Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:30 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They just announced the first case in Monroe County: https://www.pahomepage.com/news/new-...monroe-county/. They did not give specifics or even the hospital where they are being treated.
Cool that they were signing for the deaf. I've lost track of my old friend JJ who was deaf since birth. His cutting edge hearing aids allowed him to hear some things, but he primarily read lips and learned how sign when he was rather young. He's a very bright guy and got to attend Gallaudet University.

I think that we have to consider that some who are elderly and alone won't necessarily have the latest news. Some will because they watch TV all day, but not everyone does.

I rarely watch news. My son tells me what I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:21 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Cool that they were signing for the deaf. I've lost track of my old friend JJ who was deaf since birth. His cutting edge hearing aids allowed him to hear some things, but he primarily read lips and learned how sign when he was rather young. He's a very bright guy and got to attend Gallaudet University.

I think that we have to consider that some who are elderly and alone won't necessarily have the latest news. Some will because they watch TV all day, but not everyone does.

I rarely watch news. My son tells me what I need to know.
Unfortunately we get very little news here in my area. My feeling is that they prefer it that way since they do not want to get our big tourist sites angry with them for telling the truth. WNEP used to have an office in Stroudsburg but now they dropped local news coverage of many communities; I presume they either shut down their office or they are going to shut it down? Our Channel 13 BRCTV is more of a feel good news program and not too much of the real news.

One of my coworkers told me last night that our one Monroe County patient was in Pocono Hospital. I see that WNEP has confirmed that: https://www.wnep.com/. Of course there is the large Gardens rehab and nursing home right across the street; hopefully it will be contained in the hospital. Pocono Hospital is doing a great job since Lehigh took over.

PS Here is one article about what this virus has done to tourism: https://weather.com/health/news/2020...urism-photos#3

Old 03-10-2020, 07:29 AM

490 posts, read 623,657 times
5000 people have died from the flu in the last two weeks in the USA. The regular flu. Deaths from Covid 19 are currently at 26.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Our news comes from Scranton. They usually don't report much on things happening around here. They do, however, report on PCP. lol Heard that the other day on TV that a cop shot someone coming at him with a knife! Guess that place is infamous beyond Monroe County?

Back to OT. The Farms is having their annual St. Patrick's Dinner on Saturday. Not cancelled. All tables are usually full. Young step dancers perform from a dance school in Stroudsburg. You go in the restaurant parking lot and you see far more NY plates than PA ones. Second homes? Visiting the Grandparents? Will it be empty on Saturday? I really doubt that. Our Mt. Pocono VFW is still having their Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner. Most of the members are 50+. They won't go because they are Seniors who need to avoid people?

Are the parades being cancelled? No. Even NYC is still having their parade. The restaurants and bars there would take a MAJOR Financial hit if it was cancelled.

For all the Media reports and Internet Panic, I have not seen it in my travels, locally or out of state in NY.

Edit: My older Grandson was telling his Dad he wants to go back to Kalahari. They stay with us overnight and get a day pass for the water park.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
....virus's just don't appear out of the blue for any reason....

It just like any other organism, they evolve from other strains. It's entirely possible it will mutate into something even more deadly. It's almost inevitable that at some point a "super bug" will emerge and wipe out a lot of the world's population.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
5000 people have died from the flu in the last two weeks in the USA. The regular flu. Deaths from Covid 19 are currently at 26.

This is just getting started.The cases will rise exponentially.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is just getting started.The cases will rise exponentially.
With the flu the cases peak in the winter months and then disappear during the warmer months. Of course it can again return the following Fall/Winter season; maybe because of the start of the school year? With the COVID-19 we do not know if it has a season? It is very hard to say because so many travelers simply returned home. Only time and better research will tell us what we are dealing with. My feeling is that the lack of information on this new virus is what caused our markets to drop so dramatically? But that is just my speculation.

I am curious if our local water parks have been hurt? Last week I went for a takeout Chinese meal and I was the only customer; it could have been just that particular time? I have a sister in Baltimore that has been traveling to 'dog sit' and she has cancelled her upcoming appointments in other countries.

Right now we need some good news about the containment, cure, or possible vaccine and that is the only way to boast our morale.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:20 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It just like any other organism, they evolve from other strains.
You are correct....in my opinion considering it may have been purposely created it will evolve just like AIDS did....another "disease" (IMO) created to do away with the undesirables in life....just look at what the CIA did back in the day with MK ULTRA and all the other nefarious projects they were involved with....

Old 03-10-2020, 01:03 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Unfortunately we get very little news here in my area. My feeling is that they prefer it that way since they do not want to get our big tourist sites angry with them for telling the truth. WNEP used to have an office in Stroudsburg but now they dropped local news coverage of many communities; I presume they either shut down their office or they are going to shut it down? Our Channel 13 BRCTV is more of a feel good news program and not too much of the real news.

One of my coworkers told me last night that our one Monroe County patient was in Pocono Hospital. I see that WNEP has confirmed that: https://www.wnep.com/. Of course there is the large Gardens rehab and nursing home right across the street; hopefully it will be contained in the hospital. Pocono Hospital is doing a great job since Lehigh took over.

PS Here is one article about what this virus has done to tourism: https://weather.com/health/news/2020...urism-photos#3
My water park days are in the past, but I wouldn't go this year even if I had to disappoint a child. Years ago, mom and I took Martz excursions to New York City, Philadelphia, Peddler's Village, and Lancaster area for the Amish tour.* I wouldn't take her to any of those places this year.

*I could have driven her to most of those places, but she was a nervous car passenger. She felt more safe on a bus. Thanks mom.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My water park days are in the past, but I wouldn't go this year even if I had to disappoint a child. Years ago, mom and I took Martz excursions to New York City, Philadelphia, Peddler's Village, and Lancaster area for the Amish tour.* I wouldn't take her to any of those places this year.

*I could have driven her to most of those places, but she was a nervous car passenger. She felt more safe on a bus. Thanks mom.
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, many of us have already started our 'quarantine' even though we do not (knock on wood) have the corona virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania