Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:21 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Honesdale doesn't seem like a good fit for a life coach. I agree with sad_ about that.

I'd consider the Philadelphia suburbs if I were you. There are a lot more people with a lot more money. There are also more markets where your husband might find employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 6,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Forgive my generalizations, but "life coach" sounds like a service wealthier individuals would utilize. I'm not sure if you know, but PA's economic situation is nothing like Florida's. Much of PA is economically depressed, and many people are actually leaving the state because of this. People in small, depressed PA towns across the state will probably be unlikely to utilize such a service. However, if you look slightly eastward, not too far away from Honesdale in northern NJ, you are close to NYC and some of its very wealthy suburbs. Those people I'm sure will utilize your services more. Maybe a place like [somewhere nice in NJ, apparently not Paterson, see below], will be a financially strategic choice.

If you care a lot about schools and having access to a client base, maybe consider Massachusetts. They lead the country in education.
Thank you for letting me know that! Thankfully most of my business is done online and I can reach people from all over the world. Also life coaching doesn't have to be only for the weathly I have a package that is $50 so it depends on the needs of each individual client. I would love to do in person meetings as well but once we find the right place to move I'll let that happen organically.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Forgive my generalizations, but "life coach" sounds like a service wealthier individuals would utilize. I'm not sure if you know, but PA's economic situation is nothing like Florida's. Much of PA is economically depressed, and many people are actually leaving the state because of this. People in small, depressed PA towns across the state will probably be unlikely to utilize such a service. However, if you look slightly eastward, not too far away from Honesdale in northern NJ, you are close to NYC and some of its very wealthy suburbs. Those people I'm sure will utilize your services more. Maybe a place like [somewhere nice in NJ, apparently not Paterson, see below], will be a financially strategic choice.

If you care a lot about schools and having access to a client base, maybe consider Massachusetts. They lead the country in education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Please tell me you're joking. Paterson is one of the worst cities in NJ.

I agree with you about life coach being geared to wealthier individuals. Honesdale is pretty poor. If you want to stick with PA, you might have more luck further south in the Poconos or Lehigh Valley. More population and money flowing around.
Poconos was also top of our list

Old 07-26-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Yes, pleaaase. We need more open minded people in Pennsylvania.
Love your spirit dear friend. You put a smile on my face xoxo

Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a link to City-Data's information on Honesdale: //www.city-data.com/city/Honesd...nsylvania.html.

Here is a link to City-Data's information on Mt. Pocono: //www.city-data.com/city/Mount-...nsylvania.html.

The reason that I gave you the two links is for you to compare the ethnic breakdown of the two areas. If you choose an area of our State with predominately one race; then the chances are that it would not be as "open minded" as an area that is more diverse. I am not trying to push you towards one area compared to another area. Honesdale is beautiful and I do enjoy traveling through the area. I also saw no crime statistics on Mt. Pocono in the Mt. Pocono link.

Most of us, that have been on this forum for some time, do advise people that are thinking about buying and moving here to rent first. You are thinking about moving from a very warm climate to a colder climate. You have adjusted to your current warm climate; you might not adjust to our colder climate and you also have to learn winter driving skills. On the other hand you might have already spent time here vacationing? We have had those that moved here sight unseen or for the wrong reasons and then hold it against us when they realize this area is not for them. I just don't want that to happen to you. Do your homework.
Thanks a million this is the exact reason I came here for answers. I knew no one would BS me and fill things with fluff. If I'm moving my family away from everything they have even known I want to know every detail! This is exactly what I'm looking for. We are a mixed family. My husband is Pervian and I'm white so that is also a concern though it shouldn't be. Thank you for this post!

Old 07-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Honesdale doesn't seem like a good fit for a life coach. I agree with sad_ about that.

I'd consider the Philadelphia suburbs if I were you. There are a lot more people with a lot more money. There are also more markets where your husband might find employment.
I appreciate that feed back. I do my coaching online so a wealthy area will be of no matter although I'd love to get clients in person it won't effect my income. However, I have packages to fit lower budgets so not all life coaching is expensive. My lowest package is only $50 but then I have other packages ranging into the thousands. So it really depends on the needs of the clients.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The reason that I would never want to move to Florida, Hawaii, southern California, etc., would be because there is no way in hell that I would want it to be 80 degrees, or higher, on Christmas day.
Would a Floridian like 30 degrees, or lower, for most of the Winter months when you're used to 80. Then, of course, there is the snow and ice.
While Florida may get the occasional hurricane, we get the occasional Nor-Easter.
Would a Floridian know what to do with 30 inches, or more, of snow?
For me being born and raised in FL it will be a huge adjustment for sure but my husband is from New Jersey and has been trying to move back up state for many year. We are finally ready to make that happen.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's quite a broad and inaccurate generalization.

Certainly Pennsylvania has its share of not-quite-so-thriving towns, but there's plenty of areas of the state (mostly on the Eastern side) with quite robust wealth. Like literally every other state in the Union, there's a stratification of wealth and "non-wealth" between rural and urban areas.

Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and south-central PA (Harrisburg, York and Lancaster) are all metro areas of at least notable size with high standards-of-living and great public schools (according to actual income and report data, not reputational hearsay).

The standard-of-living and amount of disposable income in PA is incredibly underrated by many folks, in fact. Certainly higher than in Florida. The OP will do just fine.

Good luck!
What great information. I'll look into the towns you posted. Thank you kindly

Old 07-26-2019, 12:08 PM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevineLove View Post
Thank you for letting me know that! Thankfully most of my business is done online and I can reach people from all over the world. Also life coaching doesn't have to be only for the weathly I have a package that is $50 so it depends on the needs of each individual client. I would love to do in person meetings as well but once we find the right place to move I'll let that happen organically.
Cool! I never knew it was so flexible. If you can work online, then heck, all of PA is viable. Good luck finding a place you love! I personally love State College, although a lot of people are moving in so it's undergoing heavy change. Beautiful area and great community [it is a college town, mind you]. I'm sure the Poconos are wonderful too!

I'm curious: as a life coach, do you engage your clients on a psychological level, or on more tangible matters such as finances or healthy diet/exercise? Or do you cover everything? Always was curious what the work of a life coach entailed.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:39 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevineLove View Post
Thanks a million this is the exact reason I came here for answers. I knew no one would BS me and fill things with fluff. If I'm moving my family away from everything they have even known I want to know every detail! This is exactly what I'm looking for. We are a mixed family. My husband is Pervian and I'm white so that is also a concern though it shouldn't be. Thank you for this post!
There is the possibility that you would never be discriminated against in Honesdale. I have never really stopped and talked to the people other than a tractor dealership. Sometimes communities with equal mixes of the races have more problems than others that are all White, Hispanic, Asian or Black. Lancaster comes to mind because of the high crime and murder rates: //www.city-data.com/city/Lancas...nsylvania.html.

I live in Swiftwater and love my area; but I am not in a development and I have five acres to garden and maintain; I have space between myself and my neighbors. I also do most of my shopping in Mt. Pocono and have never had any problems. Our son went through the Pocono Mountain School system; but it was many moons ago - so I cannot tell you what it is now. My one sister lives in Tannersville and I do not like to drive in her direction because of the traffic. She isn't that far away; maybe six or eight miles. However, when there is an accident on I-80 all the traffic jumps off on Route 611 and turns it into gridlock. So I am content to head north and away from problems.

We have one development that is known for crime; but it is a large development and the figures might to be out of line when the population is figured in? They recently had a young man murdered and other shot.

You did not say anything when I mentioned the cold weather. You do not have to worry about it in Florida; but elevation plays a large role here in our County. Stroudsburg is only 400 to 600 feet above sea level. My home is 1375 feet above sea level. Mt. Pocono is about 1800 feet above sea level and Gouldsboro is the highest around 2000 feet above sea level. The higher you go; the more frozen precipitation you could receive. Sometimes it is snowing in Tannersville and raining in Stroudsburg. Sometimes it is raining in Tannersville and snowing in Swiftwater and the same can be said for the even higher elevations. So it is something that should be kept in mind.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-28-2019 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania