Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 AM

13 posts, read 46,876 times

Advertisements

we just bought our first home now all i want to do is plant my veg garden coming in from nyc i havent had a yard in tears so how do i protect it from the wildlfe any ideas? just some tomotoes, herbs, peppers not toomuch do i screeen it in? fence it? any help appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishtrish61163@msn.com View Post
we just bought our first home now all i want to do is plant my veg garden coming in from nyc i havent had a yard in tears so how do i protect it from the wildlfe any ideas? just some tomotoes, herbs, peppers not toomuch do i screeen it in? fence it? any help appreciated thanks
Read the "deer proof garden" thread Welcome to the area!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishtrish61163@msn.com View Post
It would have to be a fence with a roofing on it ,of fence also...............
Between the bunnies and deer it doesn't work.
I tried to put flowers with fencing around them, and just like the neighbor said..........the little deer was right "inside" there the very next morning.
There are a lot of things you can do, but.........trying most........none have done the trick.
I have lost many a beloved flower and shrub.
Glad to see you finally arrived and had spent some time on CD learning about the areas.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM

173 posts, read 582,447 times
Haha good luck! I live in Towmensing Trails as well and let me tell you the wildlife will eat anything and everything around. It is particularly worse up there then it is a little down the mountain. I used to keep flowers and plants and all kinds of stuff when i live in Robin Hood Lakes, but just 5 miles up the road they eat everything. Flowers, Rose Bushes, Shrubs, anything!

So to keep them away you'll need to fence it in very good. There are also some invisible fence things that i heard about that are supposed to keep them out of your yard. Don't know if they work or not.. Maybe if anyone has had any experience they can share??

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times
I have just come to embrace the wildlife, and let the poor buggers eat what they want. It was a loosing battle, anyway! I gave up keeping the squirrels away from the bird feeders, and the deer away from the flowers! Rabbits dig under fences, deer jump over them, and squirrels can walk a clothesline like a tightrope walker at the circus!

welcome to the wilds!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 AM

I was so happy to grow some beautiful flowers after moving out of the deer area.........
Then, lo' and behold..........I'd wake up to huge bunches of flowers gone overnight.
The bunnies took over. I have found them sitting in the middle of a crock of flowers also......What can I say? I live on a street named after them!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 AM

13 posts, read 46,876 times
well thank u all i will figure out something i hope new yorkers are stubborn im going to try to fence and screen an area next im looking for a handy man in or around towamensing trail i have some gutters to put etc and interior painting any one have any ideas or people thanks i found a great place for italian mikes on rt 209 and the jona inn has great wings and good pizza i didnt think about bunnies all ive seen is deer darn it

Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Oh yes, Mikes is great for Italian.........They'll turn on the TV for you towards the back if you are trying to catch something during your dinner. He also did some good catering for us. If you like Mikes, you'll like going to Nicks Lake House and enjoying a meal by the lake, at Lake Harmony...........
Gosh, I was quite stubborn too, but.........I lost out. The deer were so cute and friendly, all I could do was smile. After a few years of lost shrubs.......I just put my hands up and said " You won!"...........

Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM

19 posts, read 52,841 times
I have read that deer won't cross TWO fences
so you only need a double border
tell me if it works cause i'll be up that way eventually
have hit the forum for help in finding a place to move to

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,063 times
I am moving into Towamensing Trails this week and the first thing we need is someone to mow the lawn that hasn't been cut yet this season. Does anyone know a landscaper with good rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania