Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,345 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I recently moved to the Mt. Pocono area in August of 07 and are currently renting. We plan to buy in August of 08 and our price range stops at 205,000. We have realized that the are many homes for sale in our price range due to the current market but we know little about the area, other then what is in close proximity to us now (PCP is not an option from what we here i don't want to even look at places there). The "Penn Estates" in East Stroudsburg has many options matching what we are looking for but, we don't know anything about the community. We want to eventually raise a family and would like to find something that will be safe. Our jobs are keeping us close to Sanofi, but soon his would need to send him for partial travel into Parssipany, NJ. Any suggestions, info, and help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:49 PM

73 posts, read 276,828 times
We have friends in Penn Estates and they like it there. They are also a retired couple.

Have you looked in the Pleasant Valley School District? I am sure you can find a home in your price range and from where I live it would take me 20 min to where you work. It's a nice area too. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:29 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Myself and my neighbors moved out of Penn Estates.
When we all first moved there it was a quiet, relaxed place. Most of the streets had vacation homes.........so us full timers were maybe 3 families to a street.
What happened is after 9/11 many inner( getto) city people came into PE.......then crime came there..........and it became crowded.
We could no longer spend quiet time at the pool. It was full.......and there was no swimming room..........
Rotweiller dogs were left on porches, when the renters decided to leave........
Rocks were painted white........which was not suspose to be.
People would hang around and gather, where no one had done this before.
Garages were suddenly written on in the middle of the night.......
Things were getting stolen from yards. ( one a motor bike)
People would follow you through the back gate, tailing you.........with lights off.
There was a shooting that occured also.
We began to all feel that we were locked inside with the criminals rather then safe from...........
Another thought is that you should be able to abide by the rules. If you change a window or fix a roof.........you must get permission.
At one point a neighbor was photographed putting in a window........( he did have a permit)
The infractions get turned in, and you get fined. You need a permit for most all that you do. They use to put photos of "wrongdoings" in the PE Newsletter........
If you object to something, as one lady did once, they reprimand you in front of the entire gathering......like you actually said something of horror. When you did not.
If you write in Penn Estates in the Search area above, you will find many postings about this community.
I agree with JenLie........its so nice living in a more carefree spot. Without all these rules, people here by the PV School District, are very neat, clean.......and things look quite nice. It is so, so, less stressful........
I am quite afraid PE was becoming more and more like PCP, or will in time for sure.
Believe me I loved it, loved the lake for swimming, loved the pool, trees, deer.........but, I am glad along with others to have left.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 33,527 times
it is that serious out there we are purchasing property over there on oaklans terrace, should we reconsider

Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
You may want to consider the Milford are if you are traveling to Parsippany. Just about an hour by car.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I havn't been up there in probably 5 years. Myself, and my neighbors moved out. Its best to walk around a neighborhood your interested in. Get the realtor to let you linger a bit.......drive around. Stop ask questions. Use the search area up top if you write in the community name.
Go on the weekends when everyone is around. Try to look up the archives of the Pocono Record.......although much wasn't printed in many cases. Best of luck to you.......

Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM

38 posts, read 136,631 times
I live in Penn Estates and both my wife and I love it. Very quiet & clean and everyone is friendly. I do not see any signs vandalism or kids hanging out acting like savages. I've been going to P.E. for years now due to some friends that live the community and that's what prompted my decision to purchase there. I have absolutely no regrets !!!!

Best of luck "Adamgfd" & if you have any questions please feel free to send them my way. I'll be more than happy to reply.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgfd View Post
it is that serious out there we are purchasing property over there on oaklans terrace, should we reconsider
I sold my lot on Oakland Terrace in 2005, precisely for all the reasons Summering mentioned. I then used that money as a downpayment on a new home in NC. The HOA fee, even on a lot, was climbing precipitously every year since I bought the lot in 1986. Taxes in the area had also gone up to the point, where as a retired person, I wouldn't have really saved anything over continuing to live in NJ. So moving to NC, instead of Penn Estates saved me a boatload of money! Penn Estates changed from being an "upscale mixed use" vacation and residential community to one where people from NJ and NY who couldn't afford the housing there, moved! They brought a lot of the "baggage" of their original communities' problems with them. This completely changed the character of Penn Estates, and not for the better!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:15 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I sold my lot on Oakland Terrace in 2005, precisely for all the reasons Summering mentioned. I then used that money as a downpayment on a new home in NC. The HOA fee, even on a lot, was climbing precipitously every year since I bought the lot in 1986. Taxes in the area had also gone up to the point, where as a retired person, I wouldn't have really saved anything over continuing to live in NJ. So moving to NC, instead of Penn Estates saved me a boatload of money! Penn Estates changed from being an "upscale mixed use" vacation and residential community to one where people from NJ and NY who couldn't afford the housing there, moved! They brought a lot of the "baggage" of their original communities' problems with them. This completely changed the character of Penn Estates, and not for the better!
How's NC treating you? How do you compare it to PA?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
How's NC treating you? How do you compare it to PA?
becky - I love the weather! Last year we had a "lot of snow" - an inch! Taxes are half of what they'd be on a similar-sized house in PA. I'm one of those people who would only move back to the Northeast kicking and screaming and that would even include if I had a big winning lottery ticket! After 53 years in NJ, it was time to leave and NC was the perfect choice. NC is not for everyone tho'! If you need to see a Broadway show every week, you're not going to find it in the Charlotte Metro area. Life is slower and more relaxed - for me. For younger folks, the jobs here are nowhere as plentiful as they once were, and the infrastructure here needs serious upgrading due to the population increase. But all-in-all, I've adapted quite well and love it down here! I think at this point, Charlotte is a better place to retire to, than to transfer to, or move here to, on a whim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania