Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 52,191 times

Advertisements

dansdrive - could you give me some info on Conkilin? Regarding schools and safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Ah, but are they buying them for their love of this area, or for a profit?

Makes a difference, I think...at the first sign of trouble, they'll disappear. It's happened before, and the taxpayers are stuck with the bills (and the trouble). But yes, they're buying them up - they're bargains compared to prices elsewhere. It's like buying domain names - cheap enough to invest in dozens of them, on the off-chance that one will bring home the gold .

I know why I moved out here - my ex's- folks were born here. Plus, I wanted a place to raise my kids that was a bit safer than NY. So my personal life benefited from moving to the area, but my professional life went down the tubes - what I do, and have done, successfully in other parts of the country seems to have little appeal to the population here.
I really believe most people migrating here are doing it for the love of the area and a desire to find affordable housing. I know I am, we just love our perch at the top of the heights. So many nice neighbors and beautiful views. A workfriend said today "you might move" when I told him about a locust tree that I thought would obstruct my view in the coming years. I told him that we are happy and in 30 years when the tree is 60 feet tall we will probably still be here.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I really believe most people migrating here are doing it for the love of the area and a desire to find affordable housing.
I'm probably just an old stick-in-the-mud, but I still think it's primarily for the affordable housing

Quote:
A workfriend said today "you might move" when I told him about a locust tree that I thought would obstruct my view in the coming years. I told him that we are happy and in 30 years when the tree is 60 feet tall we will probably still be here.
That's very Taoist - congrats! Reminds me of the old story of the Useless Tree, and how it outlived all its useful brothers...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:08 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingmanager View Post
dansdrive - could you give me some info on Conkilin? Regarding schools and safety?
bowlingmanager, I have been removed from the area almost 5 years now so I'm afraid my info would be dated. Conklin is a small town. The public schools are called Susquehanna School District. Here is their website. my older children were involved in sports and we use to play their teams and the fans and kids were always behaved and courteous, can't say that about all school districts. Conklin had a race track and a sports parks. Not sure if they still do. Your close to Binghamton and they have a Double A baseball team. It was a safe place 5 years ago I would be surprised if it changed all that much but maybe a poster from the NY city-data can give you more up to date data. Good luck with you move.

Susquehanna Valley CSD

Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm probably just an old stick-in-the-mud, but I still think it's primarily for the affordable housing
Yes true but I don't think most people are looking to rent these properties but live in them.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:22 AM

42 posts, read 121,787 times
We bought our house for affordability and to live in. If you want to get Taoist -
the peace of mind aquired by losing the mortgage has been a wonderful thing!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
If you want to get Taoist -

Acquire, lose...all the same. (Said the former-owner-of-three-different-houses-but-now-a-lifelong-renter :>)

Chefkey- OK, I see what you're saying. Yes, the number of slumlords seems to be lessening, always a good thing. That reminds me - is the NIT still in existence?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
We bought our house for affordability and to live in. If you want to get Taoist -
Enjoy the riverfront project when it is completed. I enjoyed a beautiful natural catharsis myself yesterday as I strolled down to Quizno's from campus and then across the Market Street Bridge to dine on a bench at Kirby Park across the river, and the project seems to be pushing full steam ahead from what I saw as I gawked from the sidewalk of the bridge. It should be awesome once it's completed, and your property values should go KA-CHING!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I enjoyed a beautiful natural catharsis myself yesterday as I strolled down to Quizno's from campus and then across the Market Street Bridge to dine on a bench at Kirby Park across the river...
If you ever see a guy in the park dressed in black, beard and ponytail, doing strange slow-motion movements, give a wave.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:53 PM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
Sifu do you operate a dojo in WB? Yoga is my interest and I have sometimes wondered if there is the consciousness to support such a venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania