Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Paul, is that really that much of a priority to you to be able to walk to the downtown? If you found a great house in Scranton that had everything to your liking, but wasn't easily accessible to the downtown, you wouldn't buy it? I live in Hyde Park and still very much need my car to get around. Scranton isn't like bigger cities where you can rely on public transportation or walking to get you where you want to go. You still have to go out of the city to get things you need. I never walk downtown, if I have to go, I just drive there. It isn't a big deal to me to drive.
If I'm working downtown I'll have to pay a hefty monthly charge to park in a garage there as well (let's assume $50/month if rates are comparable to the commuter lots here in Wilkes-Barre's downtown). That's $600 per year I'd have to pay just to drive my car to work that I could very easily avoid paying if the city was more pedestrian-friendly. If I'm living just a mile or two from my Center City office, then why should I pay that extra $600 to park in some smelly garage when I could just WALK with the two legs that God gave me? To answer your question---yes, if I find a wonderful home in Scranton that was too far of a walk to get downtown, then I would turn it down. I've always been attracted to either the Hill Section or West Side anyways, both of which are a lengthy albeit DOABLE walk to downtown. I currently run 6-8 miles on most fair weather days anyways for exercise, so hoofing it for a mile or two isn't a big deal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
If I'm working downtown I'll have to pay a hefty monthly charge to park in a garage there as well (let's assume $50/month if rates are comparable to the commuter lots here in Wilkes-Barre's downtown). That's $600 per year I'd have to pay just to drive my car to work that I could very easily avoid paying if the city was more pedestrian-friendly. If I'm living just a mile or two from my Center City office, then why should I pay that extra $600 to park in some smelly garage when I could just WALK with the two legs that God gave me? To answer your question---yes, if I find a wonderful home in Scranton that was too far of a walk to get downtown, then I would turn it down. I've always been attracted to either the Hill Section or West Side anyways, both of which are a lengthy albeit DOABLE walk to downtown. I currently run 6-8 miles on most fair weather days anyways for exercise, so hoofing it for a mile or two isn't a big deal to me.
Fair enough. To take an outsider's point of view, if I were looking to invest in a home in Scranton, like yourself, I would want a good house in a good neighborhood. Proximity to the downtown really wouldn't mean a lot to me. Since it does rain quite a bit here, would you still walk to work in the rain? Would you give up your car completely upon moving to Scranton. Just wondering what makes you tick in this department.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Fair enough. To take an outsider's point of view, if I were looking to invest in a home in Scranton, like yourself, I would want a good house in a good neighborhood. Proximity to the downtown really wouldn't mean a lot to me. Since it does rain quite a bit here, would you still walk to work in the rain? Would you give up your car completely upon moving to Scranton. Just wondering what makes you tick in this department.
I most certainly would not give up my car completely. After all, I DO love my photo tours---they serve to relax me in absence of being able to afford to ever take a "real" vacation every year. I would also still like to be able to visit friends/family here in Greater Pittston and hit up the Wachovia Arena, Ricketts Glen, and other points of interest in Luzerne County from time to time as well. However, I will be purchasing a more fuel-efficient car in the future---perhaps a Yaris, Mazda 3, Corolla, or even a new Focus. Ideally I'd live in a part of the Hill with rear alleys leading to off-street parking, but I'm perfectly content with on-street parking as well.

As far as "good neighborhood" is concerned, I can't think of any "bad" neighborhoods in the Electric City. Even in Pinebrook, parts of South Side, and parts of the Hill, the illicit drug activities may be commonplace, but the druggies tend not to disturb the surrounding neighbors. I know for a fact that there is TREMENDOUS drug activity in West Side, yet you, MrKrabs, and a few others live there without any fear for your families, don't you? Why would they want to draw law enforcement attention to themselves by harassing, mugging, beating, robbing, etc. innocent bystanders? I by no means approve of breaking the law, but I tend to mind my own business assuming everyone else minds theirs as well. I'm FAR more afraid of what the homophobes in the city may do to me and my partner in order to "scare us away" in order to "protect their families" once we move in to raise our family than I am about some marijuana smoker having a pot party next-door. I think the Lower Hill is especially poised for a renaissance if and when more people take an interest in living near to downtown. South Side is also on the right path to recovery given the planned new library, tree lawns, blight removal, dog park, etc., even though others think there's no reason to care about improving South Scranton.

The weather doesn't bother me very much physically. Emotionally I think have seasonal affective disorder (S.A.D.) because when I can't run and look out my home office window to nothing but dreary skies (like today for example) I feel depressed, but I've worked outdoors in the rain, snow, sleet, hail, etc.---just like the postal carriers do---so I've developed a tolerance for being outdoors in inclement weather. Hell, when I worked for the Wilkes-Barre Lowe's store I was even outside helping one of our customers load a bath fixture into the back of his pick-up truck while we were under a tornado warning as shopping carts were being hurled through the parking lot like toys!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-13-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Good post Paul. I also have heard about the drug activity here in West Side. My friend, a long time resident, said he has friends in the police dept. and they are watching several houses closely, which is good to know. I don't do drugs, so that lifestyle doesn't affect me. It's true, I don't feel unsafe when I walk out of my house, so I guess the police are doing something right. I've had no major instances of note since I've lived here for 5 plus years. One year on Halloween, I had my rear window busted out, but i suspect it was because of mischief night. That's the only problem I've really had crimewise.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
LOL So you started the same thread ib 2008 as well.

All the same answers now just like 5 years ago...

Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM

31 posts, read 40,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
LOL So you started the same thread ib 2008 as well.

All the same answers now just like 5 years ago...
It's taking me 5 years to move out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania