Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times

Advertisements

There is a chance I may end up in Hawley and I was wondering if there are any opinions about housing and over living needs like shopping out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'm going to assume that you're inquiring about a position with either the Torte Knox or the Settler's Inn, the town's two major culinary masterpieces, and if so then I wish you the best of luck with where your career may be taking you!

Have you checked out my //www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html ? Hawley is truly a Mayberry-like community, but for a city guy like yourself you may go stir-crazy, as the nearest "major city" is Honesdale! I enjoyed my visit there, but I'm not as intimately familiar with it as some of our other members. I know ontheroad, MermanMike, newjerseybt, and a few others live in the areas around Honesdale/Hawley and points north, and I know that ffwife18 lives just east of town in Shohola Township, Pike County. They could all probably offer you much better advice than I could. If you can stand harsher winters than what you're used to in Wilkes-Barre and a lengthy drive to shopping malls in Scranton/Dickson City, then it's a great place to call home!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks SWB, you area always a wealth of knowledge.

It is a corporate dining center so I can't think what would be out there that would be big enough to need its own chefs. If they want my assistance I could not drive 60 miles each way with gas over $3.00.

I have lived in cities now for 12 years but I did grow up in Wall Township when it was still mostly farmland. A short drive towards Jackson and I was nowhere fast. I don't know how I would like it, part of me would love it but the drive to just shop would probably bother me.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Thanks SWB, you area always a wealth of knowledge.

It is a corporate dining center so I can't think what would be out there that would be big enough to need its own chefs. If they want my assistance I could not drive 60 miles each way with gas over $3.00.

I have lived in cities now for 12 years but I did grow up in Wall Township when it was still mostly farmland. A short drive towards Jackson and I was nowhere fast. I don't know how I would like it, part of me would love it but the drive to just shop would probably bother me.
My guess would be that it's the Woodloch Pines Resort. That's supposed to be a very nice place.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
My guess would be that it's the Woodloch Pines Resort. That's supposed to be a very nice place.
Thanks bud, you are the Man

Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM

SWB, by the way. I try to give you rep on many occasions but I guess I need to spread it around LOL.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Chefkey this area is beautiful with lots of recent transplants, so I'd think you would feel very at home. Lot's of philly people and NJ/Ny people. There is a laid back lifestyle here, pretty scenery. In the Hawley area, the summers can get kind of crazy actually because of Lake Wallenpaupack excitement. It quiets down during the week, but weekends are busy.

In this area there are a LOT of camps and conference centers. Bryn Mawr is a big one and there are a ton more. Lots of companies do their employee development weekends and such in this area, and then you have all the spa/resort traffic which is growing.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about the area. The lifestyle here is wonderful--you can check out all the MLS houses in Pike/Wayne at pare.org.
Peace
M

Last edited by MermanMike; 04-01-2008 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
Chefkey -
Like Paul said, Hawley seems like a very "Mayberry" like town....similar to Shohola only Shohola doesn't have anywhere near the commercial business that Hawley does. We're probably a few steps behind in that sense.
Driving to go shopping..depending on what kind of shopping...Honesdale is just up the road and has Mickey D's, Arby's (I think), Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts. For foor there is Weis & a Walmart Supercenter. There is a Home Depot, Kmart, a small movie theater. A bunch more restaurants. I'm sure there is A LOT more but those are the pluses that I can think of off the top of my head. Haven't headed out that way since the beginning of the year. OH and the Walmart Supercenter also sells gas. Not sure if they're cheaper (what's that nowadays??) or right along line with anyone else in price.

I'm sure the people who live a lot closer than I do will add their info as well. I also grew up in NJ and if you grew up in Wall, I'm sure you can handle Hawley. Good luck !!! :-)

Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Ahhh. If I could only find work in or around Hawley I would be a full time resident. I love it there. The scenery is beautiful, the town is quaint, & the area is very laid back. It may not be till retirement but I will be living there eventually!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks everybody for the great comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania