Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 02:10 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,394,312 times

Advertisements

Well pump last week
Forced air oil furnace today.
Carrier, 21 years old. Apparently caught on fire at some point recently and luckily shut itself down.
We're looking at replacing it with either another Carrier or some brands I've never heard of.
Should I go with the name?
And our Carrier a/c unit - installed at the same time - has been fine but is also likely to crap out soon.
Repair firm is here as we speak. Tech said they might be offering a deal to replace both at the same time & save a lot of money.
Would y'all do that?
Obv. we'll be financing this, no matter what we do. I don't have spare $10k sitting around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 02:16 PM

Therno Pride Spirit furnace. 10-yr warranty, just like Carrier, lots cheaper. This is what the guy recommends.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:21 PM

30,619 posts, read 16,294,599 times
I'd probably go for it. It won't get any cheaper if replaced in a few years and if you can get a deal on replacing both now, makes sense to me.

Just make sure the 'might' turns into a 'will'.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:22 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,152,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Therno Pride Spirit furnace. 10-yr warranty, just like Carrier, lots cheaper. This is what the guy recommends.

https://www.furnacecompare.com/mfr/t...ride/furnaces/

Old 01-26-2021, 02:40 PM

8,118 posts, read 7,492,226 times
Wow, good luck with all that. The joys of home ownership!

Our old Bethlehem Dynatherm boiler went bad a few years ago. It was about 50 years old and they just don't make 'em like that anymore. Unfortunately it had an asbestos jacket on it, which cost an additional $1800 and 4 weeks to remove! Luckily the unit still worked during that time, albeit with some manual intervention.

RJ Groner installed our new unit, a New Yorker boiler, and I recommend both. But we have hot water radiators, and I'm not sure if New Yorker makes forced air units. We got 6.99% financing from an outfit called Green Sky and their customer service and website are pretty good.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:33 PM

Thank you, all.

We went for it: A/C as well as furnace. Financed, $11k-ish for both, as well as some piping or something that the furnace fire took out. Also a new thermostat. I think we saved about $1500 doing them both now...
Yes, jtab, it's Groner - they've been good over the years.

Man, this has been just horrible luck for us.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:30 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,390,047 times
I will throw my hat into RJ Groner. Replaced water heater and had them do some minor plumbing work. Been good to me as well. You are scaring me, Gettingouttahere. I know I am on borrowed time with my furnace although no problems as of yet.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:40 PM

25 posts, read 17,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Well pump last week
Forced air oil furnace today.
Carrier, 21 years old. Apparently caught on fire at some point recently and luckily shut itself down.

Obv. we'll be financing this, no matter what we do. I don't have spare $10k sitting around.

What does oby mean? Someone that owns an older home really should have some money 'sitting around' for these things. When people use terms like sitting around, I get the sense money burns a hole in their pocket. Then they complain on the interweb about the results of misguided thinking.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:33 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,152,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
What does oby mean? Someone that owns an older home really should have some money 'sitting around' for these things. When people use terms like sitting around, I get the sense money burns a hole in their pocket. Then they complain on the interweb about the results of misguided thinking.

Its not "oby" its "obv" short for "obviously".....common sense among some owning an older home knowing that it might need repairs IS to have money set aside, of course if they can, for said repairs....obviously not everyone can do that but that doesn't mean there aren't those who can....so don't judge others from behind a keyboard without knowing their situation.....

Old 01-30-2021, 08:57 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,690,672 times
Unfortunately many people do llive paycheck to paycheck. Some may be able to save a few thousand but it becomes difficult when something like this happens. We are very careful savers but with the pandemic, my pay went down about 40% from the year before. We had to go into that savings pretty heavily. Then the big renovation project hit down south and we had to dip into our Helock. Not happy about that, but it beats high interest credit cards. So even as a multi home owner, cash flow is critical and circumstances can change quickly. So yes, having some cash stored away for emergencies is crucial, but financing does help especially if interest rates are low, to go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania