Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 10:02 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Hilarious. Particularly since the first reply indicates that this sarcastic wit completely blew over the head of the intended recipient.
You can talk about sarcastic wit all you want. You can put us down. But I have everything I need for this lifetime and I have it here in Monroe. 20 of us own 650 acres with a 35 acre private lake; I am not jealous of your pools. I own five acres surrounded by other property owners that own acreage; I have plenty of wildlife to look at every day. I don't have any debt and that is because of jobs that I hold or had worked at in this County. I have everything I need and that seems to elude the two of you.

Yes some people make mistakes. Many bought properties over here for well above what they could actually afford. Many did underestimated the long commute and that is why we are known for having one of the longest commutes in the Nation. But is that our fault or the buyer's? We try to explain what perspective new buyers will experience when they get here. I try to encourage them to rent before they buy and try the commute. You talk about bullet trains in China and it will never happen here. Many miles of the old rail lines to the City have been repurposed; you cannot even follow them on Google Earth. The only hope for any commuters is if we had six or more lanes into NJ to tie into their widened Interstate. That will not happen anytime soon; if ever. I do not have any faith in PennDOT as far as correcting our problems; I do not believe they are capable. They are taking three years on two and a half miles of Route 611 here in Swiftwater! Other roads they repaired last year are breaking up this year.

But while I talk about our problems; you have serious problems in the cities. I just do not think it is fair to single out one area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 10:58 AM

599 posts, read 498,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You can talk about sarcastic wit all you want. You can put us down.

Please stop with the martyr schtick, it's tiring. You seem to think that you are the official spokesperson for the region. I can assure you, after three decades of being a resident, with a ton of friends and business contacts there, you do not represent a consensus, and overvalue your opinions severely.

But while I talk about our problems; you have serious problems in the cities.

Not quite sure of who you think "you" is, or that everybody who disagrees with you is automatically a city dweller? You need to be awfully grateful for the city dwellers of NYC and to a lesser extent, Philly, since the Poconos would be an economically barren disaster without them. There are dozens of counties in Pennsylvania, from central PA, through the northern tier and west to Erie, where you can find the same natural beauty that the Poconos offer, AND a perpetually stagnant economy, perpetually declining population, and little opportunity. That's how it is when you are not one of the nearby playgrounds for one of the largest and most financially vibrant cities on earth.

I just do not think it is fair to single out one area.

Once again it's the "oh, poor me" schtick. Any thread about the Poconos that isn't glowing, and in lockstep with your opinion is a case of you (the official spokesperson of the region,lol) being slighted. Facts are facts. Those who crow about things as varied as the "boom" of Pocono real estate, to how poorly the employment outlook is in the NYC metro area is, are going to learn the same lesson that folks in the Poconos end up learning every decade or so..................................The smart ones are the locals who recognize that, and plan accordingly.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Once again it's the "oh, poor me" schtick. Any thread about the Poconos that isn't glowing, and in lockstep with your opinion is a case of you (the official spokesperson of the region,lol) being slighted. Facts are facts. Those who crow about things as varied as the "boom" of Pocono real estate, to how poorly the employment outlook is in the NYC metro area is, are going to learn the same lesson that folks in the Poconos end up learning every decade or so..................................The smart ones are the locals who recognize that, and plan accordingly.
Regardless of your claims I never learned that lesson and I did fine right here. I am not claiming it is a bed of roses. But there are always opportunities for those that look. I already posted a ling to one local company that is hiring and hiring for a fair wage. The new hospital being built will offer some good wages. Even the new supermarket will have some decent wages for those that qualify.

What is this about "oh, poor me"? That is the last thing I would claim. I have had some hard jobs when I was younger; but I was proud of the fact that I could do those jobs. Not too many people can ever claim they used to lift 120,000 pounds a day; but I can. Every job has been easy since then. I made a good living here and that is what you cannot stand. It doesn't fit your narrative. Not everybody here is unhappy and many do not want to leave. On the other hand our forum is loaded with people from the city looking for a new home out of the city. We have some developments that are almost exclusively people from the City.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Fish, you made a “good living” in the Poconos because you were willing to sacrifice being home. Being OTR I bet you spent more days per month in your truck than you did in your bed. There’s trade offs for everything. Personally, I prefer to sleep in my own bed but also not earn poverty wages while doing so. So I commute long and far. That’s my trade off. Thankfully, we’re listing the house and getting out of Dodge.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Fish, you made a “good living” in the Poconos because you were willing to sacrifice being home. Being OTR I bet you spent more days per month in your truck than you did in your bed. There’s trade offs for everything. Personally, I prefer to sleep in my own bed but also not earn poverty wages while doing so. So I commute long and far. That’s my trade off. Thankfully, we’re listing the house and getting out of Dodge.
and this is why we keep telling fisheye one persons anecdotal experience does not mean most see things that way and that is true anywhere... there are cons to every area ...

Old 06-29-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
and this is why we keep telling fisheye one persons anecdotal experience does not mean most see things that way and that is true anywhere... there are cons to every area ...
Yup. We’re originally from the Bronx (a very blue collar middle class area in the Long Island Sound). While we love the Poconos for the natural beauty and we still love the Bronx because it’s “home”, we’re leaving the East Coast altogether. Commutes vs cost of living has taken the whole region off the table for us.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:28 PM

We liked the area we were in ....it was very pretty ....but once we thought about retirement and all the things involved with aging we soured on using the poconos as a retirement home ...it just lacked to much of what was going to be important to us down the road.

Honesdale hospital and Scranton were our two local hospitals ,meh sums it up.
When you are used to nyc hospitals like north shore in Long Island or some of the manhattan hospitals which are the finest in the world those two just don’t cut it .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-29-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I only drove for fifteen years. And, yes, it is a tradeoff. I also once worked three jobs; I did whatever it took to succeed. Fortunately that was not for a long period of time. Controlling spending also plays a big roll; if you overspend it does not make any difference how much you make or where you live. I know people right now that have many thousands of dollars of credit card debt. While credit cards can help people; the interest rates will destroy them if they get too far behind.

Your long commute sacrifices quality time at home just like long distance truck driving. Fortunately your bed is a little softer than the bed in the bunk of a sleeper truck!

Do you know commuters that were allowed to work at home during this corona virus? If you do; is there a chance that some will never again be required to commute?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I only drove for fifteen years. And, yes, it is a tradeoff. I also once worked three jobs; I did whatever it took to succeed. Fortunately that was not for a long period of time. Controlling spending also plays a big roll; if you overspend it does not make any difference how much you make or where you live. I know people right now that have many thousands of dollars of credit card debt. While credit cards can help people; the interest rates will destroy them if they get too far behind.

Your long commute sacrifices quality time at home just like long distance truck driving. Fortunately your bed is a little softer than the bed in the bunk of a sleeper truck!

Do you know commuters that were allowed to work at home during this corona virus? If you do; is there a chance that some will never again be required to commute?
I worked from home from March 6 through yesterday. Today is my first day back on campus and for now, my presence will be staggered until at least September. I’ve always had a schedule that allowed me to telecommute so I didn’t have to do my drive every day 6 months out of the year. On those weeks that I needed to be onsite more than 2 days in a row I would crash at my parents two miles from my job.

One major plus is we have always lived within our means, well within. Case in point we bought our house out of foreclosure in cash. Did a small equity loan for some renovations and paid that off in 5 years. From what we paid and what our current market value is, if we sell even 25k below what we can ask we’re still coming out well ahead, even factoring in taxes, maintenance, community dues, etc. for the past 7 years. And we’ve banked money all these years as well. We don’t mess with credit cards unless the intention to pay in full at the end of the month is there. Only debt we have is 2 cars and those will be paid off ahead of schedule. Luckily, we both belong to unions that have employer funded tuition programs. I did a second bachelors, a masters and am working on PhD with no cost to me other than books.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I worked from home from March 6 through yesterday. Today is my first day back on campus and for now, my presence will be staggered until at least September. I’ve always had a schedule that allowed me to telecommute so I didn’t have to do my drive every day 6 months out of the year. On those weeks that I needed to be onsite more than 2 days in a row I would crash at my parents two miles from my job.

One major plus is we have always lived within our means, well within. Case in point we bought our house out of foreclosure in cash. Did a small equity loan for some renovations and paid that off in 5 years. From what we paid and what our current market value is, if we sell even 25k below what we can ask we’re still coming out well ahead, even factoring in taxes, maintenance, community dues, etc. for the past 7 years. And we’ve banked money all these years as well. We don’t mess with credit cards unless the intention to pay in full at the end of the month is there. Only debt we have is 2 cars and those will be paid off ahead of schedule. Luckily, we both belong to unions that have employer funded tuition programs. I did a second bachelors, a masters and am working on PhD with no cost to me other than books.
there are some interesting forums on citi data devoted to personal finance , investing and reirement/retirement planning .

as an investor for 33 years in both financial markets and commercial real estate in manhattan i am very active in them .

i spent more than a decade with real estate mogul bernard spitzer , elliot's father , as my partner in some very lucrative lease right investments in manhattan commercial real estate.

we also had a real estate investment LLC with my wife ,son and brother inlaw which invested in rent stabilized co-op apartments with original tenants who didnt buy in the very prestigious 200 central park south building ... we owned 9 apartments where we either bought out the leases and sold the 7 figure apartments. we had two apartments left where the tenants wouldn't take a lease buy out offer so we sold those last year to an investor group for cents on the dollar ... the way the deal worked out those apartments cost us nothing so selling them at a steep disccount was worth it as we want no real estate and tenants in retirement to deal with anymore .

needless to say nyc has presented us with incredible opportunity .

i grew up in a nyc housing project and i always made myself a promise i would never ever raise my own family in one .... it motivated me to do well financially for as long as i worked.

going back was never going to be an option .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-30-2020 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania