Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,595 times

Advertisements

does an yone have any ideas about the York area, as I too am leaving Fl in Jan Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburke46 View Post
does an yone have any ideas about the York area, as I too am leaving Fl in Jan Thanks
You might want to try posting this same question on the main PA forum, as York is nowhere near Northeastern Pennsylvania. From what I've heard though the city proper of York has a lot of crime, and the surrounding suburbs are very safe and liveable. The population of York County is exploding as people from Maryland move north of the state border in pursuit of a lower cost-of-living. You wouldn't be very far from Lancaster, Harrisburg, or Gettysburg.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
I'm surprised to see no one say to check out all that Luzerne and Lackawanna County have to offer. Scranton and Wilkes Barre are on the verge of renaissance that will bring prosperity to the whole region. I would search for Scrantonwilkesbarre's posts as he has given detailed advice on the area.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
God love ya, talk about a culture shock. Your in for a treat.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I would make sure you find work first. I lived in Pike county before moving to FL. As a matter of a fact, I lived in the area for 29 years. I was very happy with the schools. The problem was that there is no work. Alot of it is seasonal as it is a touristy area. Make sure you like long winters too. It's from one extreme to the other. I wouldn't suggest PCP or Tobyhanna. That area has alot of issues. If you live in Wayne or Pike county, shopping is far away. I lived in Greentown and the closest Wal-mart and mall was 30 minutes away. It is very rural. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:07 PM

522 posts, read 963,000 times
Lightbulb About York...

Dear Sir or Madam,

York is just about like the previous fellow stated..CRIME is an issue especially anywhere near town..the outskirts are alright..but be carefull!
You may want to try the outlying areas ..Hershey is really nice if you aren't too restricted to that area of York.In both areas there has been a rise in population.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 AM

20 posts, read 60,913 times
We recently moved to Northeast PA from NJ and after alot of research and driving around we decided on Clarks Summit. Its about 30 minutes north of Tobyhanna. If schools are the issue for you like they were with us...then check out Abington Heights School District. We find Clarks Summit to be a safe place to live and the mountain scenery is breathtaking. No lack of shopping malls either! Good Luck

Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 PM

21 posts, read 45,166 times
CHeck out the north pocono school district. The houses are a little more expensive, but it is a nice area and good schools, and only 10 minutes from tobyhanna. Lot more stuff available in NP. Try the thornhurst country club estates. Reasonable chalet type homes...a little out a ways though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania