Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2021, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,754 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Swiftwater PA area for a new job. I will be looking to build a house. I'm looking for privacy and seclusion. I also like the mountains. I would be moving from NJ.

Are there are any decent builders in the area? How is the terrain overall and are building costs lower than the north east? I built a home in NJ about 2 years ago and was very involved with the construction. I worked with a builder and paid him fixed fee and I paid for the labor and materials.

I will be looking for decent sized lot over 5 acres and privacy/seclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 11:36 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
5 acre building lots are hard to come by. Suggest renting at first so you can decide if you really want to make the area your permanent home.

Fine Line Homes has a very good reputation.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Like Wells5 states, acreage is hard to come by: https://www.zillow.com/pocono-township-pa/land/. There is a listing for 10.22 acres for $189,000 on Frantz Hill Road which is not too far from me.

Swiftwater is an ideal location for working at Sanofi. I would concentrate my searches in the surrounding communities, especially since (eventually) our State is supposed to start a widening project on I-80 and a lot of traffic could be expected on Route 611 from Tannersville and south. So check out our area, Henryville, Scotrun, Paradise Valley, Mt. Pocono, Pocono Lake, Pocono Pines, Cresco, Mountainhome, and Canadensis.

Let us know if you find anything an we will try to help you with what we know of the area. And, welcome, new coworker to our area!

PS I agree with Wells5 about renting first, especially if you do not find what you're looking for quickly.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Re the 10.22 acre listing, the web page says:
  • "Sewer information: Perc Test Required"
The OP needs to be careful because many lots and even acreage don't perk. There is a lot of clay in the soil and that is the problem. PA has become very strict with septic permits. It used to be that any lot could get a septic permit in PA. Many unwary buyers bought lots thinking that they would build in the future and when it came time to build found their land was unbuildable.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:25 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Nice acreage for a log cabin but having to deal with all those morons from the big city: NO THANKS!! I'll stay on my 1/2 acre in Saylorsburg on top of the mountain....

Old 03-28-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Nice acreage for a log cabin but having to deal with all those morons from the big city: NO THANKS!! I'll stay on my 1/2 acre in Saylorsburg on top of the mountain....
In all my years living here in Swiftwater I have never had anything stolen. I have also lived in this County for all, but one, of my 74 years. I go north to shop and I do not have to put up with the traffic you put up with in Brodheadsville. I can not make the same statement traveling south of my location towards Stroudsburg.

If the OP wants a home near Sanofi, this is one of the best locations. Finding what he is looking for might be a problem since there is not that much available. But he is willing to look and different properties will become available with time. It was not that long ago that me and my sisters sold the almost 17 acres with a stream, pond and waterfalls in Tannersville for only $110,000. Of course property values have increased since that time.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:26 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do not have to put up with the traffic you put up with in Brodheadsville.
What traffic?? I'm not sticking around for that mess....traffic problems there are by the 209/115 split by CVS....I take the backroads and avoid them....lot more big city knuckleheads up in the Tannersville area than down here.....

Old 03-29-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
What traffic?? I'm not sticking around for that mess....traffic problems there are by the 209/115 split by CVS....I take the backroads and avoid them....lot more big city knuckleheads up in the Tannersville area than down here.....
I only drive to Tannersville when I have to. I go north for almost all my shopping and work is only 2 miles away.

To the OP: You might have a better chance of finding acreage in Pike County around South Sterling or Newfoundland? That isn't too far away, but you would still be better off if you were closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania