Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

actually they said this week that emerging market oil use now surpasses the united states. the good news is of course we dont manufacture here anymore. one of the reasons we arent feeling the rise overall as bad as a country is less of our gdp is based on the use of oil like it was in the 70's and 80,s.

being the dollar is weak and oil is priced in dollars it is cheaper somewhat to the countries doing the manufacturing then it is to us and so price increases on imports havent been as bad for us as they otherwise might have been.

food inflation is much worse than oil inflation ,because of the use of future contracts by the manufacturers alot of products we buy may be up but no where near the amount they will be when these contracts are up. between our gov't spending spree and food and energy inflation if i had to guess i think we are headed for some pretty sharp price increases,.....

unless we see some wage inflation too we are all screwed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unless we see some wage inflation too we are all screwed
Tell me about it. I've been working for five years now and have yet to eclipse the $10/hr. threshold.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 AM

raises dont exist anymore for most of the working class

Old 04-26-2008, 02:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Default Does such a critter exist?

What is this thing called a raise? Does such a critter exist? Just about every company I've worked for during the past 10 years, comes up with some high fallutin reason why they can't afford to give a rasie to the rank and file associates. Basically, becasue it would mean smaller bonuses doled out to the VPs and the CEO....duh. How can we be so selfish...wouldn't want those VPs driving a 2 yr old BMW instead of a brand new one just so we can put food on the table.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:17 AM

57 posts, read 123,307 times
Think gas is expensive now?

Wait till next week. There are a few nice stories coming to the main stream

Brittan is shutting in oil from the north sea. They are in the midst of a labor strike at their refineries. We also import about 15% of our Gas from them.

Canada has had to shut several of their refineries due to clogging/Maintenance concerns.Tar sands have had supply issues due to the harsh cold weather.

Australia has a fuel crisis due to the large volume of fuel leaving for China.

Nigeria has 2 million barrels a day shut in due to a pipeline explosion.

This is what's gonna drive the price for the next few weeks. Fuel looks to get interesting. I've heard to expect 5-6 dollar gas before too long. Happy motoring.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 AM

when i first bought GSG the commodities fund 2 years ago i think i paid about 34 bucks a share. i figured back then i can either be a victim if we keep rising or profit too. its been over 65 lately.thankfully all my driving for the next few years is free now. ... every so ofton i sell some and put that in my gas and heating fuel kitty...... i never imagined we would hit the levels we did . the markets are reacting higher to every bit of bad news and this is just the perception of bad news.. just imagine if any of these things actually follow thru and pan out.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanb999 View Post
Think gas is expensive now?

Wait till next week. There are a few nice stories coming to the main stream

Brittan is shutting in oil from the north sea. They are in the midst of a labor strike at their refineries. We also import about 15% of our Gas from them.

Canada has had to shut several of their refineries due to clogging/Maintenance concerns.Tar sands have had supply issues due to the harsh cold weather.

Australia has a fuel crisis due to the large volume of fuel leaving for China.

Nigeria has 2 million barrels a day shut in due to a pipeline explosion.

This is what's gonna drive the price for the next few weeks. Fuel looks to get interesting. I've heard to expect 5-6 dollar gas before too long. Happy motoring.
Then after that a hurricane approaching (not hitting) the gulf region as another excuse to raise prices even more, then "if" it hits then an additional another price increase.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 AM

its all about perception in the future, there is always something lurking not even on the radar.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 AM

57 posts, read 123,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its all about perception in the future, there is always something lurking not even on the radar.
This stuff isn't "on the radar"

They are occurring Now. This is not a drill. Gas prices will get interesting.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 AM

50 posts, read 103,157 times
Every week there is a "reason" why oil/gasoline prices continue to go up. Lack of oil production, lack of refirnery production, a camel could fart in the middle east and that will cause a spike.

All I can say at this time, TGFT - Thank God For Telecommuting.

Still have to run the kiddos to the bus stop and some of the other essentials, but at least the 40 mile round trip each day is limited to once a week.

We'll see $4.00 a gallon before Memorial Day and stay there if not go up over the entire summer. The economies going to dive big time then if it already hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania