Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 02:22 AM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaccount View Post
To the OP:

You're young. Come live in NYC. Rent is coming down. It's quite COVID-19 safe now.

YOLO
there is something to be said for that .

if you have the skill set you can do proportionately well here in nyc .

as those who live in smaller towns and cities see , transplants tend to have more wealth if they were homeowners here .

a home that is 600k-700k and saw a mere 3% appreciation over the many years is way way more of a forced savings then a 200k home going up 3% .

so transplants tend to relocate with a lot more money for the same job function .

higher salary's tend to result in much higher ss checks too for life .

we found tafton life cost us about 1/3 less than queens did ... but salary for my line of work was 1/2 .

so we never relocated .. the closest place i could work was honesdale where a competitor i knew was .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-02-2020 at 02:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

But then we have nature to watch instead of somebody spray painting our vehicles. So everything is a tradeoff one way or another. Perhaps that is why we are currently living in a seller's market because of the people trying to escape the cities?
They don’t spray paint your car in the poconos ...they just try to shoot you as you drive through hawley .

If you go to the hawley diner to eat , perhaps sit in the no shooting section

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...e-26a310a745c0

Old 08-02-2020, 05:07 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They don’t spray paint your car in the poconos ...they just try to shoot you as you drive through hawley .

If you go to the hawley diner to eat , perhaps sit in the no shooting section

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...e-26a310a745c0
Should we start posting every shooting or crime that we can find in NYC? All you want to do is smear our area and you don't live here anymore!

Old 08-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Should we start posting every shooting or crime that we can find in NYC? All you want to do is smear our area and you don't live here anymore!
Well didn’t you comment about spray painting cars , you don’t live here .. there are loads of areas with out issues . It goes both ways ..the poconos have their share of crime too that one can point out

Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Well didn’t you comment about spray painting cars , you don’t live here .. there are loads of areas with out issues . It goes both ways ..the poconos have their share of crime too that one can point out
You come off as petty and I don't feel you're being honest about your real reasons.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Am I going to have call the nun on you guys?? (fisheye & mathjak107)

Old 08-06-2020, 09:58 AM

48 posts, read 58,132 times
Honestly, to the OP - it's a recipe for disaster to move to the countryside without employment. Get a job first, then buy the house. We're in a seller's market right now, meaning that housing prices are spiking. Just because they're lower than wherever you're coming from, doesn't necessarily make them a good investment.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,080 times
People have been trying to escape the expensive cities for 20 years now. It really has accelerated over the last 6 months with covid. I have noticed a large influx of plates from NY City and NJ. I have a new neighbor behind me from Essex County. Many of the cars driving by lately have NY or NJ plates. Some people are sour grapes and they can go be pissed all they want. It doesn't affect me that they were and still are unhappy. Moving here was the best thing my wife and I ever did for ourselves. We started out with entry level stuff but both worked our way up quickly. 15 years later, our house is paid off and we have a beautiful view of the valley from our bay windows and a nice fenced in woodsy back yard for the dogs. If it didn't work out for some of you, sorry, but a lot of us are doing just fine and happy living here.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM

48 posts, read 58,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
People have been trying to escape the expensive cities for 20 years now. It really has accelerated over the last 6 months with covid.
Respectfully disagree. The cities in the northeast have been booming over the last decade, I believe. Agree 100% with the latter point though, people are fleeing the cities right now like rats from a sinking ship. Can you blame them (us)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Many of the cars driving by lately have NY or NJ plates. Some people are sour grapes and they can go be pissed all they want. It doesn't affect me that they were and still are unhappy. Moving here was the best thing my wife and I ever did for ourselves. We started out with entry level stuff but both worked our way up quickly. 15 years later, our house is paid off and we have a beautiful view of the valley from our bay windows and a nice fenced in woodsy back yard for the dogs. If it didn't work out for some of you, sorry, but a lot of us are doing just fine and happy living here.
This is good intel, honestly. It's good to know that the move has worked out well for some here.

And by the way, our plates are PA plates, so you won't even notice us

Old 08-06-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.w. View Post
Respectfully disagree. The cities in the northeast have been booming over the last decade, I believe. Agree 100% with the latter point though, people are fleeing the cities right now like rats from a sinking ship. Can you blame them (us)?

This is good intel, honestly. It's good to know that the move has worked out well for some here.

And by the way, our plates are PA plates, so you won't even notice us
Don't you have to wear a yellow arm band?

Where I live I think I might be the only person not wearing one! Especially when shopping in Mt. Pocono I am the minority. One cannot claim that our little section of our County does not practice diversity. But our transplants are mainly from NYC and not from Philadelphia. Most from Philadelphia are settling in the western part of our County or in Carbon County because of the ease of access to the Turnpike. Here NYC wants an easy access to I-80.

Have you had any promising leads? And are you getting a better 'feel' for our area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania