Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

I stopped in the Weis market in Mt. Pocono today just a short time ago. There were no carts so I decided to just buy what I could carry. I was actually stopping for an order from Bruno's Pizza and I figured I would run into Weis while I was waiting. But I would have bought more if I had a cart; I wasn't going to go chasing after one in the parking lot.

While shopping I heard one customer complaining about a dispute at the checkout counter while talking to another customer. I grabbed just two one gallon containers; which is all that I could carry and proceeded to checkout. There was only one manned register that had shoppers with many items. Then they have their four automated registers. Only two of them were 'cash or credit' and two were 'credit or debit only'. There was one old (like me) customer at the one cash register and it looked like he would be there until closing (hours away). The other cash or credit register had a woman with a full cart; but she was almost done. There were only a few customers that used the credit or debit registers while I was there. I complained to the other customer, in front of me with just a few items, and he proceeded to tell me that he works for Weis in Stroudsburg. He said that the other stores have been the same way ever since Shoprite opened in Stroudsburg. This store was severely understaffed.

I don't like the idea of loosing any grocery stores; the more competition the better for the consumer. While I do know that Weis has almost 200 stores altogether; I have to wonder if their other stores are also slipping or is this just backing off until they modernize to compete with the Shoprite and Giant in our area? I don't know; maybe they have a buyer in mind? I would not be quick to go back to their stores without some announced changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 03:07 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
There's a Weis in Wellsboro, about 12 miles from me. It's doing fine, as is the Tops in the same town.

Lines form sometimes but not to the point the ice cream melts. And there's 4 self-check-outs, usually a couple at least in use.

Maybe it's just that one store, which of course doesn't help you any.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Prices at Weis Markets have been much higher than other stores, even Wegmans. They jacked up the prices so that they could offer gasoline discounts. It's not a winning strategy.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Prices at Weis Markets have been much higher than other stores, even Wegmans. They jacked up the prices so that they could offer gasoline discounts. It's not a winning strategy.
The man I talked to said that all three stores locally have cut back. Sometimes you just get a sense that there is a change in the air. But it is nice to hear that other stores in the chain are doing fine.

I originally moved away from using Weis because the Shoprite discounts were giving me substantial savings. I think Shoprite does not offer the deals that it once offered. But I never liked the Weis deals of buying two to save money; I did not want two (only one). Who wants to be stuck with things they might not like?

Old 11-14-2019, 07:19 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^ I don't like having to buy multiple items to get a discount. There were some stupid combination coupons in the 1980s and '90s. Things like: buy three General Mills products and get a gallon of milk for free. Uh huh.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:57 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
at the local Weis, you don't always have to do that. It indicates both in the ad and on the little sign under the item if you need to buy a specific quantity to get the discount.

If I buy extra I give it to one of the local food pantries.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
at the local Weis, you don't always have to do that. It indicates both in the ad and on the little sign under the item if you need to buy a specific quantity to get the discount.

If I buy extra I give it to one of the local food pantries.
That's fine but most people do not buy extra simply to give it away. I would rather give a charity what they needed than extra stuff I bought simply to get a discount.

That said; I felt like the Weis service was especially bad and a Weis employee backed up my observations. It could be that they slimmed down for a few weeks after the Shoprite grand opening?

Old 11-15-2019, 05:07 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
I noticed the logjam at the Weiss in East Stroudsburg. Didn't think anything of it until you mentioned it. Plus I only go there in a pinch. I feel this particular Weiss will survive because it serves a particular area. Even though the new Giant is opening in East Stroudsburg, I don't think they will take all their customers because it's in a different part of the town. Some people don't like to go too much out of their way for groceries. Now the one in Stroudsburg, which I never been to since I lived up here, maybe a a casualty because of the new Shoprite just opening up the road. Interesting.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:57 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I'm pretty sure Weis is in the Poconos to stay.

Although their habit of only having one human register open on Saturday at 6:00PM at the Stroudsburg store is annoying. When a lady with a complicated WIC order is in front of you and the cashier has no idea what's going on, that's an issue for management to deal with.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:28 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Weis does pretty well in Clarks Summit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania