cold in the winter and gets much worse when in higher elevations. Snowfall amounts fluctuates from year to year and obviously more snow in the higher elevations. NEPA gets a lot of them snow squalls or clippers that come down from the Great Lakes. Those pop up blizzards that last 30 minutes can dump a couple inches of snow. The summers are pleasant, but will get a few really hot and humid days. Higher elevations in the summer are more pleasant, but can get chilly at night.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
As often mentioned, "NEPA" is a large, varied area...especially elevations, roads, woodlands, lakes/rivers etc. Town matters! but you usually have to drive somewhere sometime.

On average, spring and autumn are generally the best...sometimes they will be shorter than average...but of course sometimes they are longer ...and to no one's surprise, winter and summer are usually affected. So, as in most other climates, average is average.

Generally January and February are the coldest (this is my opinion which is supported by stats which are easily available on the web), though lately it seems March has gotten colder/snowy, it's usually more bearable because (most) people know that spring is just over the corner . Winter and summer 'extremes' are mitigated for some through proximity to recreation and travel opportunities both in NEPA and beyond. Some people cope more simply through 'in place' recreational eating and drinking.

Elevation can make a 5-10 degree difference and affect the type of precipitation by town/road etc. Winter travel in the higher and more remote areas, as close as a few miles out of 'the valleys'.. can be tough a few times a year (or more or less, depending on the variables) . Vehicle and tire choice can sometime matter based on this and your travel needs. (This topic is the subject of endless debate in many pubs and threads on the Internet.)

NEPA is NOT known for the frequency of sunny days. This (seems to me) to be more true in winter. spring-fall seem to be better...well on average anyway. Looking at Pittsburgh, makes Scranton, hardly very sunny, look better . As a reference, Binghamton NY is not very far from NEPA, and as can be seen here, isn't noted for it's sunny days. I have seen Scranton-Wilkes Barre in similar charts/stats.

IMO, the frequent cold and cloudy winters helps us to appreciate the often nice spring-fall weather in NEPA. So good luck in your search for sun and fun. NEPA is OK but not among the leaders...on average anyway.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,080 times
Going to agree, elevation matters... Around here there are many peaks and valleys to drive through, what is rain five miles back on the road is now snow and ice. Add in the descent from the higher elevations to the lower and it can get quite treacherous. I make a daily trip from Wilkes Barre to Drums and in a bad storm it can be quite a journey. A couple times going up I wasn't sure if I would make it, I just gunned the engine and crossed my fingers and then skiied down just letting the car slide controlled down the street. It's not for the faint of heart traveling around here in the cold weather storms and you definately need to keep your driving skills in check.

But the payoff of the beautiful summer months here in the mountains makes it worth it. The autumn foliage is next to none around here as well, some of the same peaks I fear going down in the snow offer the best Fall Color views. Simply breathtaking at times and I wouldn't change my living area just to avoid the snow because the other seasons more than make up for it. The parks here in the summer and the agricultural fairs are just awesome.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:33 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I just moved from Pittsburgh to Scranton area. My hubby was living here for the past two years and this past winter was by far the worst.
Not as much rain as I got living in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania