Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 10,132 times

Advertisements

So I have accepted a job in Owego/Vestal area of NY. Have been searching for homes in Binghamton, Vestal, Owego areas and I must say I am underwhelmed. Their property taxes are high, the crime is high and the choices are limited...I feel I am looking for a purple unicorn because I would like a property without 15+ sex offenders or environmental issues within 1 mile radius. In looking at Sayre and/or Athens or surrounding areas there seem to be some nice homes in the $ range I am looking at. I am also worried that in NY I will be lucky to even make my money back on a home while the PA side seems to be a bit more stable. What am I missing or not seeing? Any help or guidance would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
You wrote that your new job was in Bingo but you never indicated what your housing budget is. The daily commute from Athens/Sayre will wear you out very quickly.

I PMd you the listing for a nice property in the Town(ship) of Union with an Endicott address. That house just went under contract.

Certain areas of the Village of Endicott are still a superfund site but it's very small. Nothing to worry about.

If you're worried about sex offenders in the neighborhood, install a security system with 24/7 monitoring and put up a chain link fence around the property.

It is impossible to immunize yourself against all eventualities. You take a risk when you get in your car, climb out of the bathtub or plug something into a wall socket.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 PM

27 posts, read 24,347 times
Vestal is

Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 PM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Conklin NY used to be a nice area. Lived there for 3 yrs but that was 20+ yrs ago.

I agree with Wells: the commute from Sayre to Binghamton will wear you out PDQ

Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Vestal, the Susquehanna Valley SD(which includes parts of the town of Binghamton, which is different from the city and Conklin, as well as Kirkwood), the Chenango Valley SD(includes places like Nimmonsburg, Port Dickinson, Hinmans Corner, Port Crane, Chenango Bridge, etc.), the more rural/exurban Chenango Forks SD, the Maine-Endwell SD and even the northern portions of the Union-Endicott and Johnson City SD's are nice and solidly to upper middle class. So, there are options in the immediate Binghamton area.

This doesn't include parts of Tioga County(NY), which is where Owego is located.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 PM

63 posts, read 31,526 times
Historically those areas have been close to the economic wealth of NY so they weren't as backwards/depressed as the areas in southwestern PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: