Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Poconos a location that really welcomes new residents
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,406 times

Advertisements

I just can’t adapt to the people here. They misinterpret everything and take any NYC slang as an insult.I noticed my child is having issues adjusting too. Accidentally (she wasn’t trying to be cool) and thought in her seven year old mind that singing to her new friends the Empire song, “Snitch *****” was going to be cool. She had the most awful experience. Her teacher isolated her the entire day even during recess. I was shocked and am surprised. White People just doesn’t curse at all? My seven year old Latino child was punished for saying *****. That’s a female dog. Why she was isolated I don’t know. I have not been able to click and am afraid to take another job since I had issues with the first and that didn’t work at all. Too much of my Latino self just clashed. Don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should just go back to my NYC job or try to adjust

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-02-2018 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: fixed some typos. Hope that's okay.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,615,226 times
I don't think kids cursing is a big deal, but don't expect your 7 year old to curse in school with no consequences. It has nothing to do with racw

Old 12-01-2018, 06:42 PM

3,749 posts, read 3,486,627 times
You can't move to someplace outside of NYC and think you can still act like you are in NYC and everything will be ok.

Either adapt to how your new place of residence is, or give up and move back to NYC if you cannot.

It has nothing to do with White, black, latino etc... It has to do with what is considered "Normal" where you are. Since you are doing abnormal things in a new area, yes you will stand out and feel singled out. Just how it is.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,899,694 times
The posters are on target.
What seems to be absolutely normal to you and your previous environment may not cut it elsewhere.
It is called assimilation. You either blend in or you don't. If you find yourself fighting,arguing and basically unhappy
it is your failure and not of all those neighbors into the area in which you moved. Don't ever lower yourself and use
the race card. It will only keep you and your child from growing. If the neighborhood offers a better place for you to
raise your child than it is worth making sacrifices. Assimilation is not giving in or lowering yourself. It is saying,
I like it here and I want to fit in with everybody else. What must I do? If you find that no matter what you do you are
just unhappy it is better to pack up and leave. You won't be missed. If you stay and blend in you will see down the road
how well your sacrifices paid off for a better life for you and your child and you will say " Glad I got out of the old neighborhood. "

Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 PM

5,307 posts, read 6,204,248 times
The Poconos encompasses a large area. Care to tell us exactly where you are living and what school your child attends?

Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,816,061 times
Moving to a new area is always an adjustment. We moved from Long Island to Pittsburgh and now are in the Poconos. I actually prefer it here so much better than Pittsburgh. We lived there for 6 years, lived on the island for 25 years. New York is a totally different kettle of fish compared to other areas and there is no point in trying to compare it.

Just keep your mind open, and accept that things are different in every place. Give the area time. It takes about 2 years to settle down in any one area and to feel comfortable.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:33 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,190,727 times
Most people in my area are from the city. It is very rare that I bump into any 'locals' from my area. The 'Poconos' is a very large area and some areas still have more 'locals' than others. But if the OP is in the Pocono Mt. School District I would find that claim hard to believe. We have one of the most diversified communities in the State and most come from the 'city'.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,904,624 times
I know many Hispanic people here and they all seem to have no problem, I think it is an individual experience you are having. If you really feel you need to be mostly only around your culture try Hazleton.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,151,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonaamaya View Post
My seven year old Latino child was punished for saying *****. That’s a female dog.
I'm guessing she said the word that begins with "B", ends with "H", and has an "ITC" in the middle....you say what's the problem with that since it's a female dog....my question to you is:

1) What's a 7 year old doing listening to that kind of talk anyway??

2) Why are you surprised?? Do you really think that kind of talk from a 7 year old would fly ANYWHERE??

A song like that no GOOD kid should be allowed to listen to. If you think that's not a problem then you really need to re-think your situation. That may sound "cool" to the kids in NYC but that's because of what kids are exposed to over there and allowed to watch and hear. Children who are properly taught and monitored are not. Parents have a lot to do with what comes out of their kids mouth and think that just because its acceptable in their upbringing it should be just as acceptable by others. But sorry to rain on your parade: it's not!! If you think that allowing your kids to view and listen to such talk is "nothing" then you seriously need to look in the mirror reconsider your own parental abilities. Maybe you do need to move back to NYC since that kind of behavior is tolerated over there. BTW, I'm an ex-Brooklynite who moved out of NY to escape that atmosphere!!

Old 12-02-2018, 05:29 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,151,330 times
Found this post by you in Pennsylvania forum:

"I moved to Monroe County from NYC. My husband and I moved he escaping from the high cost of living in NYC. Honestly I don’t see any differences in the prices. Food still cheaper in NYC and the restaurants too. Communiting to NYC is very good, but you must wake up early to not hit the 6:00am traffic. You will be in the city in no time. I moved to PA in June 29, 2018 and we are October 10, 2018 and am still looking for permanent work. I applied to become a substitute because is the only flexible job now. The work shedule in PA is crazy hrs like starting from 7:45am not a 8:00am or 9:00 am to 5:00pm. Hope this substitute job allows me to work at my child’s school Distric so it gives me the opportunity to drop her off and pick her up. We purchased a brand new home and my husband job slow down so I hope and trust in God to survive this stage because having a home is good, but when the job is steady it makes it easier."

So you didn't do your research before moving out here it obviously seems....be prepared to go into foreclosure when the winter heating bills start coming in.....easily can go to $400 to $600 dollars EASILY!!!!! I sure hope you both have a sufficient emergency fund ready when the time comes.....you're in for a real eye-opener!! In reference again to what your daughter said in school if she had said that at a BBQ, birthday party, or get-together at my house you all would've been told to leave immediately!! And for the record: I'm not white and I don't mean the color either!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania