Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We were in tanglwood north right between 84 and Hawley being in to photography we used to shoot over to sky top a lot . It was our go to place to shoot when we were bored
Those are great shots you took Mathjak, I even used a few of yours as wallpaper . Wayne County is awesome, I love it up there. The thought has even crossed my mind to look for property up there after I pay off my current house. But either way, we like to drive around the entire NEPA area on days off in the summer and take quite a few of those trips up into Wayne County, we go to the fair there every summer and Wallenpaupack. There are also some great spots in Pike County just east of Wayne that we love to go to like Promised Land State Park and Shohola Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 12:31 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I used to shoot a lot at promised land state park in the fall .. we must have a few hundred pictures of promised land , honesdale and Hawley .

We stayed at sky top last year as guests just to try it after being there so many times . Meh.. we wouldn’t go back to stay

Old 01-01-2019, 01:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
I took some great shots of Promised Land a few Autumns back, I'd love to see your pictures sometime if you feel like posting them in the Picture Sticky.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:21 PM

I sent you a link via dm

Old 01-01-2019, 03:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I hear you there, I was figuring they still plan to drive and Honesdale is not that far from 84. They mentioned in their comments about wanting to be in a small town yet near things. With 84 close they could get to Dickson City or NYC by going west on 84 all the way to 81 for Dickson City or by taking 380 south to 80 east by also going west just a bit out of their way. You can take 191 Lake Ariel Highway and you'll hit Entrance 17 for 84 or they could also travel West on 6 until they get to that whole interchange near 81 but that takes longer. A good portion of it is scenic though so I guess it would be a matter of preference.
Milford has some very scenic areas and it is much closer to the City than Honesdale. I love that Honesdale/Hawley area to visit. I was simply trying to give the OP my best advice. I believe they stated they wanted to travel to the City two times a month. The farther away you get from your destination; the longer the trip. They are very picturesque roads to travel; but when they are ice and snow covered it also presents more challenges.

There are spots in Monroe that I would not want to live in; most of that is because of the traffic. My parents and one sister live just south of Tannersville and I do not like the area. But it is only because when there is an accident on I-80 that Route 611 is gridlocked. I am only five or six miles away and that can make a tremendous difference. Of course one bad neighbor can also make all the difference in the world as we have hear over and over again from Sheena!

Old 01-01-2019, 03:15 PM

I liked to shoot in Milford too . Lots of nice buildings but there are just to many overhead wires to deal with in the shots .. the Tom quick story is pretty interesting

I loved the waffles at the Hawley diner

Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 PM

231 posts, read 239,614 times
Milford looks sweet. Could be a great fit for us, and yes, being so close to the train in Port Jervis would make traveling to NYC a couple times a month by train rather simple. Would be a matter of finding the right house, of course, on the market at the right time!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post
Milford looks sweet. Could be a great fit for us, and yes, being so close to the train in Port Jervis would make traveling to NYC a couple times a month by train rather simple. Would be a matter of finding the right house, of course, on the market at the right time!
I found this link about trains and busses from Milford: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Milford-PA-USA/New-York. Perhaps somebody on CD has some experience with the 'system'? I am not aware of any trains directly from Milford; but there is a station (I believe in Port Jervis, NY about 7 miles away).

I have not been to Milford in years. When I used to drive truck I do know that the area can have flooding issues. Make sure that any house is not too close to the Delaware River. We have had several 500 year floods in the last 20 years. Most of Milford is high enough where that should not be a problem; I think Matamoras has more areas to worry about. It is just a warning in case some agent tries to sell you on riverfront property. You can use that Google 'Earth' program to determine any new perspective home's elevation compared to the River elevation - it tells a fairly accurate elevation on the bottom right corner.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 AM

You tube has some videos of the flooding in port Jervis and Matamoras

Old 01-02-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You tube has some videos of the flooding in port Jervis and Matamoras
I would drive through there when they had the rest area shut down. At the bend in the River by Port Jervis, the River elevation in the 10/9/16 picture 'Earth' took, was 414 feet above sea level. The State Rest Area is showing only 417 feet above sea level; so there is that potential for a problem. Then you can go to this website (https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...=mtmp1&wfo=bgm) and see how high is considered flood stage and what were the historic crest - like 26.6 feet on 2/12/81. Considering that the 1981 event damaged 950 structures; it would be wise to factor in flooding when buying. Flood insurance can be very expensive and should be calculated into the overall expense if buying in the low lands.

But, using the Google Earth program, I do see houses that are 50, 100, 200, feet and more above the river and would be in no danger providing the property has good runoff. To the west of Milford the elevation increases quick as you climb the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania