Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times

Advertisements

If you like TV shows on the usual channels like ABC, CBS, etc. try Hulu Ad-Free for $11.99 per month. Plus, they have a bunch of streaming movies like Netflix has and some pretty good originals as well. Hulu, and a decent antenna to pick up local news in the morning and dinner time. It's all we need for $12 per month compared to the $90 and more we were paying for cable. Screw them, they are not worth, we don't miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:00 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
::::Update::::
I finally made my decision. I am going with Ooma box with bluetooth & wifi for $129 out the box and 4K Amazon firestick $75 out the box with Kodi already installed. I already am subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime but thinking of letting them go since the firestick is already Kodi pre-installed. I will keep the internet with Blue Ridge and call it a day. After my initial outlay I should be saving between 65% to 75% for the boob tube and phone. Not bad. Waiting on delivery since I just ordered but by February, I shall officially "cut the cord!"
Terrific!

Old 12-31-2019, 05:14 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Let us know how you make out! How many TVs can you set up with your new system and what does it cost for each TV? It isn't that I watch that much TV; but I would still like to keep it set up in the other bedrooms for company - not that I get that much company.
You probably have to buy a firestick for each tv which we are thinking of doing. Might hold on to Amazon Prime since not only would it match the 4k firestick but I bought 2 Amazon Echo to talk to Alexa. Oh the firestick comes with Alexa voice on the remote. Yayy!!I only have one tv but will eventually replace the tv that died in the bedroom. When kids and guests visit they will just congregate to our family room tv. Let me back up a bit. For the 4k firestick, Amazon Echo devices, you need wifi and internet. I am keeping Blue Ridge just for internet. I bought a wifi(TP-Link). Think I only paid 30 bucks for that so I am set. Just got the alert this morning that both Ooma and firestick is on the way. I am giddy like it's Christmas again.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
You probably have to buy a firestick for each tv which we are thinking of doing. Might hold on to Amazon Prime since not only would it match the 4k firestick but I bought 2 Amazon Echo to talk to Alexa. Oh the firestick comes with Alexa voice on the remote. Yayy!!I only have one tv but will eventually replace the tv that died in the bedroom. When kids and guests visit they will just congregate to our family room tv. Let me back up a bit. For the 4k firestick, Amazon Echo devices, you need wifi and internet. I am keeping Blue Ridge just for internet. I bought a wifi(TP-Link). Think I only paid 30 bucks for that so I am set. Just got the alert this morning that both Ooma and firestick is on the way. I am giddy like it's Christmas again.
Good luck; let us know how that works for you! And; Thanks!

Old 12-31-2019, 12:03 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
Can't understand why people ignorantly put those Internet-connected devices in their homes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...-with-a-laser/

https://arstechnica.com/information-...asers-at-them/

https://www.rt.com/business/425381-a...-hackers-echo/

if you don't mind being listened to by anyone on the Internet then by all means don't cry foul when it happens!!

Last edited by DavidWebb; 12-31-2019 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: corrections made

Old 01-01-2020, 10:06 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
You could always unplug it or throw a dishtowel on top of it. Owning a car doesn't mean that you're required to drive every day.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Can't understand why people ignorantly put those Internet-connected devices in their homes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...-with-a-laser/

https://arstechnica.com/information-...asers-at-them/

https://www.rt.com/business/425381-a...-hackers-echo/

if you don't mind being listened to by anyone on the Internet then by all means don't cry foul when it happens!!
Granted, that is the chance I am taking. With AI, there is that "big brother" aspect to it. I could go very "smart" and have Alexa control my lighting, Hvac, turn on the coffee maker, open the garage door, etc. Not going that far. Too George and Jane Jetson for me. However, I am using it for my media entertainment. Hopefully, I will not regret it.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM

I am not crazy about TVs and monitors that have built in cameras. Unfortunately everybody is look at or listening to everything today. Just buy something from Amazon and how many ads do you get for the same product. You would think that AI would be smart enough to figure out that you only needed one!

Old 01-02-2020, 11:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Just buy something from Amazon and how many ads do you get for the same product.

When you visit site A about blue widgets they may have ads on it from site B, when you visit site C about red widgets that is also using ads from site B it knows you are interested blue widgets and will display an ad.

Quote:

You would think that AI would be smart enough to figure out that you only needed one!
Site A typically does not provide sales data to site B.

AI is much smarter than that. These companies have accumulated enormous amounts of data and using AI they can analyze and detect patterns in that data. They aren't looking at individuals but the data as a whole to make predictions about individuals. Suppose they know you like steak, there is good probability you like potatoes but that is not the type of prediction they are making. Using that and many other data points they can make fairly accurate predictions about something completely unrelated such as the probability of getting divorced.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you visit site A about blue widgets they may have ads on it from site B, when you visit site C about red widgets that is also using ads from site B it knows you are interested blue widgets and will display an ad.

Site A typically does not provide sales data to site B.

AI is much smarter than that. These companies have accumulated enormous amounts of data and using AI they can analyze and detect patterns in that data. They aren't looking at individuals but the data as a whole to make predictions about individuals. Suppose they know you like steak, there is good probability you like potatoes but that is not the type of prediction they are making. Using that and many other data points they can make fairly accurate predictions about something completely unrelated such as the probability of getting divorced.
OK so if they know so much; why do they not know that I only needed one! I look at many things that I will never buy; but AI thinks I will.

I just bought a bag or red, blue, yellow, grey and black widgets. I don't know if I will buy more? I have to wait until I clean the bathtub again and try them out. It was a cleaning brush set that I can use with my screw guns. It looks like it should clean the tub quicker; but I will not know until I try it. So tell Robbie to hold off on the Ads for now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania