Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 36,256 times

Advertisements

Wonder if anyone could tell me the true commute time from Stroudsburg on I 80 to Parsippany, NJ during rush hour? And if you should leave around 8 or 9 am, would it be a lot faster? I really appreciate the help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 23,757 times
Default Commute Times

1. The Deleware Gap is a nightmare, leave early. There are only two lanes and a reduced speed, so that's that..
2. From the edge of NJ toward Parsippany, (sans weather, and acidents), does well untill exit 28 maybe 30 at most 34, it starts to back up.
3. The last stretch of 80 (12 miles) heading toward 287 can take 20- 30 minutes, or longer.
4. There are alternates (46 and 10) but those back up with traffic, often due to traffice lights.

Best guess is 1:20 (fastest possible) to 2:00 (sometimes worse).

Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,875,896 times
They need to build a new highway in between 80 and 78. I have studied maps over and over to find slightly out of the way routes that would still be faster and there just are none. You could try 94 to 23 to 287 but it would be way out of your way. There just is no option other than 80 and I think that needs to change.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM

62 posts, read 239,075 times
The last thing this area needs is more highways, PA has so many highways it is starting to resemble Florida. Instead of building more roads, people should start supporting and starting locally owned and operating businesses so that NEPA doesnt become another off shoot of NY like New Jersey has become.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 AM

105,674 posts, read 107,628,943 times
its the ole chicken or the egg. we dont have the diversity in business so everyone buys elsewhere and no one can afford to start a business because everyone buys else where

Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM

32,604 posts, read 77,235,199 times
What we really need is more mass transit linking NEPA to NJ/NYC/Philadelphia. There is a plethora of educated and underemployed people in our region with a corresponding dearth of skilled positions available, which has led to thousands making that heinous daily commute via bus or automobile. I'm meeting more and more people who even live in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area who are making this commute, and even though I'm now pondering giving up on this area entirely to start on a clean slate in Omaha, if a high-speed commuter rail was established between NEPA and the BosWash Corridor (or even better yet if better employers than distribution centers, Burger Kings, and Wal-Marts moved in), I'd gladly stay. I'll miss this area when I leave no matter what; I've probably just been trying to prolong having to bid it farewell due to the lack of professional opportunity.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,929,784 times
Omaha? Really? What made you consider Omaha? I mean, it looks like a nice enough bigger city....but I would think Nebraska to be pretty isolated. There doesn't appear to be much within a few hours' drive of Omaha. You might be wise to maybe look at a city like Pittsburgh.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 AM

32,604 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Omaha? Really? What made you consider Omaha? I mean, it looks like a nice enough bigger city....but I would think Nebraska to be pretty isolated. There doesn't appear to be much within a few hours' drive of Omaha. You might be wise to maybe look at a city like Pittsburgh.
Omaha, unlike Scranton, has throngs of boosters on this forum who have convinced me to consider it, and I've been conversing with several members who live downtown and can't praise it highly enough. It's so walkable that a few members don't even have vehicles, it has a rather rosy employment outlook for the future, and it's tremendous what the skyline will look like over the next several years as more projects are completed downtown. It also still seems to have a "cozy" feel, much as to what I've come to love about Scranton's close-knit neighborhoods. The lone Achilles' Heel for me will be the guilt of living so far away as my parents age, but they don't have strong ties to this area either and would probably consider moving nearer to wherever I start to raise my own family after they retire. The cost-of-living downtown is similar to what the cost-of-living would be like in the Back Mountain or Abingtons around here---expensive on a relative scale but average on a national scale. I'm not completely sold on Omaha yet (hence the question marks in my location), as I'm also still considering Pittsburgh and parts of ChicagoLand.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM

62 posts, read 239,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Omaha, unlike Scranton, has throngs of boosters on this forum who have convinced me to consider it, and I've been conversing with several members who live downtown and can't praise it highly enough. It's so walkable that a few members don't even have vehicles, it has a rather rosy employment outlook for the future, and it's tremendous what the skyline will look like over the next several years as more projects are completed downtown. It also still seems to have a "cozy" feel, much as to what I've come to love about Scranton's close-knit neighborhoods. The lone Achilles' Heel for me will be the guilt of living so far away as my parents age, but they don't have strong ties to this area either and would probably consider moving nearer to wherever I start to raise my own family after they retire. The cost-of-living downtown is similar to what the cost-of-living would be like in the Back Mountain or Abingtons around here---expensive on a relative scale but average on a national scale. I'm not completely sold on Omaha yet (hence the question marks in my location), as I'm also still considering Pittsburgh and parts of ChicagoLand.
I would strike Chicagoland due to land prices, and definitely visit nebraska before you get to enthralled with it, you may find it very attractive, but might also find it to be a place where most people you meet just want to get out of. If you like snow, scenery, sparsely populated land, etc I would check out Idaho...I know...Idaho sounds lame, but I have been to every state in the country multiple times (aside from Alaska) and Idaho is the affordable place that keeps me wanting to go back.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,929,784 times
I have heard that Boise is a really nice city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania