Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the poconos has not been in demand at all ....

in fact we bought our house in tanglwood north in pike in 2007 .. we paid 235k ...the people we bought from had it built 2 years earlier for 250k .

we sold in 2012 for 235k ...the people we sold to sold it in 2015 for 175k ...they really got killed ... today the house is worth less then it was in 2007.
Another: I didn't make a mistake; your area did! How long are you going to blame our area for your mistakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 03:53 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Another: I didn't make a mistake; your area did! How long are you going to blame our area for your mistakes?
i don't call pke county a mistake at all . but i do call monroe county for many a mistake . soaring taxes , 8 years of price declines and all the problems cities see with gangs and drugs have been an issue .... where we were in lake wallanpaupack we had to deal with only falling values for the most part

Old 06-05-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
i don't call pke county a mistake at all . but i do call monroe county for many a mistake . soaring taxes , 8 years of price declines and all the problems cities see with gangs and drugs have been an issue .... where we were in lake wallanpaupack we had to deal with only falling values for the most part
My taxes went down this year! What do you know about Monroe County? You did not even live in Monroe when you lived here.

I just have this problem with your comments because you made all the decisions. You were happy with your place when you first bought. But you did not buy as an investment. You bought because you wanted to hunt, fish, shoot and enjoy the outdoors. You changed your mind over the years. Then you decided it was not for you. These were all personal decisions and you keep coming back here to tell us our area stinks! We did not make your decisions. Grow up and take responsibility for the decisions you did make. So you lost money; like nobody in NYC ever lost money!

Give us a break!

Old 06-05-2020, 04:35 AM

not what data shows about monroe

The median property tax in Monroe County, Pennsylvania is $3,454 per year for a home worth the median value of $206,400. Monroe County collects, on average, 1.67% of a property's assessed fair market value as property tax. Monroe County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 115th of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes.

your anecdotal situation does not change the fact monroe is highest between pike and wayne . monroe is almost 2x wayne county
http://www.tax-rates.org/pennsylvania/property-tax

Old 06-05-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
not what data shows about monroe

The median property tax in Monroe County, Pennsylvania is $3,454 per year for a home worth the median value of $206,400. Monroe County collects, on average, 1.67% of a property's assessed fair market value as property tax. Monroe County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 115th of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes.

your anecdotal situation does not change the fact monroe is highest between pike and wayne . monroe is almost 2x wayne county
Pennsylvania Property Taxes By County - 2020
My taxes and my sister's taxes are about $100 lower than last year. She has a newer house than my old house. I don't know about your figures; only about my bills!

But now that you have moved to NYC; what is you interest in Monroe County? You owned a house in Wayne County as far as we know. You have told us you are so happy since you moved back to NYC; so why bother with our little 'slum', 'overtaxed' community? You lost your money in Wayne County; not in Monroe.

Why not simply spend your time on the NYC forums trying to convince everybody not to move to the Poconos?

You only remember the bad parts of living here and not the good parts. Your memory is selective and I do not know why your are so vindictive - other than you fail to take any responsibility for your own decisions. It is like saying over and over again: I do not make mistakes!

Old 06-05-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
My taxes and my sister's taxes are about $100 lower than last year. She has a newer house than my old house. I don't know about your figures; only about my bills!

But now that you have moved to NYC; what is you interest in Monroe County? You owned a house in Wayne County as far as we know. You have told us you are so happy since you moved back to NYC; so why bother with our little 'slum', 'overtaxed' community? You lost your money in Wayne County; not in Monroe.

Why not simply spend your time on the NYC forums trying to convince everybody not to move to the Poconos?

You only remember the bad parts of living here and not the good parts. Your memory is selective and I do not know why your are so vindictive - other than you fail to take any responsibility for your own decisions. It is like saying over and over again: I do not make mistakes!
you keep saying i lost money .. i sold for what we paid but regardless ...

you are twisting things around ... someone asked why prices are so much lower than they were in the poconos ..
until the last year or so appreciation sucked ... there were 8 straight years of declines in most of the popular pocono areas and 5 years of stagnant returns prior to that . that is 13 years for the most part with no or little growth ...so yeah prices are lower
will conditions stay poor ? don't know , but it is what it was .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-05-2020 at 05:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
you keep saying i lost money .. i sold for what we paid but regardless ...

you are twisting things around ... someone asked why prices are so much lower than they were in the poconos ..
until the last year or so appreciation sucked ... there were 8 straight years of declines in most of the popular pocono areas and 5 years of stagnant returns prior to that . that is 13 years for the most part with no or little growth ...so yeah prices are lower
will conditions stay poor ? don't know , but it is what it was .
I have no idea what your reasoning is. All I can do is look at what happened with Sheena and WarrenZee. A lot of people reached out to help them and you know the saying: "No good deed goes unpunished".

You were the one complaining about losing money or not getting what you expected to get for your house. While you are now keeping tabs on our housing market; why didn't you hold out for better timing? But regardless; these are your decisions; not ours. I have been happy where I live and I have lived in this community for 73 years. Of course I have some complaints; like our local news and local PennDOT. But I am not going to bad mouth my whole community because I take exception with a few. I am in no rush to sell; heck I don't want to sell period! Just minutes ago I and my son watched about a 400 pound bear cross our property and head for the neighbors' (which I called to warn them). I don't think you have any of that excitement in the city!

Old 06-05-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what your reasoning is. All I can do is look at what happened with Sheena and WarrenZee. A lot of people reached out to help them and you know the saying: "No good deed goes unpunished".

You were the one complaining about losing money or not getting what you expected to get for your house. While you are now keeping tabs on our housing market; why didn't you hold out for better timing? But regardless; these are your decisions; not ours. I have been happy where I live and I have lived in this community for 73 years. Of course I have some complaints; like our local news and local PennDOT. But I am not going to bad mouth my whole community because I take exception with a few. I am in no rush to sell; heck I don't want to sell period! Just minutes ago I and my son watched about a 400 pound bear cross our property and head for the neighbors' (which I called to warn them). I don't think you have any of that excitement in the city!
who cares if you are happy or not ...the question was not is fisheye happy ...the question in this thread was why are the prices so much lower than they were ..

it has nothing to do with me , you or anyone else for that matter .. it is only about why are the prices so much lower .. APPRECIATION WAS NON EXISTENT FOR MORE THAN A DECADE IN MOST OF THE POCONOS IS THE ANSWER.

instead of trying to attack my opinion in every thread try paying attention to the questions asked..

as far as why not hold on to the house to sell at a better time ? because taking the money from the house and investing it elsewhere can buy 3 homes like we had today. so we quickly made back any gains given up on that money . the s&p 500 returned an average of 12.35% a year on that money since 2012 ...the house is still worth less than we sold it for . so there was no point in holding it longer once we decided we really do not want to retire there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
what I am missing ?listed for 950k 6 years ago, as far as i can tell didnt sell, and now listed for 700k. thats a big drop but cant seem to figure out why. not a foreclosure. seems to be maintained well by long time current owners. real estate taxes seem reasonable for the tristate area. home price affordable by NYC metro standards. seems like a perfect getaway from covid19 home for someone with a well paying remote job. only strange thing sis land assessment bumped up big time last 3 years then dropped back down last year Mod cut. Single listings are not allowed

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-05-2020 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
who cares if you are happy or not ...the question was not is fisheye happy ...the question in this thread was why are the prices so much lower than they were ..

it has nothing to do with me , you or anyone else for that matter .. it is only about why are the prices so much lower .. APPRECIATION WAS NON EXISTENT FOR MORE THAN A DECADE IN MOST OF THE POCONOS IS THE ANSWER.

instead of trying to attack my opinion in every thread try paying attention to the questions asked..

as far as why not hold on to the house to sell at a better time ? because taking the money from the house and investing it elsewhere can buy 3 homes like we had today. so we quickly made back any gains given up on that money . the s&p 500 returned an average of 12.35% a year on that money since 2012 ...the house is still worth less than we sold it for . so there was no point in holding it longer once we decided we really do not want to retire there .
I am paying attention. You moved back 'home' to NYC and you are very happy. But for some reason you cannot leave this forum and you put us down. You lived in Wayne County; but you hold a grudge against Monroe.

I know that we have some problems. But I would rather see us attempt to work through those problems and you are no longer part of the community. It isn't only that; I would like to see more constructive criticism on how to solve our problems. Of course I am not god or a moderator. This is my opinion only.

By the way; my house is appraised at three times what I paid for it. But it is 50 years old. About three years ago me and my sisters sold our parents house for three times what our parents paid for the house. My parents loved where they lived and we (when my wife was alive) loved where we live. My grandparents bought 88 acres, where Staples sits in Stroud township, in 1950 and ten years later the made ten times their original investment by selling off only 11 acres! There are always deals; one just has to do the homework and always keep your eyes open.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I am paying attention. You moved back 'home' to NYC and you are very happy. But for some reason you cannot leave this forum and you put us down. You lived in Wayne County; but you hold a grudge against Monroe.

I know that we have some problems. But I would rather see us attempt to work through those problems and you are no longer part of the community. It isn't only that; I would like to see more constructive criticism on how to solve our problems. Of course I am not god or a moderator. This is my opinion only.

By the way; my house is appraised at three times what I paid for it. But it is 50 years old. About three years ago me and my sisters sold our parents house for three times what our parents paid for the house. My parents loved where they lived and we (when my wife was alive) loved where we live. My grandparents bought 88 acres, where Staples sits in Stroud township, in 1950 and ten years later the made ten times their original investment by selling off only 11 acres! There are always deals; one just has to do the homework and always keep your eyes open.
I answer all questions posted here with facts and data ...you may not like what it shows but it is what it is.

This was a question about appreciation...appreciation sucked since 2007 ,that is a fact and it addresses his question about why prices are lower now then they were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania