Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Delaware is going to look bad down the road because a lot of retirees are moving there.
We used to have many retires that moved to Tennessee. But times have changed and they have had problems. I don't think as many move there now compared to 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 01:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It would be very difficult because some of the retires are taking their medical problems with them. So one would have to compare how many years they lived in FL compared to the states they originally came from.

That's not the way that would work. Let's say you have 10K retirees in area A and 1K in area B that are of average health. The life expectancy in both areas is going to be about the same. If 9000 of them move from area A to area B the life expectancy is still the same in both areas.

Generally speaking that larger population will have more accurate data because anomalies are less likely to affect your results.

If you have a population with a lot of elderly people mortality rates would be higher but this is different than life expectancy, I think you are confusing the two. Life expectancy is an average, mortality is measured as rate and they are distinctly different types of data.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-22-2018 at 01:45 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not the way that would work. Let's say you have 10K retirees in area A and 1K in area B that are of average health. The life expectancy in both areas is going to be about the same. If 9000 of them move from area A to area B the life expectancy is still the same in both areas.

Generally speaking that larger population will have more accurate data because anomalies are less likely to affect your results.

If you have a population with a lot of elderly people mortality rates would be higher but this is different than life expectancy, I think you are confusing the two. Life expectancy is an average, mortality is measured as rate and they are distinctly different types of data.
I am confused; but it does sound like a difficult subject. Thank you for clarifying!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:58 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
^^I wasn't commenting on life expectancy, either. Maybe trying to stay on topic would help.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
^^I wasn't commenting on life expectancy, either. Maybe trying to stay on topic would help.

The topic title is "Life expectancy..." and the comment I was responding to as far as I can tell was referencing "Life expectancy..." so if there is anyone off topic it is certainly not me.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:25 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
You did move to Florida? Did you look at the map that was included in the article that I started off the thread? Florida looks like it has generally more problems that we have. There is one county in Florida that has a very low life expectancy; a lot lower than the lowest PA life expectancy. In general our State looks, when looking at that map, that it is doing much better than Florida. Of course many retired moved to Florida which explains why PA looks better.

If you have been paying attention to the changes that have been made or the new medical facilities that are here or coming to Monroe County; I feel the future will be bright (especially when it comes to medical facilities).

That does not mean that I do not want us to study any potential 'cells' that could be contributed to any contamination or environmental factors. To do that we would need more information.

Since I used to drive truck to Florida three times a week; I felt that the South did not worry about environmental issues as much as the North. Perhaps 'worry' is a bad term? But those fires in Florida could wreck havoc on somebody with asthma. There were also some pesticide plants that I could smell for miles while traveling down I-95. That was not counting all the pesticides that are sprayed on the large Southern fields. While we do have some agriculture in NEPA; we do not have the large scale cultivated acreage of the South.
did live in Florida in an area that met my needs for excellent care and environment ALL states have areas that have decreased mortality because of multi issues.

As a native I expected things to be better when I returned.I was disheartened as the medical community I left years ago here was doing very well for its time and people here were living longer.A constant neglect of dealing with drug and alcohol and environmental abuse and apathy has deteriorated things

Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
did live in Florida in an area that met my needs for excellent care and environment ALL states have areas that have decreased mortality because of multi issues.

As a native I expected things to be better when I returned.I was disheartened as the medical community I left years ago here was doing very well for its time and people here were living longer.A constant neglect of dealing with drug and alcohol and environmental abuse and apathy has deteriorated things
If you loved it in Florida; why did you return? All I am saying about our area is that it is in the process of change. The problems we have will be addressed at some time in the future. They are supposed to be breaking ground on a new hospital shortly in Tannersville. The Blakeslee area has a proposed large medical complex. As far as drug and alcohol abuse: right along side of me there are three developers spending a lot of money rehabilitating the old Brookdale on the Lake resort into a treatment facility.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:33 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
The topic title is "Life expectancy..." and the comment I was responding to as far as I can tell was referencing "Life expectancy..." so if there is anyone off topic it is certainly not me.
I meant me.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:32 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
If you loved it in Florida; why did you return? All I am saying about our area is that it is in the process of change. The problems we have will be addressed at some time in the future. They are supposed to be breaking ground on a new hospital shortly in Tannersville. The Blakeslee area has a proposed large medical complex. As far as drug and alcohol abuse: right along side of me there are three developers spending a lot of money rehabilitating the old Brookdale on the Lake resort into a treatment facility.

typical nepa response does not matter to anyone but myself why I returned ---on topic I am addressing life expectancy in the area and my opinion-----

future plans are great but what about now???

Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,767,067 times
Quote:

You actually don’t want too large of a population as that can lead to overgeneralization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania