Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

OK by all accounts this is a very unusual situation. I have a Primary mortgage that is paid up to date, there was a Home Equity (2nd Mortgage as well). Back in 2013 I was forced to file Chapter 13 Bankruptcy due to a medical condition that forced me out of work, I was self employed at the time. My attorney tried to get the 2nd mortgage into the bankruptcy but was unable to do so. At the time the 2nd mortgage had an insurance policy on it so it covered the missing payments while I was out. Once I went back to work I began to make my payments as I had done prior to the illness. For the next year or so I paid faithfully. In late 2015 my job situation drastically changed the company I was subcontracted too cancelled our contract. I was out of work nearly 4 months, I drained my 401K paying bills etc. By the time I went back to work in May 2016 I was at a substantially lower income. I contacted the bank looking to do a modification but because of the Chapter 13 they would not discuss it with me. I was told to call back once my bankruptcy was discharged. I reiterated I cannot pay the mortgage, the young lady over the phone said Im under Chapter 13 protection. So the following June after my discharge I called back with a plan in hand. My payment was $317 a month. I was going to propose $267 a month and extending the term by about 14 months or so to satisfy the debt. However I was told they could not talk to me at that time because the were merging? with another bank and to call back in a couple weeks. Soooo I did that and after nearly 2 weeks of getting the run around I finally got a gentleman on the phone, I explained the situation and my proposal. He said that is very reasonable I think we can help you. He sent me all the forms which I filled out and included all required documentation. A few weeks later I received a letter requesting more information but there was no indication of what they needed, I attempted 6 times over the next 2 weeks to get in touch with the woman named in the letter. I left message after message and could not get her to return my calls. I finally called the original gentleman back. He got her on the phone with me and she was less than cordial. I re-sent her what she requested she said thank you and hung up, quite rude. Anyway a couple weeks later I get a letter telling me that they could not help me. I was left grasping at straws. As part of my bankruptcy I had to attend a debt counseling session. I brought up this situation and she asked if I had an online account? I said yes, she asked if I had the ability to make a payment online? I said yes, she suggested I try to make the $267 payment I was proposing and see if they accept it. I went home that night and was unable to log into my account. When I tired to reset my information it did not recognize who I was. I called into the 800 Number. I gave them my identifying information and they said we have no account in your name. I was puzzled. Sometime in October of 2017 I received a statement of sorts. Apparently they charged off my loan on Sept 28 2017 in the amount of $23,308.98 but there was a collection agency fee tacked on in the amount of $5,827.25. The loan appears NO WHERE on my credit report, except for the previous bank prior to the merger but it says account closed, no balance transferred to another institution. Since that notice I have received no calls or communication of any kind from a collection agency about it. I have not received anything from the IRS about a tax bill for it being forgiven. This has stumped several people in the financial industry who I have spoken with about it. As they put it it just doesn't disappear. So here are my questions #1 What happened to the loan? 2. Am I still responsible for a loan that has all but disappeared #3 any chance the lien is off my house. #4 its been 2 years since all this took place. I am 6 months from paying off the primary mortgage. Should I worry about them trying to pull something next Spring after it is paid off. I did everything I could to make this situation work. I don't dispute there was an amount owed but at this point I plan to fight it if they do. How am I supposed to pay a bill when they have no record of me and I have had no contact of any kind for more than 2 years? And its not even on my credit report from the last bank to own it. PLEASE tell me your thoughts on this.. Sorry for the long post but this is a doozy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Try the Real Estate forum, and please use paragraphs.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 1,928 times
Sorry I tried to do paragraphs but it came out that way. Sorry I thought I was in the real estate forum my apologies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: