Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 PM

189 posts, read 205,315 times

Advertisements

Hello All I am new to this and would need some advice. We are a interracial couple engaged. I am from NJ and he is from Wisconsin. Our age group is 35-40 We dont have any children and currently live in Wisconsin. We both have been eye balling Pennsylvania area for quite a while and looking to relocate around that area next year lord willing. I always been a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, traveling, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my fiance, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy who basically enjoys gaming and traveling. Just looking for a permanent place to purchase a home and live out our days. Is there anyone out there who can suggest some suburban areas around that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse place to purchase a home ranging from $100-175k if it's a decent foreclosure on a decent size land 1 to 2 acres we are also consider depending on circumstances.

As far as our work experience, I have medical, customer service and CDL driving experience. As far a him he is into manufacturing, computer software and IT. He is also looking into a plumbing career starting out as a apprentice. We've been to Harrisburg, Easton, Reading, and Carlisle. We weren't too interested in those areas. We hear that PA has a decent healthcare system which is a plus for us considering this is where we want to settle and retire. I've read that Northwestern PA has good qualities right outside the city with minimal commute. So does anyone know any towns that would fit what we are looking for? Feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 05:26 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
If you look on the main page for NEPA you'll notice there's a post for newbies right above this one looking to relocate to this area. Start there!!

Old 05-09-2020, 08:55 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
You should be aware that there are many small towns in northeastern and central PA where interracial couples would not be welcomed with open arms. I'd concentrate my search on the cities of Scranton and
Wilkes-Barre. See link below for adult autism services available in NEPA.

Regional Autism and Asperger's Resources - NEPAFamily.com

Old 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You should be aware that there are many small towns in northeastern and central PA where interracial couples would not be welcomed with open arms. I'd concentrate my search on the cities of Scranton and
Wilkes-Barre. See link below for adult autism services available in NEPA.

Regional Autism and Asperger's Resources - NEPAFamily.com
Really is that so. I guess they will live then won't they or die trying

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-22-2020 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Really is that so. I guess they will live then won't they or die tryin...

Can't understand the above statement.

Check the thread linked below. To quote James Carville: "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/harr...y-upstate.html

Old 05-09-2020, 03:05 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Really is that so. I guess they will live then won't they or die trying
Its also that attitude and mentality that creates the tension and unwelcome atmosphere that exists out here in NEPA. The locals, if you should unfortunately move into an area such as described by Wells5, will make your life and the kids miserable. Remember: they've been here for generations. You haven't. Good luck changing what's been in place generations after generations. I'm out!!

Old 05-09-2020, 03:41 PM

the meaning to that statement i made was this. You mentioned alot of towns are NOT ACCEPTING of interracial couples. With that being said, if i was to move there anyway. The won't die as a result will they. I will feel bad if someone died or had a heart attack because of someone new moving in. Im sure they will still live.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Its also that attitude and mentality that creates the tension and unwelcome atmosphere that exists out here in NEPA. The locals, if you should unfortunately move into an area such as described by Wells5, will make your life and the kids miserable. Remember: they've been here for generations. You haven't. Good luck changing what's been in place generations after generations. I'm out!!

not trying to change anything bro it no attitude People are people and also different race mentality and attitudes (Wow i can't believe i had to mention that) but at the same token We aren't changing WHO ARE either except abiding by the laws of the STATE OF PA I'm not living for the people in NEPA. Peace out JERSEY STYLE

Old 05-09-2020, 05:30 PM

Have you looked at the "making friends in NEPA" thread on this same page? Read what "Sheena" has to say about being hounded out of Wilkes-Barre and they are a white couple.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Have you looked at the "making friends in NEPA" thread on this same page? Read what "Sheena" has to say about being hounded out of Wilkes-Barre and they are a white couple.
Yea thanks for that i read its sheena 12. I actually read that before I made my first post she was speaking of (NEPA) im guessing is northeast PA i presume thats just crazy i mean we are experiencing that same thing here in Wisconsin but here's the thing most of the people in this small town we are in are elderly homeowners there is only 1 apartment complex here and we are in it. this town has 1200 people 5 black, all the rest white, 90% of them elderly. for the past 4 years and get this my fiance is FROM WISCONSIN even he doesn't want to be here. We've been a few places in pa like carlisle, harrisburg,easton, schuykill haven, jack township because i worked in the past with a traveling carnival who would have thought. However I am not interested in ANY of these towns permanently to call home. I'm just looking to put our roots down and live the rest of my days out in peace with low crime, diversity area preferably 30 to 45 minutes outside city limits that's all. Looking to purchase land in a remote area and build

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-22-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania