Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 11:38 PM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I was reading that people making masks out of vacuum cleaner bags block 86% of viruses but they are harder to breathe through. I have a few N95 masks but they indeed fog up my specs. I found a few fabric masks that I have been using to alternate with the N95's that I have. Will be out of the N95's by the end of the month. Had them left over from doing chores, painting, etc. Mrs. Quiet Life went to the Walmart in East Stroudsburg and there was a line to get in. 1 person leaves, another goes in deal. She told me she got thru quickly though. Life during a pandemic.
This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no fooling around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 05:57 AM

10,181 posts, read 6,235,049 times
What are they doing with couples, or parent and child, shopping together? Only one of them gets inside? I have definitely seen couples shopping together in Mt. Pocono Shop Rite, even a mother and adult daughter together. They were arguing over what to make for dinner. lol Social distancing from someone who lives with you?

IMHO, Governor Wolf should open up the State Wine and Spirits stores. We have a elderly friend who comes by our house to pick up my leftovers for him. He told us he drove into NJ to buy liquor and the parking lot was full of PA plates. "Going again next week." "Want something?"

Counter productive, Governor? If the local Mt. Pocono store was open, he would go there instead. People here talk about NY and NJ people coming here, but what about PA residents going there and back?

Old 04-08-2020, 03:04 AM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What are they doing with couples, or parent and child, shopping together? Only one of them gets inside? I have definitely seen couples shopping together in Mt. Pocono Shop Rite, even a mother and adult daughter together. They were arguing over what to make for dinner. lol Social distancing from someone who lives with you?

IMHO, Governor Wolf should open up the State Wine and Spirits stores. We have a elderly friend who comes by our house to pick up my leftovers for him. He told us he drove into NJ to buy liquor and the parking lot was full of PA plates. "Going again next week." "Want something?"

Counter productive, Governor? If the local Mt. Pocono store was open, he would go there instead. People here talk about NY and NJ people coming here, but what about PA residents going there and back?
It's stupid. My son and I had a very nice spaghetti with tomato meat sauce last night and enjoyed a glass of red wine with it. Some of the wine went into the sauce. He also makes an excellent creamy chicken, white wine, basil sauce. That sounded a little creepy to me before I tried it, but I think that it's really good. The point is that it doesn't work without the white wine.

Julia Child would be appalled!

Old 04-08-2020, 11:05 AM

10,181 posts, read 6,235,049 times
My husband read that West Virginia is banning PA cars from crossing their border to buy liquor. He called up a (different) friend and the two of them are going into NJ to a liquor store. Wants to do this before NJ does the same thing. What do you need? Can you make a Rum Cake without RUM? I also use Tequila in my chicken grilling. Irish Stew without beer????? Can you social distance in a car sitting next to the driver?

His friend is going to Easter Dinner at his daughter's house with her, SIL, two kids, his adult son who lives with him, his brother nearby, and his GF who does not live with him. "I need to stock up on booze with all those people". How can you enforce family members who live near each other from not getting together? ALL PA year round residents!

Sorry, as I said before, Tobyhanna does not have the police force to go around counting the number of cars, in state or out of, in every driveway.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:44 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,591,116 times
How is everyone?

We've been housebound for 26 days now. I'm working from home for my full-time job, my part-time job is closed indefinitely with pay. I only take walks and food shop once per week.

Parents cancelled their vacation, they hope to go away in the autumn, but it looks like none of us will be travelling in the near future. I love going to the beach, but who knows what summer will bring. One day at a time.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:01 PM

3,699 posts, read 2,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
How is everyone?

We've been housebound for 26 days now. I'm working from home for my full-time job, my part-time job is closed indefinitely with pay. I only take walks and food shop once per week.

Parents cancelled their vacation, they hope to go away in the autumn, but it looks like none of us will be travelling in the near future. I love going to the beach, but who knows what summer will bring. One day at a time.

So far, so good. I, as well, am working full time from home. I take walks and grocery shop on a whim. Tip from Walgreens clerk in Stroudsburg said they were getting deliveries today. However, no Lysol spray or wipes were part of the delivery. BJ's hasn't had Lysol in weeks. Is Lysol only reserved for the hospitals and healthcare facilities at this point? At my place of employment, I know I am going to be working at home until 1st week of May. I surmise it may be longer. The media is slanting their stories on the Covid-19 virus headed towards flattening the curve, not as many cases. However, people are still getting it and many are still dying. To be continued...

Old 04-10-2020, 06:06 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,862,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
How is everyone?

My company manufactures some components used in medical devices so we are still (barely) running. The majority of our salaried staff are working from home and only 31 of our 184 hourly employees are still working since 85% of our location is automotive components. The only 4 salaried people still physically at work there are a production supervisor, the plant manager, me (division HR manager) and the controller.

We go for walks around the neighborhood and we go to parks once in a while. We also go to Lake Erie and beachcomb or just walk around.

We shop once a week and buy everything we need for the week. DH buys a lot of 'non-essentials' and fun stuff online lately.

We have cancelled our trip to Detroit area to visit DH's family and the trip to Oswego, NY area to see my mom & siblings.

I'm working on learning Spanish, sewing, reading more, getting back into drawing so am keeping occupied.

Here's hoping that everything improves, soon.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:23 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,591,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
So far, so good. I, as well, am working full time from home. I take walks and grocery shop on a whim. Tip from Walgreens clerk in Stroudsburg said they were getting deliveries today. However, no Lysol spray or wipes were part of the delivery. BJ's hasn't had Lysol in weeks. Is Lysol only reserved for the hospitals and healthcare facilities at this point? At my place of employment, I know I am going to be working at home until 1st week of May. I surmise it may be longer. The media is slanting their stories on the Covid-19 virus headed towards flattening the curve, not as many cases. However, people are still getting it and many are still dying. To be continued...
Between that and toilet paper. I'm glad my parents buy in bulk and bought plenty before COVID-19 hit the radar, but hopefully it lasts for a while. I have a feeling we're in it for the long haul.

I applied for some new jobs and one of the jobs I applied for, mentioned they won't start looking at applications until the first week of May. Who knows, at this point it's a guessing game. I'm having issues at my current job with management, so if worse comes to worse, I'll spruce up my resume during this.

Marie Joseph, being able to beachcomb sounds lovely. I've been scrapbooking and each year, my Happiness Box Project usually takes 10 months to scrapbook. I'm already halfway through May 2019, I should be done Happiness Box 2019's scrapbook by June. I guess if we're still quarantined, I can start scrapping vacations and I'll continue working on collection from Happiness Box 2020.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:24 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times
We are still working but for how long we don’t know. We both work in freight and my company is looking for volunteers to take a 6 month furlough. If they don’t get enough people, they will go by seniority and I am at the bottom of the list. Hubby had set hours but now is on call. He may work some days, may not work other days.
Our boys are doing on line college and came home for the weekend from Pittsburgh. Their jobs are gone for now and one is on call for the national guard. They are bored to distraction.

Just scared that we will both be out of work at the same time.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:15 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We are still working but for how long we don’t know. We both work in freight and my company is looking for volunteers to take a 6 month furlough. If they don’t get enough people, they will go by seniority and I am at the bottom of the list. Hubby had set hours but now is on call. He may work some days, may not work other days.
Our boys are doing on line college and came home for the weekend from Pittsburgh. Their jobs are gone for now and one is on call for the national guard. They are bored to distraction.

Just scared that we will both be out of work at the same time.
There is a little positive news today from Monroe County; we only had 22 new confirmed cases. It looks like the numbers are coming down which is a good thing. Of course that is with this quarantine still on. Unfortunately our Country has to get back to business as usual and that will not happen until we get a cure or vaccine. I keep searching for updates on the progress we are making and just don't see anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania