Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What's worse, that was "invented", marketed in our lifetime. I remember that little girl too.

I made halushki a few weeks ago and nobody else wanted any. It took me 3 days to choke it all down. I didn't know that I was supposed to add it to scrambled eggs.
LOL!!
Ahhh...someone ELSE showing their age!!! You know "John NEVER has a second cup of coffee at home"!!!

It sounds funny now, but when I was growing up, everyone DID add eggs (or eggs, milk & noodles) to whatever they had leftover to make another meal!! It's amazing what you'll eat & how you'll stretch food if you don't have a lotta money!!

To this day, I feel ashamed if I have to throw anything out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
...It sounds funny now, but when I was growing up, everyone DID add eggs (or eggs, milk & noodles) to whatever they had leftover to make another meal!! It's amazing what you'll eat & how you'll stretch food if you don't have a lotta money!!

To this day, I feel ashamed if I have to throw anything out!!
We never threw anything out either - my Great Aunt lived with us and she lived through the depression. She used to wash and reuse paper towels! However, we didn't do the egg thing. The weeks leftovers usually ended up in either a soup (I still do this today) or a tomato gravy for spaghetti. We've had some weird things in our spaghetti over the years! LOL! My Gr. Aunt used to have the leftover spaghetti as a sandwich to use it all up too!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:10 AM

YEAH! I made my very first loaf of bread from scratch (no bread machine). Used a recipe from a book called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. It was a simple whole wheat bread - just flour, salt, yeast and water - but it was good. I can't wait to do another one now. No more store bought bread for me! It was easier than I thought it was going to be. Everyone made it seem like it was hard, so I've never tried it before.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
YEAH! I made my very first loaf of bread from scratch (no bread machine). Used a recipe from a book called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. It was a simple whole wheat bread - just flour, salt, yeast and water - but it was good. I can't wait to do another one now. No more store bought bread for me! It was easier than I thought it was going to be. Everyone made it seem like it was hard, so I've never tried it before.
Spaghetti sandwich huh?? Never tried THAT one!! If we had leftover spaghetti, we'd throw it in a frying pan with (YES!!! you guessed it!!!) eggs!!!

Making bread is easy!! The hardest thing about it is that it takes time for all the risings...

Next time, try adding 3tbsp of dried dill, or 1 tsp each dried basil/oregano/garlic powder to the flour before mixing & kneading!! It tastes great, & if you toast it....OH MY!!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 AM

No kneading with the recipe I used, which was quite nice. I got the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" from the library. I did something very plain because I wasn't sure how it was going to come out and I didn't want to waste a lot of stuff on it. The only variation was I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour. Since it came out well, I'm looking to make some more interesting variations next weekend. Damn work gets in the way of the stuff I wanna do! I like sound of the basil/oregano/garlic one. I love garlic.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 PM

371 posts, read 937,999 times
And this woman can COOK I tell ya

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
My father grew up during the Great Depression. I swear, we saved string! We were soup makers rather than egg scramblers too. Anything could show up in that soup.

Quote:
We never threw anything out either - my Great Aunt lived with us and she lived through the depression. She used to wash and reuse paper towels! However, we didn't do the egg thing. The weeks leftovers usually ended up in either a soup (I still do this today) or a tomato gravy for spaghetti. We've had some weird things in our spaghetti over the years! LOL! My Gr. Aunt used to have the leftover spaghetti as a sandwich to use it all up too!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
My father grew up during the Great Depression. I swear, we saved string! We were soup makers rather than egg scramblers too. Anything could show up in that soup.
What's wrong with saving string? I do. I also save gift bags, bubble wrap, gift boxes, ribbon, good quality wrapping paper and paper bags... I haven't bought something to wrap a gift in in about 10 years! And I still have 3 plastic bins under the bed full of that stuff. LOL!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
What's wrong with saving string? I do. I also save gift bags, bubble wrap, gift boxes, ribbon, good quality wrapping paper and paper bags... I haven't bought something to wrap a gift in in about 10 years! And I still have 3 plastic bins under the bed full of that stuff. LOL!
LOLOL!!! Both these posts made me smile, 'cause ALL my relatives saved EVERYTHING right down to bent, rusty nails pulled out of old 2x4's!!!

When we moved from NY to Fl, it took me [3] 40-foot dumpsters to get rid of all the "saved" stuff (as well as so many trips to Goodwill that they knew me by name & RAN when they saw me coming!!

I still "save" a lotta stuff, but now I "save" in moderation!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Hey now, bubble wrap and gift bags are another story! I only save twine and cording in nice long lengths.

I think that we're supposed to be talking about food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania