Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It is the weather this year. We had this big beautiful tree in our back yard. Full of bright golden, red, and orange leaves. Then one day we had torrential rains. Next day 40 mpr winds. Next day all the leaves were down on the ground.
What kind of tree was it? I think some of them have been affected by some of the invasive pest and that is why they lost their leaves early. If that would be the case and you like the tree there are different things you might be able to do to save it. First though try to identify it so maybe I or somebody else can help.

You are on the top of the hill; right? If that is the case you might have just been cold enough to trigger the leaves to fall. You would be about 600' higher than where I am located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:03 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Husband and I planned a trip up there for me to run a race and also see fall foliage on Oct. 12-13. We decided not to go at the last minute to attend another event, and it looks like we didn't miss a good foliage season I suppose. I do love traveling up to NEPA to see the mountains and go hiking; it's a truly lovely place for nature lovers like us.

Our foliage down here in southeast DE has just started changing. We also have some leaves that have just turned brown and dropped off. It's been so rainy here anymore, no wonder.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:56 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What kind of tree was it? I think some of them have been affected by some of the invasive pest and that is why they lost their leaves early. If that would be the case and you like the tree there are different things you might be able to do to save it. First though try to identify it so maybe I or somebody else can help.

You are on the top of the hill; right? If that is the case you might have just been cold enough to trigger the leaves to fall. You would be about 600' higher than where I am located.
Yes, cold will affect foliage. Higher elevations equal colder temps. Our lows have been in the 30's for a while now. We actually had a dusting of SNOW the other day. I believe here in the Pocono Plateau we are only about 500 ft. lower than the top of Camelback. Hubs and I watch the temps go up and up as we drive to Stroudsburg; and our ears pop along the way. lol

Daughters live on LI and only a few of the trees have changed so far. It is still mostly green. Their temps are a good 10 degrees warmer than us in Tobyhanna.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, cold will affect foliage. Higher elevations equal colder temps. Our lows have been in the 30's for a while now. We actually had a dusting of SNOW the other day. I believe here in the Pocono Plateau we are only about 500 ft. lower than the top of Camelback. Hubs and I watch the temps go up and up as we drive to Stroudsburg; and our ears pop along the way. lol

Daughters live on LI and only a few of the trees have changed so far. It is still mostly green. Their temps are a good 10 degrees warmer than us in Tobyhanna.

You can actually 'see' your exact elevation with the free Google 'Earth' program: https://www.google.com/earth/download/gep/agree.html. The bottom of the screen tells you your exact elevation. You are probably at 1800 to 1900 feet above sea level. Only Gouldsboro, Big Pocono and a small area by Panther goes over 2,000 ft above sea level. I'm at 1,375 and Stroudsburg is around 400 to 600 feet above sea level.

I used to work where the FedEx terminal is located and I know that it snows many times up there and not down below. We had an oil man out of Stroudsburg for some time and he always told us that the top of the hills averaged 5 degrees colder. I know, that with the wind, it can feel 20 degrees colder!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:25 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Most GPS systems have elevation capability (both in car built-ins and the older portable Garmin type) . Look for it on the different map displays.

Also...there are cell phone apps that will also show elevation. "My Elevation" is one on Android ... from the G Play Store. Similar apps, if not the same are probably on Apple too. (...I don't talk Apple). Including other apps for standalone maps/directions etc like Waze and Google Maps that will probably also do this trick.

I just searched for and loaded the "My Elevation" while sitting in my house. (It took about 3 minutes to do all of this). I tested it and it stated I was at 1407' which sounds about right based on my other toys. (Note tyhat when I walked up to the 2nd floor it seemed a bit confused...maybe couldn't get good reception. I didn't bother to investigate, as I'm going for a walk before the sun is gone .

How did we ever live without this stuff

Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Most GPS systems have elevation capability (both in car built-ins and the older portable Garmin type) . Look for it on the different map displays.

Also...there are cell phone apps that will also show elevation. "My Elevation" is one on Android ... from the G Play Store. Similar apps, if not the same are probably on Apple too. (...I don't talk Apple). Including other apps for standalone maps/directions etc like Waze and Google Maps that will probably also do this trick.

I just searched for and loaded the "My Elevation" while sitting in my house. (It took about 3 minutes to do all of this). I tested it and it stated I was at 1407' which sounds about right based on my other toys. (Note tyhat when I walked up to the 2nd floor it seemed a bit confused...maybe couldn't get good reception. I didn't bother to investigate, as I'm going for a walk before the sun is gone .

How did we ever live without this stuff
I never had one; I always know where I'm going (unless I'm lost)!

When I was driving truck they did not have truck friendly GPS (or I did not know about it). Drivers were getting in trouble because their GPS told them to take a route that they were too heavy, too high to clear the bridges, or simply were restricted from running. I knew one man that was fined $12K for being overweight on a bridge in Allentown. His dispatcher sent him that way. But, no, we did not take a chance on the GPS. Maybe today they have better programing for the truckers?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:02 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I still think weather and last Summer's endless rain had an impact on Fall Foliage this year. What is that? SUN????? No effect on Foliage? Summer was too wet for good Fall Foliage. Trees never got a chance to fully dry out.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I still think weather and last Summer's endless rain had an impact on Fall Foliage this year. What is that? SUN????? No effect on Foliage? Summer was too wet for good Fall Foliage. Trees never got a chance to fully dry out.
I ran up to Shoprite today and there were not too many leaves left in the last mile. But below that level it looked as is they might salvage some Fall colors. Except for maybe around my house where there are not too many leaves left.

While many complain about our rainy or cloudy days; many on the West Coast were wishing for some of our weather while their homes were burning to the ground. I think that it is good to have a little too much wet instead of too little!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Rotten year for foilage, fisheye?? Take your complaints to Al Gore!!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:18 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i blame trump lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania