Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 02:54 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,940,298 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a job conveniently near 81, 315, 115, 309... not far from the Wyoming Valley Mall in W-B. I have 2-wks to find a rental & move in, but am unsure in which direction to live.

Keep in mind that I'm a life-long, big city dweller, so whether walking, taking public transit or driving, I'm accustomed to a 3-4 hr commute each day. Something less would be great (an hour in each direction is optimal as a maximum & I'd be overjoyed at such a short commute), but more importantly, my days of shoveling out an on-street parking space & not being able to "reserve" the spot are over... I want a place with a parking space & will drive further away for that luxury.

My biggest concern is commuting time vs road safety during winter (I'll be working 2nd shift, unfortunately... so, leaving work at 1am)... I'm not afraid of snow/ice/blizzards cuz I grew up in nor'eastery Boston with cold, gnarly weather the majority of the year... but, roads in Boston are sanded before it snows & plowed continuously 'round the clock during & after every storm. It's still brutal, but better than many places. I'm unsure how soon roads are maintained here... meaning, do I stick to major interstates only during storms & forgo the smaller highways? That would affect where I'd look for a rental. I'm also accustomed to driving on major highways, not 1 lane highways in each direction... so have no idea how those smaller roads affect commute time, regardless of weather. Are some roads just so congested I should avoid them at all cost?

I've seen some cheap, nice rentals SE of W-B in Blakeslee & Lake Harmony, so the commute would be 115N or 80/476. Also found nice rentals in Harvey's Lake/Back Mtn/Dallas, SE of W-B, so the commute would be mostly 309.

My off-shift times are in my favor, as I won't be traveling during rush hours. If 81 is the best road for winter maintenance, I could head N to Avoca, Old Forge or S to Sugar Notch.

I've also seen some rentals in Tobyhanna & Mt Pocono, but that commute looks ridiculous, although only 40-min... having to drive to Scranton via 81/476, then S via 84/380. If I'm wrong, let me know... maybe it's not as cumbersome as I'm thinking.

Any ideas are welcome & if you have opinions on safe towns to live in, I'm listening. The reason I began looking further out of W-B is that I've seen apt rentals in the $1,200+ range that don't even have amenities like an in-unit w/d or off-street parking & there's nothing enticing about them (I'm used to living in luxury apt complexes slightly upwards of that range)... vs home rentals in all the above mentioned locales for $800-900 for 3-4 b/1-3 b. I'm looking for something different & peaceful after a lifetime in only big cities & since it's a rental, can always move after 1-yr.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-04-2019 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: fixed spacing for easier reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:38 PM

32,774 posts, read 36,000,398 times
Forget Mt, Pocono. Rt. 309 between W-B and Mountain Top isn't great in the winter. There are a couple of steep hills. Rt. 81 is usually OK, except when it isn't. It ices up when the wind kicks up.

Can you give us a general location where you will be working?

Old 09-01-2019, 02:38 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
OP, if you don't have it, get Google 'Earth'. On the bottom right of the screen it will tell you the elevation above sea level. The Wyoming Valley Mall in W-B is about 785 feet above sea level. However, if you travel south or southeast from there on Routes 309.2007, or 115 the elevation quickly increases to almost 2000 feet above sea level. The higher you go, the colder the temperatures and the greater chance for snow and ice. Also you have to maintain speed to go up hills and worry about stopping going down hills.

That said; you could have another problem if you move too close to the Susquehanna River just to your north from the Mall. The River has been known to flood so it might be wise to keep some distance and elevation away from the river. The Mall is a little over 250 higher than the River (which should keep it dry during most floods).

All wheel and four wheel drive vehicles are the best at getting one moving during our winter weather. However, some people become overconfident driving those vehicles. It is very important to keep in mind that, just because you can move, it does not mean that you can stop. Take your time with your winter drive, give yourself plenty of distance between your vehicle and the ones you are following, don't be a leader on slick roads. Give yourself extra time to get to work; don't leave your house at the last second and expect to be on time. Pay attention to your side mirrors and windshield wipers to see if ice is forming on them, if it is, slow down.

I do not live in that area. Hopefully many living there will get back to you with specifics on where to live.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2019, 10:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,095,017 times
Mind being a bit more specific as to the location of your new job? As a city dweller, I suspect that you'd soon find country living boring.

Check Hot Pads and Craig's list for available apartments in the 18704 zip code.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Can you give us a general location where you will be working?

I already did, first sentence... near Wyoming Valley Mall, so I can easily get to 81/309/115/315.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,879,203 times
My First thought is just stay right near there and get a place in Wilkeswood

Wilkeswood Apartments - Wilkeswood - Wilkes Barre - PA

You'll get your own spot and be close to your job, shopping etc.

I see you did mention not wanting to be in a place like this but I'm really not thinking there is something too easy in a winter commute out of the city.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
As a city dweller, I suspect that you'd soon find country living boring.

Yeah, sure, but, nope, already addressed that... besides, I'm not looking to buy, just rent. I can always move in 1-yr. And, I have no misgivings that W-B, to me, is a tiny town, not an exciting city... meaning, I find not much to do here as a whole. I was born here. Doesn't matter... it's different, for sure, but I welcome a change (already covered that above)... NYC will be a monthly trip for excitement.

Quote:
Check Hot Pads and Craig's list for available apartments in the 18704 zip code.

I know how to check sites for apts... have lived in 20+ over my lifetime. Most of the areas I mentioned are not in that zip. Was asking for personal, local info on which roads to avoid and/or which that would be best for winter travel. Maybe I don't need to worry about it, having lived in the worst weather (driving/walking on/with ice, snow, nor'easters, black ice, blizzards, constant rain) for most of my life.

It's my work departure time that makes me ask... 1am, which I mentioned. As a small girl, I want to be safe, driving home in the dark, several roads with no railings, not knowing how often they sand/salt/plow during/after winter storms... that's new for me.

And, I do have a small SUV, for someone who mentioned it above. I'm not unaccustomed to winter bad weather driving... usually in tiny cars. I'm fine with raw weather... but, how are the roads HERE during winter storms? Do they sand right away? Plow all over continuously on main highways only? Or, am I driving home at 1am on gnarly, unplowed roads, especially secondary highways, if there's a storm?

Thank you All for the replies!

Old 09-01-2019, 03:14 PM

Since you need to do this rather quickly you may be stuck in the short term getting a garden apartment. You could always look for home rentals once you are here. There are frequently small rentals at Harvey's Lake especially you try to find one now after summer season but even that drive on 309 will not be easy in the snow.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:20 PM

I drive to Drums from Wilkes Barre and no way is great. I can take 81 but the overpass around mile 160 is treacherous as well as the road to 309 of off exit 155 is sometimes impassable in bad weather. 309 south of Mountain Top has a huge hill which can also be a no go in the bad weather plus the mountain steep hill right of off Blackman street.

People have been stranded numerous times on 81 in many spots, it is never certain and recently the mountain top hill was closed for hours in a storm and people sat there.

Going to Harvey's Lake will not be any easier in bad weather and Bear Creek has no rentals and a steep hill up 115.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Since you need to do this rather quickly you may be stuck in the short term getting a garden apartment. You could always look for home rentals once you are here. There are frequently small rentals at Harvey's Lake especially you try to find one now after summer season but even that drive on 309 will not be easy in the snow.

Perfect, great info, Chef, thank you. It's close enough that even if I have to add 20-30 min to my commute each way, it's not laborious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania