Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times

Advertisements

Two Monroe drivers lost control of cars before fiery crash that killed 3, police say - The Morning Call
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 05:19 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Sounds like too many have been watching 'Street Outlaws' recently: https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/street-outlaws/. I would presume, that if this turns out to have been a road race, the driver of the White Mustang will be charged with vehicular homicide.

My condolences to the driver and passenger of the Forester; they never had a chance.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sounds like too many have been watching 'Street Outlaws' recently: https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/street-outlaws/.

Didn't think about that...maybe I'll send them the link as well...I'm sure they'll deny any responsibility but I would bet my bottom dollar you're right....

Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Didn't think about that...maybe I'll send them the link as well...I'm sure they'll deny any responsibility but I would bet my bottom dollar you're right....
Hollywood impacting behavior? Never!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...e-9216146.html
Right?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Hollywood impacting behavior? Never!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...e-9216146.html
Right?

20 years ago, when I used to be dispatched into our Brooklyn terminal, I would have to wait for a race to be over before the late night crowd would open the roads. There were huge groups that would come to see the street races and that was long before 'Street Outlaws'. I just could not get over how they were having drag races on city streets!

PS Here is a WNEP article that gives the names and age of the victims: https://wnep.com/2018/09/16/three-ki...monroe-county/. It goes on to talk about the 'dangerous intersection' but it doesn't mention anything about any unsafe driving on the part of the Mustang drivers. It is very suspicious that both drivers of the Mustangs lost control; what are the odds of that happening? They also never gave the name of the driver of the white Mustang that survived.

Last edited by fisheye; 09-18-2018 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Street racing was pretty common since the flathead Ford was the hot car (early '50s) . Today's hot factory cars (and those modded some) are fearfully fast, 400+ HP is nothing unusual...and don't require any checks other than a driver's license. Even more 'normal' cars and SUVs are very fast. Two Mustangs out of control at speed? Sounds awfully coincidental...but no conclusions are intended based on just this of course. The police probably either know or have strong suspicions. Is there any more info since it happened?

It just has little to do with any particular movie etc. in IMO. Youtube is full of races of all types, video games are arguably another contributor, and then there always the hundreds of ways new tech cars and the cell phone culture add distracted driving. It is dangerous out there. If cars weren't so much safer in other ways the death stats would probably be way up.

It seems there are a few 'suspicious' accidents every week...just in NEPA. So sad for the innocent victims.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:06 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
I knew Ron Bogart when he was an assistant scout leader with Troop 86 in Stroudsburg. Local contractor and a great guy. Sponsored a YMCA youth soccer team back in the early 2000's and my son was on his team. His son Ron Jr. made Eagle around 2011-12.

It could have been any of us, sitting in a car at that traffic light. Terrible loss to the community.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Street racing was pretty common since the flathead Ford was the hot car (early '50s) . Today's hot factory cars (and those modded some) are fearfully fast, 400+ HP is nothing unusual...and don't require any checks other than a driver's license. Even more 'normal' cars and SUVs are very fast. Two Mustangs out of control at speed? Sounds awfully coincidental...but no conclusions are intended based on just this of course. The police probably either know or have strong suspicions. Is there any more info since it happened?

It just has little to do with any particular movie etc. in IMO. Youtube is full of races of all types, video games are arguably another contributor, and then there always the hundreds of ways new tech cars and the cell phone culture add distracted driving. It is dangerous out there. If cars weren't so much safer in other ways the death stats would probably be way up.

It seems there are a few 'suspicious' accidents every week...just in NEPA. So sad for the innocent victims.

Actually PA is not that bad: https://www.citylab.com/transportati...merica/410494/. It isn't only that; but the information I found on alcohol deaths, by county in PA, point to other areas of our State as more dangerous: https://www.wieandlaw.com/top-10-cou...ing-accidents/.

What I cannot understand is, why a government that wants us to obey speed laws, allows our manufacturers to produce vehicles with large motors? They want to fine the public for not obeying; but why are they permitting the sales of this equipment in the first place? To me there has never been an effort made to create vehicles that would never break a speed limit. Of course we would all die of boredom on our roads!

And, again, my condolences to the victims in this terrible tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania