Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I agree...$250-$350k isn't the norm here....but don't you wonder why new homes in that range continue to be built when the salaries out here don't support it? And the more new homes that are built in that range, the more the value of the other less expensive homes will go up.....yet the same low salaries exist. Something's got to give....the old "low cost of living" draw is not going to exist for long, IMO.
It just tells you that there is some money here. Its not the majority of the population, but there are people who are well-off around here. Its not all poor people working for minimum wage. Also, people living beyond their means accounts for some of the huge houses going up.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM

858 posts, read 3,045,103 times
Quote:
I agree...$250-$350k isn't the norm here....but don't you wonder why new homes in that range continue to be built when the salaries out here don't support it? And the more new homes that are built in that range, the more the value of the other less expensive homes will go up.....yet the same low salaries exist. Something's got to give....the old "low cost of living" draw is not going to exist for long, IMO.
There being built by people from out of town. Such as NY, taxes are nothing here V's NY, so yes house's are going up.. 350k is nothing for someone with a good job in the city. Hell they sell houses for 350k in NY, what we would pay 60k for here..

Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It just tells you that there is some money here. Its not the majority of the population, but there are people who are well-off around here. Its not all poor people working for minimum wage. Also, people living beyond their means accounts for some of the huge houses going up.
Enya brings up a good point though. My parents bought our home in 1996 for a little over $100,000. It is now appraised at well over $200,000 with little work having been done on it by our family due to the increasing residential population of our township. In the 1990s we may have been a "bargain" for real estate, but we've now risen to near the national average in terms of housing values while wages have remained FLAT, and WELL below the state and national averages at that. We're in deep trouble. Most jobs I see advertised pay in the $20,000-$35,000 per year range. How can someone earning $25,000 per year be expected to afford their own home in our area? More importantly, how can communities like my own have a median household income in the low-$40k range with median housing values nearing $200,000? We'll be a "house-poor" area by 2015 at this rate.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
There being built by people from out of town. Such as NY, taxes are nothing here V's NY, so yes house's are going up.. 350k is nothing for someone with a good job in the city. Hell they sell houses for 350k in NY, what we would pay 60k for here..
Yet another reason why we need the commuter rail. I know people in my own area now who commute daily to NYC, NJ, Harrisburg, or the Lehigh Valley for work, and I, too, am likely going to be driving daily from Scranton to one of these areas. If Scranton is too far "behind the times" on its own to attract better career opportunities, then we'll HAVE to leech off of the success of adjacent areas replete with white-collar opportunity.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
true, true.....as for the money here, I'd be interested to know the statistics on how many earning over a certain salary here are actually employed here, etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
true, true.....as for the money here, I'd be interested to know the statistics on how many earning over a certain salary here are actually employed here, etc.
I'd love to know that too. I'll just list my own subdivision as an example.

Next-door: Blended family. Husband and wife with two babies from their current relationship and four children from the wife's prior marriage. To my knowledge he's been collecting disability, and she's working at the airport. They drive a large new SUV and probably help their eldest sons out with their car payments as well. They've done extensive remodeling.

Next-door on the other side: Married couple with two children. Husband is a CPA who works for his father. Wife works at the office with them. They own a brand new pick-up truck, BMW, mini-van, ATV, trailer, and live in a nice home. They are building a new home in a new Back Mountain subdivision.

Two-doors down: Husband owns a fireworks store. Wife is unemployed. Drive a Mercdes-Benz, new pick-up truck, and have done very extensive renovations recently.

End of street: Woman who works at a school cafeteria and troubled adult son living at home. Drives a newer Eclipse. Home is very well-kept.

I just don't understand how everyone around me is "living the high life" with what they do for a living?! Our family earns $90,000 annually. What are WE doing wrong?!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We live in the Northeast. I shouldn't still be seeing so many of my customers with mullets and driving 25-year-old cars with rust damage and duct-tape.

NEPA has the highest jobless rate in the state. Scranton has the second highest unemployment rate in the state. HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS IN THE LAST YEAR IN THE NATION?

NOT everyone has the seemingly huge amounts disposable income that you seem to. Maybe they are just trying to maintain a car so that they can get back and forth from where every they need to for their family...

MAYBE THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO PURCHASE A NEW CAR......

By the way on the topic of bettering oneself.....Congradulations on becoming a college gradute this spring.......Hows the job market?

Its not whether or not he would have been a good or bad zoning officer.....THEY CREATED A POSITION FOR HIM FOR A POLITICAL FAVOR TO HIS FATHER AND WANTED US TO PAY HIM $32,000 A YEAR TO DO NOTHING.

We do not need another zoning officer, we need ONE QUALIFIED ZONING OFFICER.

The city can not afford to spending money on this crap right now.....

Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 AM

858 posts, read 3,045,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Yet another reason why we need the commuter rail. I know people in my own area now who commute daily to NYC, NJ, Harrisburg, or the Lehigh Valley for work, and I, too, am likely going to be driving daily from Scranton to one of these areas. If Scranton is too far "behind the times" on its own to attract better career opportunities, then we'll HAVE to leech off of the success of adjacent areas replete with white-collar opportunity.
And what may I ask you think thats going to do for Scranton???

Commuter rail!!!

Great! So it will be alot cheaper and easyer for all the low lifes to make there way into Scranton...

commuter rail === More drugs, crime, and so on...

Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
And what may I ask you think thats going to do for Scranton???

Commuter rail!!!

Great! So it will be alot cheaper and easyer for all the low lifes to make there way into Scranton...

commuter rail === More drugs, crime, and so on...
I agree. It will bring in an influx of New Yorkers......that's done wonders for the Poconos. hasn't it? Property taxes through the roof, lousy schools, crime, unaffordable home prices...the Poconos locals have been priced out of their own hometowns....just what we need here....New Yorkers to bring civilization to us banjo-pickin', mullet-headed, Pinto-driving hillbillies...

I like Scranton because its Scranton, I do not want it to be Manhattan. To anyone here who wants Scranton to be something its not, why not just move to NYC or NJ? And let us people who like NE PA the way it is keep it as it is.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
There will never be a commuter rail from Scranton. There might be a train but it not be a quick route, easy maybe, but not quick. I doubt we will see in our lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania