Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM

307 posts, read 768,213 times

Advertisements

Enya, I would love the spinach pie recipe! My Husband and I love Greek food. Any other Greek recipes would be great too!
These recipes are great. I make a different type of haluski- I make the homemade noodles, But I brown kelbasa and add sliced onion and cabbage, when it cooks down I add the noodles and serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

I tried a piece of Pecan Praline up there & it was SO good, but I refused to pay $15.00 for a 2"x2" piece, so I'm gonna do the trial & error thing & make it myself & then I'll post the recipe for y'all.

Well folks, I tried trial & error & found a recipe for Pecan Praline that tastes JUST like the stuff I tried in Savannah!!

Very easy, just have all the ingredients measured & ready & make SURE the syrup gets to 239 degrees (no more...no less) which you will need a candy thermometer to gauge....

Enjoy!!

1- 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cups light brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup + 2 T. Half and Half

1/2 stick butter

1 1/2 cups pecans

1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients except the pecans and vanilla in a heavy saucepan.

Mixture will be thick. Stir until it comes to a boil, then turn heat down to a low boil. Stir occasionally; spoon mixture up on sides of pan to melt any sugar that hasn't melted.

Cook until the mixture reaches 239 degrees with a candy thermometer.
Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla and the pecans. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken and becomes creamy and cloudy. Spoon onto waxed paper to harden.

What usually happens is that by the time the mixture turns cloudy, signaling that it is time to drop onto the waxed paper, it starts hardening too fast to drop correctly. You should then stir in about 1 - 2 tablespoons of warm water to thin the mixture. Don't add too much - just enough to make the spoonfuls drop and settle in a "puddle". You don't want them to look like chunks of rocks.

If cooked to the correct temperature, it won't take a minute to harden by stirring. If you don't cook them long enough, they remain "sticky" and never become firm. They should be firm, yet creamy. If you don't eat them all the first day, wrap them individually and store them in an airtight container.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
I thought I would share my scrumptious breakfast sandwich recipe:

Bread:
  • English muffin (lightly buttered)
Filling:
  • 1 egg.
  • 1 chopped green onion
  • Chopped fresh basil (generous amount if using dried)
  • A few cranks of pepper
  • Pinch of salt.
  • Dash of milk (or cream if you're feeling really indulgent)

You can prepare this in any way, but the quickest, cleanest, and best way is to just (1) beat the filling in the smallest bowl you have; and (2) pop it in the microwave for a few minutes or until no longer runny (but not dried out). This method makes the perfect shape for a sandwich! It also holds the non-egg ingredients best.

Wild Card Ingredient:
  • Slice of roasted red pepper.
  • or a few slices of prosciutto, soppresata, etc
  • or anything else you have in the fridge
  • or leave it as is.

This is the most fun step. I usually add a slice of roasted red pepper whenever I have a jar open in the fridge or a few left over from roasting myself. But this step is only limited by your imagination and what's in your fridge.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I thought I would share my scrumptious breakfast sandwich recipe:

Bread:
  • English muffin (lightly buttered)
Filling:
  • 1 egg.
  • 1 chopped green onion
  • Chopped fresh basil (generous amount if using dried)
  • A few cranks of pepper
  • Pinch of salt.
  • Dash of milk (or cream if you're feeling really indulgent)

You can prepare this in any way, but the quickest, cleanest, and best way is to just (1) beat the filling in the smallest bowl you have; and (2) pop it in the microwave for a few minutes or until no longer runny (but not dried out). This method makes the perfect shape for a sandwich! It also holds the non-egg ingredients best.

Wild Card Ingredient:
  • Slice of roasted red pepper.
  • or a few slices of prosciutto, soppresata, etc
  • or anything else you have in the fridge
  • or leave it as is.

This is the most fun step. I usually add a slice of roasted red pepper whenever I have a jar open in the fridge or a few left over from roasting myself. But this step is only limited by your imagination and what's in your fridge.
Sounds great!!! Up in New York there was a deli that was famous for it's breakfast sandwich which they called "A Button" (the name of the place was The Deli Button)

Every time we'd fly up for a visit, we had to stop in & have 1 (or 2).
I figured out how they made them so I make 'em at home now.

Warning: they're a heart attack waiting to happen!!!

1-Kaiser roll
2-eggs
2-slices yellow American cheese.
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
butter
salt/pepper
Lots of frying oil

(optional)-fried bacon/sausage/ham

Cook the eggs in the oil til done the way you like (I use 1/4 inch deep oil in the pan...that's what crisps the edges & browns it nicely & the "secret" to why their sandwiches taste so good!!)

While they're cooking, butter both sides of the kaiser roll, lay the cheese on it & place the jalapenos on the cheese. When the eggs are done, lift out of the oil & let excess oil drain off (not TOO much) & put on top of the jalapenos & then salt & pepper to taste. Put the top on the sandwich & enjoy!!

We usually have them about 4 times a year...any more & I'd probably keel over from a coronary!!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 AM

I mentioned "Boiled Peanuts" on another thread, so I figured I'd post the recipe for y'all to enjoy over the summer!! They're a "southern thang", but VERY addicting!!!

You'll need:

A crock pot
RAW peanuts in the shell (NOT roasted)
Zatairan's Crab Boil (either liquid or dry) {OR} Cajun Seasoning
Salt
Water

Dissolve 1 cup of salt & the Crab Boil (1/2 bottle of liquid or 1/2 bag of dry [OR] 1/2 cup of the Cajun seasoning) in 6 cups of hot water.

Fill crock pot with peanuts to top (still being able to place lid on).

Add the salt/spice water & add more water 'til the peanuts are covered. (they have a tendency to float, but will settle as they cook).

Put the lid on the crock pot & cook on low for 8 hours (you may have to add a bit of water during the cooking time & I stir every now & then to get the "floaters" into the brine).

They're very messy to eat, so have your napkins ready as well as a bowl to throw the shells in. I love 'em hot, so I store the crock pot in the fridge, scoop out what I want & heat in the microwave.

When we came back from Savannah, we stopped at a gas station in Georgia & I bought a bag of deep-fried peanuts. You eat the shell & all & were really good too, so that's my next mission to try & figure out the recipe for!!

Enjoy!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
I just made something tonight that came down from my grandmother who was originally from Shenandoah many years ago. It's her "Saturday Night Special".

You can use quantities to your own taste.

I use about 1 lb sweet italian sausage links, 2 pkgs Ball Park hot dogs, 5lbs baking potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces, 4 green peppers, 3 yellow onions.

Start with cutting sausage into bite size pieces and cut the green peppers into slices...start them in a frying pan with a little oil since they take the longest to cook. Peel and cut up potatoes and put into a bowl of cold water. I use a deep fryer to cook the potatoes. Once I get that stuff started, then I cut up the hot dogs into bite size pieces and cut the onion into slivers(??). Once the sausage and peppers are done, I put them into a large glass serving bowl and put the hot dogs and onions in the frying pan. Keep an eye on these as they cook fairly quickly. In between all that, I'm still deep frying batches of potatoes and adding them to the serving bowl as well. As things finish cooking, add them to the serving bowl until all done and then mix and serve.

You can also serve Italian bread or Italian rolls with this as well.

Not the healthiest of meals but definitely very yummy!!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 AM

I made a batch of the Pecan Pralines yesterday & I had some pecans left over, so I came up with this salad dressing using stuff I had in the fridge & it actually came out REALLY good!!!

So I decided to share....

J.G.'s Orange Pecan Dressing

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice (I used with pulp)
2 tbsps chopped pecans
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp brown mustard (I use Batampte, but Gulden's should work good)
1/4 cup celery leaves chopped fine (I find a use for almost EVERYTHING!!)

Put all ingredients in a shaker bottle, put on some 50's music & shake it up!!!

Mmmmn mmmmn!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM

Poconoproud's thread about sweet corn got me hungry for corn, so I got some yesterday & had 2 ears leftover, so I came up with this recipe I thought I'd share...

When I cook corn on the cob I soak the whole ears (with husks) in a tub of water for a few hours & then grill them in the husk. I like the "roasted" taste this gives.

Jungle George's Peach/Mango Salsa with Roasted Corn

1 good-size mango diced (and I DON'T mean a green pepper when I say mango)
1 can sliced peaches drained (but saving 1/4 cup of liquid) & diced
2 ears worth of roasted corn kernels
1 large onion diced
3 (or to your taste for HOT) jalapeno or ancho peppers chopped fine
1 handful of cilantro chopped fine
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp ground pepper

Mix it all together & refrigerate. All the homemade salsa I've made taste better after a day of marinating to combine their flavors, but I snuck a taste & I think it's a keeper!!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
I wonder how well the tartness of the cilantro and the acidity of the cider vinegar balance the overpowering sweetness of the mangos and peaches. To my tastebuds, red bell pepper and cucumber could be a nice addition.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I wonder how well the tartness of the cilantro and the acidity of the cider vinegar balance the overpowering sweetness of the mangos and peaches. To my tastebuds, red bell pepper and cucumber could be a nice addition.
That sounds like a really cool addition Commish!! The red pepper would be a nice color addition too!!

But if we put in a red pepper, wouldn't it be too much "mango"????

I'll let you know tomorrow how the "finished product" balances out, but the preliminary was "encouraging"...it didn't seem "overly" sweet or "overly" sour...I do LOVE surprises!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania