Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
....New Yorkers to bring civilization to us banjo-pickin', mullet-headed, Pinto-driving hillbillies....

Pintos? Please I'm cruisin the Pacer.

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
NEPA has the highest jobless rate in the state. Scranton has the second highest unemployment rate in the state. HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS IN THE LAST YEAR IN THE NATION?

NOT everyone has the seemingly huge amounts disposable income that you seem to. Maybe they are just trying to maintain a car so that they can get back and forth from where every they need to for their family...

MAYBE THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO PURCHASE A NEW CAR......

By the way on the topic of bettering oneself.....Congradulations on becoming a college gradute this spring.......Hows the job market?

Its not whether or not he would have been a good or bad zoning officer.....THEY CREATED A POSITION FOR HIM FOR A POLITICAL FAVOR TO HIS FATHER AND WANTED US TO PAY HIM $32,000 A YEAR TO DO NOTHING.

We do not need another zoning officer, we need ONE QUALIFIED ZONING OFFICER.

The city can not afford to spending money on this crap right now.....
Why is our area's jobless rate so high? It's mostly the fault of the populace themselves. How many blue-collars around here graduated from high school, went straight to work for a place like Techneglas, and thought "I'll be here forever" without a care in the world about a "back-up plan?" Manufacturing is NOT making a huge resurgence into NEPA, or the U.S. as a whole any time soon, and instead of adapting to the times by going back to school to learn a skilled trade or to make themselves more marketable for white-collar work, most are just falling by the wayside and tumbling through the cracks. I don't dislike blue-collar people, but they, as an aggregate, are delusional if they think they have "long-term job security," when not even WHITE-COLLAR folks have job security anymore. Even major accounting firms have laid off recently due to a scarcity of work as more and more of their clients cut back on professional financial services (or fold completely). I'm aware of this. I plan to diversify myself when I go to graduate school to have multiple talents. Too many locals still have that "work at da fact-tree for turdy-eight years" mentality, and that's HORRIFIC considering their place could close up shop at the drop of a hat, leaving them unemployed for months! People around here NEED back-up plans, and school is NOT "only for the rich." There is a LOT of financial aid out there (99% of King's students actually receive aid), scholarships, state-sponsored job-seeking programs, etc. There's no excuse to NOT be diversified with the worst recession we've seen since the Great Depression. I'll be graduating with only about $20,000 in debt. If I relocate to another area and snag a starting salary of $55,000 per year, I can have that debt repaid in only a few years. Not a bad investment, if I do say so myself.

High-paying jobs come from high-paying firms who want to employ highly-trained, skilled, and specialized people. Why would they come to an area with one of the nation's lowest educational attainment rates? They'd have to invest large sums of money in importing skilled labor from other areas or massive training/tuition reimbursement to train most locals to perform such work. If I were going to see a financial planner I'd want someone EDUCATED and QUALIFIED, not someone "cutesy" or "folksy" (this is why I reviled Gov. Sarah Palin so much, but I digress). I don't care how "devoted" you are to your work, if you don't have the skills, then I'm not going to hire you. Major employers feel the same way. We're SCREWED like this in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre until that tide turns.

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'd love to know that too. I'll just list my own subdivision as an example.

Next-door: Blended family. Husband and wife with two babies from their current relationship and four children from the wife's prior marriage. To my knowledge he's been collecting disability, and she's working at the airport. They drive a large new SUV and probably help their eldest sons out with their car payments as well. They've done extensive remodeling.

Next-door on the other side: Married couple with two children. Husband is a CPA who works for his father. Wife works at the office with them. They own a brand new pick-up truck, BMW, mini-van, ATV, trailer, and live in a nice home. They are building a new home in a new Back Mountain subdivision.

Two-doors down: Husband owns a fireworks store. Wife is unemployed. Drive a Mercdes-Benz, new pick-up truck, and have done very extensive renovations recently.

End of street: Woman who works at a school cafeteria and troubled adult son living at home. Drives a newer Eclipse. Home is very well-kept.

I just don't understand how everyone around me is "living the high life" with what they do for a living?! Our family earns $90,000 annually. What are WE doing wrong?!
That sounds an awful lot like people living on plastic......way beyond their means. They'll pay the piper sooner or later.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree. It will bring in an influx of New Yorkers......that's done wonders for the Poconos. hasn't it? Property taxes through the roof, lousy schools, crime, unaffordable home prices...the Poconos locals have been priced out of their own hometowns....just what we need here....New Yorkers to bring civilization to us banjo-pickin', mullet-headed, Pinto-driving hillbillies...

I like Scranton because its Scranton, I do not want it to be Manhattan. To anyone here who wants Scranton to be something its not, why not just move to NYC or NJ? And let us people who like NE PA the way it is keep it as it is.
Funny you bring up the Pocono's, when I worked up there locals would call it the "little apple".

Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Paul I need some glue and duct tape for my ride....I'll be there in about an hour...........

This is what we will start seeing in the streets if the economy doesn't turn around soon. At least the gas is cheaper and when it breaks down you can eat it..

Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Pintos? Please I'm cruisin the Pacer.
Actually its a Citation for me:
http://www.itsveryeasytoremember.com/assets/images/citation_01.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Paul I need some glue and duct tape for my ride....I'll be there in about an hour...........

This is what we will start seeing in the streets if the economy doesn't turn around soon. At least the gas is cheaper and when it breaks down you can eat it..
http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0032.gif (broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,960 times
Quote:
People around here NEED back-up plans,
And do you have one??
Quote:
I'll be graduating with only about $20,000 in debt. If I relocate to another area and snag a starting salary of $55,000 per year, I can have that debt repaid in only a few years. Not a bad investment, if I do say so myself.
Only 20k.... Wow who did you get to pay for your school?? Grants out of tax payers money..

Noone gets 4 years for only 20k!!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Funny you bring up the Pocono's, when I worked up there locals would call it the "little apple".
I don't find NJ/NY/SEPA transplants to be so "reviling." Just look at EnyaGirl, coartist88, memoriesbre, Summering, Chefkey, Jimmy Lane, blip, poconosmama, I LOVE PA, and the throngs of other transplants on our forum who seem like fine, upstanding people. I work with a bunch of people from the BosWash Corridor, including a great guy from Boston whose new daughter is currently battling a disease. A lot of my customers now have the BosWash Corridor accents as well. I just helped a guy the other day who just moved to Edwardsville from NJ and has been fixing up his home. I'm noticing more and more out-of-state license plates on local roadways, presumably from people scouring for real estate.

You, weluvpa, Go Phillies, and the others need to stop "fighting" this. The onslaught of transplants is now on its way into Luzerne/Lackawanna Counties. Our counties GREW in population for the past couple of years thanks to both them and the explosion of minorities here. Homes are getting fixed up. Our downtowns are coming back. I'll look at the POSITIVES these transplants are bringing instead of only the negatives. You can't just throw up a "Great Wall of Scranton" to keep them out like the Chinese tried to do with the Mongolians. They're going to break through eventually when they realize that Monroe County isn't all it's "hyped" up to be and that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is a much more stable area with friendlier faces and better shopping/dining/nightlife/arts. They're coming. They're coming. Nothing you all can say will STOP that!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
And do you have one??

Only 20k.... Wow who did you get to pay for your school?? Grants out of tax payers money..

Noone gets 4 years for only 20k!!
It's called I had an SAT of 1300 and graduated high school with honors. I received generous financial aid from King's, scholarships, and yes, some Stafford loans that I WILL be repaying. That's another thing you need to learn up in Scranton. "Loan" does NOT equal "grant." Even if I were to die today en route to work my estate would be liable to repay my loans. I'm not getting a "free ride" from people like you.

My back-up plan(s) is/are none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania